The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 5th October 2010
  #721
Lives for gear
 
kingofswing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
Youre gonna love it... their size to performance ratio baffles me...
Cool. I really do look forward to hearing them when they get here.

I have always loved Adam speakers for the ART sound (owned P11's and P33s), then moved onto Genelec 8050A's (Still my favourite monitors), but need a small pair of good monitors for portable use, etc.

Tried out the Genelec 8020B's recently (though very nice sounding, just too pricey for the size). A3x seem to be a good choice from specs and reviews so far. I suppose the A3x / sub 7 combo could always be a future option for me, if more extended bass is required.
Old 6th October 2010
  #722
Lives for gear
 
mowmow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
I really hope they've managed to get the voicing of the A3X right. I'm really wanting to get some rears and a centre to compliment my A7s, but don't want to fork out the full cost of extra A7s. I don't need much low-end from the rears or centre, but do want the midband and top-end to be as close as possible to that of my A7s.
When I compare them (A3X, A5X, A7X, A7), A3x had more mid-forward charactor like A7. And it sounds like it has lots of lows however it goes down to only 60Hz.
As far as the lows, A5X were more close to A7 ballance wise.
Old 6th October 2010
  #723
Here for the gear
 

a8x

are the a8x monitors really that annoying when producing
bass freq stuff, i was really looking forward to using them.
they seem to tick all the boxes but this port noise issue is
really holding me back from parting with my speaker jar money.
maybe there too good to be true.
Old 6th October 2010
  #724
Gear Addict
 

ADAM A3X had bumped bass.

This is weird. ADAM audio speakers should be studio monitors (flat) not hi-fi/multimedia speakers (disco smile)
Old 6th October 2010
  #725
Lives for gear
 
kingofswing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_PL View Post
ADAM A3X had bumped bass.

This is weird. ADAM audio speakers should be studio monitors (flat) not hi-fi/multimedia speakers (disco smile)
It's funny you say that, coz when I auditioned a brand new pair of A7's a couple of years back (having owned P11s and P33s and used S3a's), I found the A7s to have a bass bump too, not so 'midrange' focused like the P11s for example. But so many users say otherwise. Strange

Could be a room issue, resting surface, etc. The only other thing I can think of would be that Adam wanted to update the bass response of the A / AX series, as lets face it, the P-series (minus the P22) lacked some of that deep bass feel factor IMHO.
Old 6th October 2010
  #726
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing View Post
Could be a room issue, resting surface, etc.
right

ADAM A3X: mistrzostwo
Badamy ADAMy A7X (recenzja) « 0dB.pl – twój poziom odniesienia

ADAM A3X and A7X HAD BUMPED BASS (look at measures in room without "issue, resting surface, etc.")
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing View Post
It's funny you say that, coz when I auditioned a brand new pair of A7's a couple of years back (having owned P11s and P33s and used S3a's), I found the A7s to have a bass bump too, not so 'midrange' focused like the P11s for example. But so many users say otherwise. Strange
On ADAM A7 theres no bump in bass (or YOU had room issue, resting surface, etc. )

iXBT:
Old 6th October 2010
  #727
Lives for gear
 
kingofswing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_PL View Post
right

ADAM A3X: mistrzostwo
Badamy ADAMy A7X (recenzja) « 0dB.pl – twój poziom odniesienia

ADAM A3X and A7X HAD BUMPED BASS (look at measures in room without "issue, resting surface, etc.")


On ADAM A7 theres no bump in bass (or YOU had room issue, resting surface, etc. )

iXBT:

Thanks for those links, but unfortunately I don't understand the language, so have zero clue what they are saying.

I still stand by what I had heard on the A7's, there was some bump on the bottom end on the pair I had in front of me, it was not a bad bump, just different to what I had been used to from my P-series days (more mid forward, different mid/woofer cone too). There is a possibility that the A7 room EQ had been set to boost the lows, which I did not check. Maybe.

I can well imagine the AX series to sound more extended in the bass end, as they have used dual ports on all models, and slightly larger voice coils on some models, so it's expected.

Have you heard the A3x speakers for yourself? Or are you going by reviews? Just curious.


Cheers
Old 7th October 2010
  #728
Lives for gear
 
Ben F's Avatar
You don't really need to understand Polish, just look at the graphs.

Otherwise Google Translate works well enough.
Old 7th October 2010
  #729
Gear Head
 

Anybody else having issues receiving reply notification emails for this thread? I'm not getting them for some reason.
Old 7th October 2010
  #730
Lives for gear
 
kingofswing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
You don't really need to understand Polish, just look at the graphs.

Otherwise Google Translate works well enough.
Old 7th October 2010
  #731
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing View Post
Have you heard the A3x speakers for yourself? Or are you going by reviews? Just curious.
Of course I don't heard A3X! BUT I have ADAM A7X, and if I have measures A3X and A7X in one room :] ADAM A7X have bumped bass {all pots at "0"} (what is hearable and We see this in measures) ... and ADAM A3X have even more bumped bass (!!!) what we can see in measures, and it's not correctable (ADAM A7X is possible to correct by rear regulators ... A3X don't have them).
Old 7th October 2010
  #732
Here for the gear
 

Placed my order, but Thomann says the A5X will arrive in November. Long wait! :(
Old 9th October 2010
  #733
Here for the gear
 

I finally bought my A7Xs and am happy to report that there is no port noise. May be there will be if I play those samples posted here, which I will never do.

I've never been happier. I wish I didn't spend so much time reading here and worrying about that port noise problem. Seriously, why playing sine waves and worrying about samples which rattle even on more expensive speakers like the focals?

These speakesr are amazing!!! I wanted to buy the old A7s, but when I heard these... I didn't believe the sound coming out of these boxes. It was just what I've always been wanting. I also don't know how they meassure those graphs, but in my room, also in the music store when I first heard them, they sound perfectly flat. Of course, I must say, it really depends on what music you listen to. All of the tracks sound very different even on the same album, which is good, because it means they show you exactly how things are. What I found is that records of Nils Landgren sound perfectly flat! i am now very disappointed in some old and favourite records of mine. But againg that's a good thing.

I wish you luck and if you had some problems with earlier A7Xs you should still get them and try them again. Otherwise you've been missing out. I wish I could afford A8X, but I guess I can live with the A7Xs for a while

Thank you ADAM!

I just don't understand why in the specification it says that they are with a 7" woofer when they are with 6.5"? Even it is written at the boxes of the speakers.
Old 10th October 2010
  #734
Lives for gear
 
kingofswing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanibaytchev View Post
I finally bought my A7Xs and am happy to report that there is no port noise. May be there will be if I play those samples posted here, which I will never do.

I've never been happier. I wish I didn't spend so much time reading here and worrying about that port noise problem. Seriously, why playing sine waves and worrying about samples which rattle even on more expensive speakers like the focals?

These speakesr are amazing!!! I wanted to buy the old A7s, but when I heard these... I didn't believe the sound coming out of these boxes. It was just what I've always been wanting. I also don't know how they meassure those graphs, but in my room, also in the music store when I first heard them, they sound perfectly flat. Of course, I must say, it really depends on what music you listen to. All of the tracks sound very different even on the same album, which is good, because it means they show you exactly how things are. What I found is that records of Nils Landgren sound perfectly flat! i am now very disappointed in some old and favourite records of mine. But againg that's a good thing.

I wish you luck and if you had some problems with earlier A7Xs you should still get them and try them again. Otherwise you've been missing out. I wish I could afford A8X, but I guess I can live with the A7Xs for a while

Thank you ADAM!

I just don't understand why in the specification it says that they are with a 7" woofer when they are with 6.5"? Even it is written at the boxes of the speakers.

Cool little review thumbsup

I cancelled my order of the A3x, since I may need some more lows for my music. Also I would prefer some room EQ control, and the A3x does not have this feature. But i'm sure these little speakers are probably great for the size and price.

I am going on monday to listen to a pair of A7x, so I will get a better idea of how they sound, etc.
Old 10th October 2010
  #735
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing View Post
I am going on monday to listen to a pair of A7x, so I will get a better idea of how they sound, etc.
Compare ADAM to some other monitor (hi quality, other brand ... like Focal CMS65/Solo 6 be/Twin or APS IO) in A/B test.
tsanibaytchev writes cartoon stories with this "perfectly flat" ... especially when regulators was at "0" in A7X.

-> tsanibaytchev
Im affraid perfectly flat monitors doesnt exist.
Old 10th October 2010
  #736
Lives for gear
 
kingofswing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_PL View Post
Compare ADAM to some other monitor (hi quality, other brand ... like Focal CMS65/Solo 6 be/Twin or APS IO) in A/B test.
tsanibaytchev writes cartoon stories with this "perfectly flat" ... especially when regulators was at "0" in A7X.

-> tsanibaytchev
Im affraid perfectly flat monitors doesnt exist.

No need for me to compare really. I have been using ADAM speakers on and off for 5 years now, I know the sound very well and roughly know what to expect from the AX series. I'm only going to hear them out for the sake of all is port noise issue that seems to be the talk. Hopefully, they would make a good second reference to my Genelec 8050A's.

FWIW I heard the two smaller Focal CM-series speakers (40 & 50), and didn't like them much, sounded scooped to my ears. I'm not so hot on the budget Focal range. But then again I love my mids to be slightly forward. Adam speakers are great at midrange definition, as we all know.

note: I noticed my ADAM P11's and P33a's both had some port noise when playing back at high SPL's, especially with bass heavy music. Even my demo pair of S3a's did the same thing.
Old 10th October 2010
  #737
Lives for gear
 
mowmow's Avatar
Does anyone know where I can find frequency graph for A5X?
Old 10th October 2010
  #738
Lives for gear
 
depulse's Avatar
The months are passing, where are the new updated models with the port noise problem solved?


ADAM -> can you provide us with a time estimate?


I want to buy the Ax7 but I'm not buying them until Adam acknowledges that the problem is solved and describes how one can identify the new models.
Old 10th October 2010
  #739
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
The months are passing, where are the new updated models with the port noise problem solved?


ADAM -> can you provide us with a time estimate?


I want to buy the Ax7 but I'm not buying them until Adam acknowledges that the problem is solved and describes how one can identify the new models.
This was exactly me until a week ago. There is too much noise here, not the speakers. Go listen to them and you will see for yourself what I saw for myslef. There is no need to worry so much. Good Luck!
Old 10th October 2010
  #740
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing View Post
FWIW I heard the two smaller Focal CM-series speakers (40 & 50), and didn't like them much, sounded scooped to my ears.
What means "scooped"?
Old 10th October 2010
  #741
Lives for gear
 
Big_Bang's Avatar
 

thumbsup

Yes!! there IS too much noise here!

These speakers are AMAZING. It is ''only when doing microscopic work in the low end'' - like going through kick drum library (who would be crazy enough to to that?), or solo EQ'ing a kit - does the port noise show up - dont worry about it, just be aware of it!

Or like me, who actually work ALOT with sinewaves (hence my ranting) and are a complete flop for me only because of that - even still, I would not tolerate that noise at the grade these speakers are in (I had A7x). For this price I demand uncompromised audio quality. I prefer a bit less low end to the farts it can produce at times

Otherwise, fire the mix up and they are astounding!
Old 10th October 2010
  #742
Lives for gear
 
depulse's Avatar
If Adam hadn't acknowledged there is a problem I would have been less worried. Now they stated that they know about the problems and that they will provide a solution. I.e. it isn't just something someone imagined, but before Adam officially describes their solution, I am not buying them.
Old 10th October 2010
  #743
Lives for gear
 
Big_Bang's Avatar
 

Precisely!

thumbsup

This thread is going around in loops now...
Old 11th October 2010
  #744
Lives for gear
 
loopy's Avatar
 

All this stuff with Adam and Focal as well, quality control scares me.
When was the last time you saw a thread about JBL, Dynaudio, Genelec quality control problems.

I dunno....
Old 11th October 2010
  #745
Here for the gear
 

@Big Bang: I wouldn't call the Dave Holland band recording you posted on page 12 "microscopic". That was a real-world example.

And since I do rock/pop/blues, I am worried about what I will hear when mine arrive.

To go out and listen to them from where I live would mean a train journey to Germany costing me about 1/2 of the cost of one speaker!

So I am very much relying on what users are posting here.
Old 11th October 2010
  #746
Lives for gear
 
kingofswing's Avatar
Well I just got back from my demo of the A7X & A3X. All settings flat on the back, and front volume knobs set at 0db.

First impressions:

Based on my experience with P-series and the S3a, I was really pleased with what was coming out the small A3X speakers. They delivered plenty of midrange detail, more so on the lower mids (with tight punch to kicks) and the top end was smooth, but not quite as open as the A7X. I turned up the A3X tweeter level slightly, and they sounded little bit more open, but still not as sweet as the A7x.

A3X surprisingly managed to deliver good bass performance and you can really hear the bass notes in the upper range respective to their small size. The little mid/woofer cones are great, no flapping, they handle the lows very well without sounding muddy. These speakers seem to be very good for real close up near-field monitoring, and have good front to back definition. IMO vocals sounded strong and detailed, and I could really hear into the mix in the same sort of way I could do with a pair of Adam P11s. No port noise heard with loud spl's. I'm sure if I digged for it, I would have detected some noise...but hey..

The A7x were slighty different for me in the mids, they sound more transparent, less forward and the high-mids were clearer and sweeter. The low end was more deep (as expected), and when the amps were driven harder, the bass just really jumped out. Though at very lower volume, both the A3X and A7X had very similar character in the low end, and the A3X held very well with detail. Again, I could not hear any obvious port noise, I tried too (bearing in mind I was playing complete songs with the full spectrum covered).

So overall, I felt I got more of a cleaner transparent sound from the A7X, deeper bass and more extended top end, but with less of the forward midrange presented by the A3X. The A3X just amazed me for the size, very good midrange and good handling of bass.

I must say though, I did notice that the X-Art tweeter construction seems more paper like compared to the older Art tweeter?
Old 11th October 2010
  #747
Gear Nut
I posted earlier in this thread about owning a pair of a8x's,but sending them back due to the amps being overly loud ,not in a hissy kind of way but plain tonal noise . Like they where so loaded they would blow up on me any second! I had no problem with port noise at the time , probably as the amps where deafening in the first place.. Anyone else had this??
I'm asking as I've been trying to get a pair of p22a's ,but they're impossible to get new anymore...... My only other option is to go back to another pair of a8x's,but I want to be assured this problem has been taken care of ... No need to guide me to another brand,as I'm not a Focal fan etc . I want Adam's as my mixes translate amazing whenever they're used.

Regards
T
Old 12th October 2010
  #748
Lives for gear
 
kingofswing's Avatar
Thought this would be interesting for the so called 'Port noise' (aka port chuffing) on Adam monitors. Seems like A7 users complained of the same thing..


? for Adam A7 users: port noise

Adam A7 rattling/buzzing


IMHO this really is a design issue with front ported speakers...period. This is nothing new, it's a limitation with ported speakers. The chuffing / whirring effect is to be expected when gobs of air is being pushed through narrow port endings, whilst at a very fast rate. Genelec uses a larger 'flared' port design on the rear of the 8000 series speakers, hence why I never hear the issue with my 8050A. But the Adams seem to move air much faster, and through smaller front ports...hence the audible port noise at low frequencies at fairly high SPL's.

FWIW I heard this same port 'air' noise with my Adam P11A, P33A and borrowed S3A's. It was very minor (only when working with deep sine bass or big kick drums) and still had no affect on my workflow. I also found no obvious signs of port noise in my demo of AX series earlier today.

Regarding the 'rattling', from what I have been reading so far and from my own experience with some speakers (not just Adams) causing a rattling sound, 9 times out of 10 the problem lies in a faulty woofer driver...problem solved.
Old 12th October 2010
  #749
Lives for gear
 
Ben F's Avatar
This thread has turned a corner...lots of positive reviews.
Old 12th October 2010
  #750
Lives for gear
 
Big_Bang's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing View Post
Well I just got back from my demo of the A7X & A3X. All settings flat on the back, and front volume knobs set at 0db.

First impressions:
thumbsup

Thank you! I really like reading your posts. I have used, unfortunately never owned, P11A's and S3a - which is why, like TeeBee, I simply cannot live without the Adam ''brushing''. - i am sure I would great great results with Focals if I bought and got used to them, I dont like Gens at all, I broke in and used a pair of BM15a which impressed me, but... I love Adam to death - the translation can be magical.

Finally, this is the first review that inspires me confidence, as I've never noticed any issue of port chuffing/noise - but then again, I was on the jobs, rarely alone, not at home with time to spare with my own sets. Obviously on the X line they have to compromise somewhere, yet I am still amazed by the price.

And the A3X, which I never ever really considered because I simply did not believe the first couple of reviews here... wow! got to check them out now!

Must be super great to have for tracking and to ''ns-10'' on distorted guitars and carving up the gaps in the low-mid for that real punch. I just got all excited again heh (those flanges are taking their time, hope its Adam taking double time to really clean up the mess!)

kingofswing (love the avatar pun ) - let me throw you a question, what would be your feeling towards the A3x+sub versus a full range speaker? What would choose as a crossover point for them? (obviously, ''off the record'' - just as here-say reference)

'cos now I am seriously thinking of this setup for the main control room and finally setting up a second mixing room to free the main for more tracking. thanks!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Madkour / So much gear, so little time
397
Icarus / High end
4
akaie / So much gear, so little time
0
cush / So much gear, so little time
1
oceantracks / High end
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump