The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 12th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearusertoo View Post
@Big Bang: I wouldn't call the Dave Holland band recording you posted on page 12 "microscopic". That was a real-world example.

And since I do rock/pop/blues, I am worried about what I will hear when mine arrive.

To go out and listen to them from where I live would mean a train journey to Germany costing me about 1/2 of the cost of one speaker!

So I am very much relying on what users are posting here.
Exactly, its the equivalente to a sinewave sweap. i dont understand how people can say ''oh-thats ok, I can live with that'' ...

I do get you man, same with me! Not a shop in a million kilometers offer Adams... and thomann is a life-saver! that is why I still linger on to this thread, hoping to hear about the flanges and other (proper)slutz.

I dont want to you refer back at all, but that was how the whole story started for me. Right at the end of my very first mix (heavy GT based) I invited a friend over (jazz d-bass player who asked advice for speakers) to demo him the uber-amazingness of the Adam sound (A7x) - he brought in precisely that CD. I thought sh*t was rattling all over the place (CD cases, cups and other crap) - when I realized what the sound was I almost had a heart attack.

Yes, this IS a design issue, but in my specific analysis, I was floored and how loud it sounded, at such low volume - but from many reports, only when cranked this starts to happen - that is the only ''mystery''
Old 12th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
thumbsup

Thank you! I really like reading your posts. I have used, unfortunately never owned, P11A's and S3a - which is why, like TeeBee, I simply cannot live without the Adam ''brushing''. - i am sure I would great great results with Focals if I bought and got used to them, I dont like Gens at all, I broke in and used a pair of BM15a which impressed me, but... I love Adam to death - the translation can be magical.

Finally, this is the first review that inspires me confidence, as I've never noticed any issue of port chuffing/noise - but then again, I was on the jobs, rarely alone, not at home with time to spare with my own sets. Obviously on the X line they have to compromise somewhere, yet I am still amazed by the price.

And the A3X, which I never ever really considered because I simply did not believe the first couple of reviews here... wow! got to check them out now!

Must be super great to have for tracking and to ''ns-10'' on distorted guitars and carving up the gaps in the low-mid for that real punch. I just got all excited again heh (those flanges are taking their time, hope its Adam taking double time to really clean up the mess!)

kingofswing (love the avatar pun ) - let me throw you a question, what would be your feeling towards the A3x+sub versus a full range speaker? What would choose as a crossover point for them? (obviously, ''off the record'' - just as here-say reference)
'cos now I am seriously thinking of this setup for the main control room and finally setting up a second mixing room to free the main for more tracking. thanks!

Thanks Big_Bang thumbsup

Regarding the Adam A3X, just like you, I was not sure about the reviews and the handling of such a small speaker. But upon listening to both the A3X and A7X, I got to check them out good and proper. I even flashed a torch into the ports to check for wires, I could see no loose wires through the ports on these units.

The A3X is a heavy little box, well built and looks like any other Adam speaker, no compromises other than the missing room EQ at the back. The mid/bass woofer felt solid too, not like cheap paper, but well constructed. I had my ears right up to to the X-art, woofer and ports on both models when playing at loud spls, no obvious port issue or rattles. Now to your question...

Based on knowing the size limitations of this speaker, they do go very loud and offer very good midrange detail and yet still retain a fair amount of low-mid punch for kicks, etc. The bass can be heard, but not so much of a feel factor like the bigger brothers, but there is some feel for the bass end, quite surprising actually. Depending on room size and positioning, you may get a decent sweet spot and be more than happy with the low end. Stereo imaging was impressive. I would say something like a Sub 7 (I have only used the original Sub 10), would really open up the mid-high defintion on these little speakers and thus allow for a far more extended bass experience. The headroom for the mid woofer and tweeter will increase for more essential details, whilst the sub can get on with pumping out the lows.

Bear in mind that careful placement will need to be considered, but once you get the right spot and set the right balance of sub volume level / x-over point to suit both the speaker balance and the room, it will work wonders. It's a shame the Adam sub does not have a foot switch, but as long as you get to know the A3X speaker behaviour, then you will be fine making small adjustments in the mix.

Regarding the x-over point, If it were a bigger box like the A7X, I would let the sub kick in much lower around 50-60hz or so down. With the A3X, I would set the Sub x-over around 80-90hz or even higher. But the key would be to experiment with that range and fine tune for your taste and music. I'm sure it will sound great.

To be honest based on what I heard yesterday, I still cannot decide between the A3X and A7X. They are both great boxes. With the A7X, you don't really need a sub, but you will have to live with the overall bigger box character (but once you know the sound, thats it), whilst with the A3X, it does a great job with mid-highs, and that nice low mid punch, and so a small sub will be a good 'mono' addition for extened low end performance. But essentially you have two seperate characters to adjust to. I do feel that the A3X makes a good second reference for someone with larger main monitors (for subtle detail mixing) , or for someone who needs small detailed monitors for mobile work and laptop music production / mixing. The A7X would be the ideal choice as main nearfields in smaller project studios (with no sub), or fairly expensive secondary reference monitors for larger studios with bigger mains. Nowadays it seems that even small studio owners don't compromise and have the best of both worlds.

Hope that helps.
Old 14th October 2010
Here for the gear

Hello, I need new speakers/monitors , and came across a multiple of choices, but am leaning on the a7x alot

about that rattling noise, any conclusions?

can you make sure if its the port or the woofer? because i am pretty confident that it is a woofer problem and not the port, sounds like the voice coil is misaligned or something, therefore under heavy unload excursion ( below the tuning frequency) , it will sound rattlely and scratchy due to a faulty woofer,

It is probably because of their new drivers that has lot of mechanical noise and you hear them alot easier when high excursion occurs usually at low frequencies below the port's tuning frequency, which would be say from 40hz to 47hz, based on the graph that someone posted here... anything below these frequencies should be cut off because it causes useless stress on the woofer, and will distort/rattle/over-excursed your woofer... now, idk what kind of setting there is in the back, but, there must be a high pass filter, if so, it must be used...

--You might think why only Adam have these problem?
---I'd say the problem might be in their electronics, it probably doesnt have any built-in xover to reduce the unwanted low-end, hence letting it run completly full-range, which is not good at all, and usually always cause these type of noise on monitors, bookshelves... maybe they need to work on that? The problem is beyond the port itself i am pretty sure about that

I am only refering to you guy's comment and dindt really experienced these monitors myself ...

I used to have these problem with my B&W 685, but only below the tuning frequency of the bookshelves... above that it was flawless, with the correct xover

n e ways, that was just a *btw* lol, no one mentionned this so mind aswell share my experience and knowledge about speakers...

im debating on a a7x and rokit6 and anything else that do not exceed the price of an a7x, any help appreciated.

thx
Old 14th October 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18inch View Post
about that rattling noise, any conclusions?
The only direct communication from Adam seems to have been over Adam's facebook page with a member here.

Quote:
can you make sure if its the port or the woofer?
There are two issues. Port noise and rattling. The older A7 (one port) has long had a reputation for port noise. Adam is reported as saying they are going to supply flanges to improve the new speaker range.

The rattling is a different issue and can be heard in the test mp3s posted further back in this thread. (I recommend you read the entire thread and listen to those mp3s)

Quote:
sounds like the voice coil is misaligned or something, ...
Unlikely, except in possible single damaged units. More likely is loose cables touching somewhere (see photos where cables are visible through the ports), loose damping material, badly fitting port tubes - something like that.

Quote:
It is probably because of their new drivers that has lot of mechanical noise and you hear them alot easier when high excursion occurs usually at low frequencies below the port's tuning frequency, which would be say from 40hz to 47hz, based on the graph that someone posted here... anything below these frequencies should be cut off
They are. The graphs clearly show a low peak and a steep dropoff. I have designed and built speakers myself, the equations are public knowledge. I have enough faith in Adam that they know how to operate a pocket calculator.

Quote:
now, idk what kind of setting there is in the back, but, there must be a high pass filter, if so, it must be used...
The manuals are freely available from the Adam website.

Quote:
---I'd say the problem might be in their electronics, it probably doesnt have any built-in xover
They are active speakers. They have active crossovers. Get the manuals.

Quote:
I used to have these problem with my B&W 685, but only below the tuning frequency of the bookshelves... above that it was flawless, with the correct xover
The B&W 685 is a passive speaker. Entirely different. Download the manuals.
Old 14th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearusertoo View Post
They are active speakers. They have active crossovers. Get the manuals.
In the case of the Adams, I believe that since it is a bi-amp design the crossover would have to be active. I'm no expert but it is my understanding that when you have separate amps for each driver the crossover, placed before the amp rather than after it, needs to be active. I mean, they COULD have placed passive HP and LP filters after the amps to achieve the same results, but this would seem like a waste of amplifier power.

It must be possible to create a passive crossover for line level signals, no? Hmmm.......

The manual for the A3X doesn't specify whether the crossover is active or passive, but an active monitor doesn't necessarily have an active crossover. I always believed that, in general, "active" refers to the existence of an integrated amplifier. The crossover is a separate entity entirely.
Old 14th October 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
In the case of the Adams, I believe that since it is a bi-amp design the crossover would have to be active. I'm no expert but it is my understanding that when you have separate amps for each driver the crossover, placed before the amp rather than after it, needs to be active. I mean, they COULD have placed passive HP and LP filters after the amps to achieve the same results, but this would seem like a waste of amplifier power.
Not only power ... damping factor will suffer too ... uncontrolled phase shift is possible too.
Old 20th October 2010
Gear Addict

Somebody has compared ADAM A7X to MACKIE HR624MKII ? (Mackie goes deeper in bass response?)

Sorry for "post under post".
Old 20th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_PL View Post
Not only power ... damping factor will suffer too ... uncontrolled phase shift is possible too.
Ah, I'll have to read up on that I guess. Thanks.

Any comments on my earlier question regarding the volume occupied by the proposed port flange solution?
Old 20th October 2010
Lives for gear

Any Reviews A7X Vs A5X?

please!
Old 21st October 2010
Lives for gear

A5x's for the most part sound like the old A7's except with less detailed imaging and a its voiced so the higher mids hit you first rather than the mids alone like the A7's... very neutral, except the imaging is not that tight...

The A7x is similar except the bass is tighter and the imaging is spectacular... its an honest studio monitor but its not brutally honest like the A7... but can push a lot more SPL than the older A7... near field awesomeness...

A8x's are the one though... we have a client thats wants to sell his P22's to buy a pair... I think its a bit silly though, the P22's are so beautiful...
Old 21st October 2010
Lives for gear

THX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
A5x's for the most part sound like the old A7's except with less detailed imaging and a its voiced so the higher mids hit you first rather than the mids alone like the A7's... very neutral, except the imaging is not that tight...

The A7x is similar except the bass is tighter and the imaging is spectacular... its an honest studio monitor but its not brutally honest like the A7... but can push a lot more SPL than the older A7... near field awesomeness...

A8x's are the one though... we have a client thats wants to sell his P22's to buy a pair... I think its a bit silly though, the P22's are so beautiful...
Old 21st October 2010
Here for the gear

this is the answer by Christian Hindemith on adam's facebook page

"A short info for all of you who have been asking about our port noise solution: We will have flanges ready for the A7X and A8X at the end of November. No foam plugs or alike - this would degrade the bass performance!"

so i think we have to wait december to put the flanges in the holes...if the flanges don't resolve the port noise it is almost sure that the rattling is caused by a mechanical fault ( how Cristian told me in other personal mail)

cya!

after many readings this is my first message in this great forum! hooah!heh
Old 22nd October 2010
Lives for gear

Welcome aboard JJ!
Old 23rd October 2010
Here for the gear

yeah, welcome!

I've also read that in Facebook.
But I can't wait til december SO I found a pair of Adam P22A here in a store.

What do you all think about the model? Is it still worth it?

Looking on adam P22A at least no port noise rattling fenomena reported

Ah, the pair costs (1500Eur)

thank you
Old 23rd October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

I would like to know A7 Vs A7x Thank you!
Old 23rd October 2010
Lives for gear

Depends on your budget? You cant make a A7 sound like a A7x or push as much SPL as a A7x... but you can do it the other way round... the A7's are a classic though... the A7's are mid forward and thats one of its most important and defining characteristics... the A7x however goes for a full range flat response... but I feel there is a biut of a high mid bump there somewhere...

I would go for A7x's just because of the 5 year warranty...

but if you find a cheap as pair of A7's, you wont regret it either...
Old 23rd October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suda badri View Post
depends on your budget? You cant make a a7 sound like a a7x or push as much spl as a a7x... But you can do it the other way round... The a7's are a classic though... The a7's are mid forward and thats one of its most important and defining characteristics... The a7x however goes for a full range flat response... But i feel there is a biut of a high mid bump there somewhere...

I would go for a7x's just because of the 5 year warranty...

But if you find a cheap as pair of a7's, you wont regret it either...

and for the bass freq? How much and what is the difference(personal opinion)?

Thank you buddy
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicSlut View Post
yeah, welcome!

I've also read that in Facebook.
But I can't wait til december SO I found a pair of Adam P22A here in a store.

What do you all think about the model? Is it still worth it?

Looking on adam P22A at least no port noise rattling fenomena reported

Ah, the pair costs (1500Eur)

thank you

The thing is, people may find that the wait is even longer than December, possibly January 2011...all for a fix that may work or not. What the people at Adam Audio may consider as a reasonable 'fix' is not the same as what a real user (like us guys) would perhaps agree with or not. The thing to remember, some users are not hearing these noises. Even after the flanges, we may still hear that slight port noise with deep bass lines, with bass on solo, etc, at loud SPL's. And then what?

FWIW I ended up purchasing a pair of A3X and it's been almost 2 weeks, and so far I love them. They are great little monitors, with a nice detailed sound, and handle the low end pretty cool, but not deep enough to make proper judgement for mixing. I must add that I did hear slight port noise (equally on both A3X speakers, but not so annoying to bother me) with a particular dance song (David Guetta produced), but at max SPL that I would probably never listen to for more than 2 minutes anyway. I lowered the volume just a tad, and the port noise vanished. Not heard much port noise with other song material ranging from all the current pop / dance tunes.

I have also gone ahead and purchased a pair of Adam A7X this weekend, and await delivery for next week. I had no problem with the ports on the demo A7X that I had tested out, with full songs. To me the port noise was always present on other Adam monitors such as the P-series and S-series. I have always noticed it, but not so much to really bother me.

Port noise on Adam monitors was always there, it depends on SPL and type of music material playback. Sine waves are not the most favourite sound choice for Adam speakers (without subs), and do indeed drive the small port holes crazy. You hear it, because they are on the front side. However if you back the volume down, it does help in my experience.

Rattles and other woofer / wiring related noises are not right, and should be replaced or repaired. But I really do feel that after the flanges have been installed, the naturally expected port noise is not going to go away, maybe dampened slightly, but still present. Time shall tell, and yet I still have 5 years to send my pair in for the flanges if ever needed.
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Depends on your budget? You cant make a A7 sound like a A7x or push as much SPL as a A7x... but you can do it the other way round... the A7's are a classic though... the A7's are mid forward and thats one of its most important and defining characteristics... the A7x however goes for a full range flat response... but I feel there is a biut of a high mid bump there somewhere...

I would go for A7x's just because of the 5 year warranty...

but if you find a cheap as pair of A7's, you wont regret it either...

Hi,

You were right about the Adam A3X thumbsup

I also agree with you on the Adam A7X for the 5 years warranty, it's a good deal.

But the Adam P11A had even more midrange focus than the Adam A7 without a doubt, and I always felt they had amazing detail compared to many monitors in the same size and price range. Shame they discontinued it now.

To my ears the bass response of the A7 was not as tight, nor as punchy as the P11A and P33A. But this must have something to do with the change of woofer design from Nomex paper to the shiny carbon fibre glass stuff they use now (plus the bigger voice coils, dual ports..). But Adam have managed to improve the low end response on all new models, and in my personal opinion (based on my limited use of A3X and demo of A7X) I found these new X-Art tweeters to be less fatiguing for my ears. The older ART tweeters were great, but sometimes my ears started to ring. The X-Art are smoother and feel more natural with acoustic instruments and vocals.
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

Got my A7x, after 2 weeks I can say they sound fantastic.
First few days, my head was fried bu highs after 2 weeks, the speakers started to play better, middles jumped out and now I'm very happy.
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanZoo View Post
Got my A7x, after 2 weeks I can say they sound fantastic.
First few days, my head was fried bu highs after 2 weeks, the speakers started to play better, middles jumped out and now I'm very happy.
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing View Post
Hi,

I also agree with you on the Adam A7X for the 5 years warranty, it's a good deal.

But the Adam P11A had even more midrange focus than the Adam A7 without a doubt, and I always felt they had amazing detail compared to many monitors in the same size and price range. Shame they discontinued it now.

To my ears the bass response of the A7 was not as tight, nor as punchy as the P11A and P33A. But this must have something to do with the change of woofer design from Nomex paper to the shiny carbon fibre glass stuff they use now (plus the bigger voice coils, dual ports..). But Adam have managed to improve the low end response on all new models, and in my personal opinion (based on my limited use of A3X and demo of A7X) I found these new X-Art tweeters to be less fatiguing for my ears. The older ART tweeters were great, but sometimes my ears started to ring. The X-Art are smoother and feel more natural with acoustic instruments and vocals.
I have to agree with the bass response being nothing to write home about on the A7's... It is rediculous that they let go of their P range... they were by far the most accurate monitors without breaking the bank in a big way! I dont think anything in the Ax range compares, except the A8x's but I would not think about using those in a mastering setting... the best thing about the S and P series is that you can track, mix and master on them with a certain confidence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy3 View Post

and for the bass freq? How much and what is the difference(personal opinion)?

Thank you buddy
I had a KRK Sub when I had the A7s... Could not mix without it...
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

I had a KRK Sub when I had the A7s... Could not mix without it...
And with a7x? What changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing View Post
Hi,

wHAt did you say on a3x?

hello buddy
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
what is SPL?

what do you mean with "brutally honest"? So you mind A7 were much honest than a7x?

thx
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
And with a7x? What changed?

wHAt did you say on a3x?

hello buddy

Hey,

SPL is simply 'sound pressure level'.

Regarding the A3X, these little speakers are great to get the Adam sound without paying too much. The only compromise is the small size, meaning less of the front to back depth (3D'ness) compared to something like the A7X for example. Also the bass is not going to be deep enough to rely on for mix judgements without larger reference speakers. For what it is, the A3X are pretty hard to beat, they push out plenty of sound, very good detail and not harsh or muddy. Good imaging too, but the bigger speakers do tend to allow for wider sweet spots in small-medium rooms.

IMO the A7 may be honest enough, but were not so brutally honest when you compare to the P11A. All Adams are honest enough within a certain range, but they do need adjusting to. The P11A and P33A on the other hand made things extra easier, they translated very well to other systems. But, with the lack of deep low end, and slightly tiring midrange focus (after a while) on the P-series, this surely called for improvements for a more relaxed sounding speaker with no specific focus in a given frequency area, but rather a well balanced speaker from top to bottom - the AX series seems like a refined improvement overall.
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

I dont think one will need a Sub to mix with the A7x's but Id go for the A8x's if bass mixing is important (and when isnt it right?)....

The A7s in my eye (ear?) are still more honest than the A7x's... but you get so much more with the A7x's... plus they are new...

I am still saving for 5x A3x's w/ Sub 8...
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

why are you saving for a5x if you said a7x are better? (mah..)
!!!!

ty anyway
Old 24th October 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
!!!!

ty anyway
I think what he is saying is he's buying 5 pieces A3X.

I have a different experience with the A5X. I tried the A5X and the A7X in my room. To increase imaging you have to alter the tweeter level by half a scale. With A5X, you will be getting the same Rohacell glass woofer like the A7X. The A3X is using standard carbon. Performance-wise it may not make a lot of difference but Rohacell glass has always been an upgrade perhaps more for reliability than anything else.
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
!!!!

ty anyway
I actually wanna do a surround set up, I am thinking about the A3x's because my room is rather small... and five A3x's plus a Sub 8 would fill out my room nicely...

Mind you if I had the money I would most certainly get A5x's or even the A7x's... haha

5x A7x's or A8x's might warranty not having a sub at all... maybe I should be looking into that...
Old 25th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I actually wanna do a surround set up, I am thinking about the A3x's because my room is rather small... and five A3x's plus a Sub 8 would fill out my room nicely...

Mind you if I had the money I would most certainly get A5x's or even the A7x's... haha

5x A7x's or A8x's might warranty not having a sub at all... maybe I should be looking into that...
ty

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search