The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Maniac

I've switched from farting and buzzing A7's to KRK VXT6 and haven't look back.
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

KRK's upper range models are awesome but I have always had issues getting any KRK's to translate... goes to show why there are so many monitoring options and manufacturer's... we are all so different in what we notice in our monitoring chain and also in what we expect to hear in our other reference speakers.

I expect the mids wont be so pronounced in other speakers when compared to A7's so my mids might seem forward when I am mixing but it does not bother me cuz I know its going to be safe otherwise, going to a newer set is just scary cuz until you hear the mix elsewhere you have no idea how much of the music vs how much of the speaker one is actually hearing and I have not given enough speakers a good go yet... All I know is monitoring takes a mammoth effort to get right... and even then its hard to not question yourself...
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
Hi Astrikos, yes, i got them from thomann. Beside the port noise thing, it's hard to say, if they are worth the extra 100€ because i couldn't compare them side by side. My impression is that the A8X sounded a bit more clinical, the CMS65 sound more musical, if that makes sense. Stereo imaging is great on both. A8X had a bit more lowend (of course, they're larger)

I enjoy music more on the focals, but i will see if that turns out to be a good thing mixing wise ...
Thanks evosilica
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post
who cares for the ****ing tweater? I am constantly producing muddy mixes
with A7s. Lack of low mids. Superior tweeter doesn't mean better translation to real world speakers!
Next time I go with traditional soft dome, the most widely spread tweeter in consumer systems.
A7s has bumped height's. You don't have to change speakers ... just change settings.

iXBT:
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_PL View Post
A7s has bumped height's. You don't have to change speakers ... just change settings.

iXBT:
i already adjusted hights. It helps but still ...

- the 2.5-3 khz range seems a bit too soft.
- the bass is punchy (100 Hz) but the lower mids at 200-500 Hz seem a bit underrepresented.
Old 20th September 2010
Here for the gear

I really cant understand why Adam is getting all this PortNoise question lately, and why they say this is 'normal' in a bass reflex speaker.

What about the Adam P22A...or the S2.5A ones?
I've never heard someone saying they were farting or port noising
Old 20th September 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicSlut View Post
I really cant understand why Adam is getting all this PortNoise question lately, and why they say this is 'normal' in a bass reflex speaker.

What about the Adam P22A...or the S2.5A ones?
I've never heard someone saying they were farting or port noising
Yeah, also I have the cheap Alesis M One MKII with two wholes each, and I've never had that problem either. First time I hear of such problem at all, and it is here.

And this waiting is really killing my patience. I'm passing by Thomann in two weeks, and I have never been more confused then now. First I wanted to get the old A7, then the new ones came, so I was into them, but now I am on hold, waiting to see what will happen with these noise problem, because apparently it is unbearable, since people are returning the speakers and get new ones from even different brand. The problem is I can't afford the CSM65, and CSM50 would be too small for me. So I really hope there are some news from ADAM Audio, before the end of next week.
Old 20th September 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post
i already adjusted hights. It helps but still ...

- the 2.5-3 khz range seems a bit too soft.
- the bass is punchy (100 Hz) but the lower mids at 200-500 Hz seem a bit underrepresented.
Hi, HomeProducer,

I just wonder if you have anything else in mind for mixing, since you are not happy with your speakers. Have you though of any other brand and model, and if so, which brand does it take your attention? It is important for me since you are not happy with Adam sound.

For me, I heard and compared A/B/C/D Dynaudio BM5A, Adam A7, Genelec 8040 and Dynaudio BM6A MKII. I was amazed how different they all sounded, claiming at the same time that they all are very "honest" and translate well to other systems. I though, from all of them, BM5A were the flattest and most linear sounding speaker.But the music sounded like ill, or sterile to me. I'm not sure if what I say makes sense, but that's what I felt, and I said to myself, I can't stand the sound and it would be unpleasant for me to work on those, even though if I had to listen to my mind, not my heart, probably that would have to be the choise.
Then Adam A7 made the impression that they sound not only vertical, but horisontal as well. I mean I could clearly distinguish the separate voices in the choir, and that is so important. It gives you an impression as you are listening to a 3D sound. Then I heard the Bm6A MKII, wow, beautifull sound, but way too much bass. It would be difficult for me to judge, how much bass to leave in the mix. The Genelecs were the worst in my opinion. Their sound was so exaggerated in the middle, that the sound was anything but honest, also the highs were extremelly harsh. I couldn't stand them for 5 minutes. I usually work 8 hours a day, so that is equal to suicide. Also they NEED their sub, similarly to A7.

So I will be very interested if you have spotted some other monitors in this price range that would be more suitable for you. I have to buy decend speakers very soon and I am open for any recommendations.
Old 20th September 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanibaytchev View Post
Yeah, also I have the cheap Alesis M One MKII with two wholes each, and I've never had that problem either. First time I hear of such problem at all, and it is here.

And this waiting is really killing my patience. I'm passing by Thomann in two weeks, and I have never been more confused then now. First I wanted to get the old A7, then the new ones came, so I was into them, but now I am on hold, waiting to see what will happen with these noise problem, because apparently it is unbearable, since people are returning the speakers and get new ones from even different brand. The problem is I can't afford the CSM65, and CSM50 would be too small for me. So I really hope there are some news from ADAM Audio, before the end of next week.
Yeah, the same position here! I was looking on the P22a and then the new X series appeared. And this noise problem aswell.
Fuc*ing confused! Looking now better on other brands. Not that much money to spend but I think I will make a worth option, the other hand.

Personally, dont like the focals (65). Small woofer to the kind of music I manage.
To my rock/jazz projects it would be enought...but as I am also a electronic music junkie they don't work to me tutt
good luck then!
Old 20th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Personally, dont like the focals (65). Small woofer to the kind of music I manage.
To my rock/jazz projects it would be enought...but as I am also a electronic music junkie they don't work to me tutt
good luck then!
Try the Tannoy Precision 8D's. They are very nice, and the dual concentric design offers a wonderful mid range.
Old 20th September 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Yes they are making foam plugs for the ports.
No, they're making flanges :-) Not foam plugs - that would not really be a 'solution'. This is what Christian from ADAM posted on their Facebook page on Saturday:

Hi Martin,

The solution will not be something like foam plugs. We are still testing flanges and this looks all good. Please give us a little more time. We need to make absolutely sure that the solution will deserve this term and satisfy all users who have problems with the air port noise.
I will report back to you as soon as I have solid data.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Christian
Old 20th September 2010
Here for the gear

We seem to have two solutions mentioned.. foam plugs and flanges. I hope that it will be flanges for all models and not flanges for some and foam for the rest.
Old 20th September 2010
Gear Nut

re:

Hi I'm new to ADAM A7X, These monitors are excellent ,I am EX-user of GENELEC 8040 ( I much prefer the sound of ADAM ) . I have only one problem to me too I get noise through the port .. You know if you have any remedy that problem the port? . greetings
Old 21st September 2010
Lives for gear

Now that I have A5X for about couple of month, I'm testing with the EQ in the back of the monitors. I thought that A5X have little too much lows which makes it sound like mid range is hiding. I set low EQ to -0.5 and immediately vocal start to come foward. I start hearing more mid-range which makes it like NS10 with more detail and smoother high end.
When I set EQ to flat, it sounds like hi-fi speaker with comfortable rich low end, more enjoyerble to listen to.
I can go either way, studio monitor style or nice & smooth hi-fi speaker.
I love my A5X.
Old 21st September 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaforce View Post
Hi I'm new to ADAM A7X, These monitors are excellent ,I am EX-user of GENELEC 8040 ( I much prefer the sound of ADAM ) . I have only one problem to me too I get noise through the port .. You know if you have any remedy that problem the port? . greetings
Which of them have got lower bass ?
Old 21st September 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmow View Post
I set low EQ to -0.5
He? Que? :P ... 0.5 of what?

The range is from -6dB to +6dB . 1 step/click is 0,6dB (0.6dB) - there is 10 clicks for "+" and 10 clicks for "-". (tested on ADAM A7X)
Old 21st September 2010
Lives for gear

New AX Series from ADAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_PL
He? Que? :P ... 0.5 of what?

The range is from -6dB to +6dB . 1 step/click is 0,6dB (0.6dB) - there is 10 clicks for "+" and 10 clicks for "-". (tested on ADAM A7X)
Really? I thought it was half db increment. I might be wrong. I meant one click down on low frequency.
Old 21st September 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmow View Post
Really? I thought it was half db increment. I might be wrong. I meant one click down on low frequency.
0.5 dB or 0.6 dB - same s...t (but there is 0.6 dB )

ps. i have got on ADAM A7X -1,2 dB shelf filter on bass (2 clicks), and from -1,2 to -1,8dB (right now 1,8) shelf filter on treble
Old 21st September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, the same position here! I was looking on the P22a and then the new X series appeared. And this noise problem aswell.
Fuc*ing confused! Looking now better on other brands. Not that much money to spend but I think I will make a worth option, the other hand.

good luck then!
I can recommend the p22a.I use them for around 3 years and they have been great all around.Most stores should still have a pair in stock and the price has gone down a bit.No portnoise even at ridicoulus levels and sub freq.
Old 22nd September 2010
Here for the gear

New AX Series from ADAM

How bad is this port noise, really, because I have to buy a pair next week? Do you hear it all the time when listening to cd tracks or only when playing bass and kicks? Also can you avoid it by turning the lows down by 1 db or so?
Another question. Do you know where to find the frequency response chart for Adam A7X?
Old 22nd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
How bad is this port noise, really, because I have to buy a pair next week? Do you hear it all the time when listening to cd tracks or only when playing bass and kicks? Also can you avoid it by turning the lows down by 1 db or so?
Another question. Do you know where to find the frequency response chart for Adam A7X?
I cannot imagine you would hear any nosie at 95db or less with any type of music.
Old 22nd September 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
I cannot imagine you would hear any nosie at 95db or less with any type of music.
Do you mean -95db? ))
Old 22nd September 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaforce View Post
Hi deltaforce,
do you get that noise when listening to cd tracks? Or can you get rid of it by turning down the volume of the low shelf?
Old 23rd September 2010
Gear Nut

New AX Series from ADAM

So are people in general satisfied with their Ax monitors?
I ordered the A3X set myself this week.
Old 23rd September 2010
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
So are people in general satisfied with their Ax monitors?
I ordered the A3X set myself this week.
He Snarf . As a fellow norwegian I feel obligated to tell you that I've had a nightmare with my a8x's .Both the amps and with port rattling . The amps where humming like I've never heard in a speaker before . One way worse than the other which is a concern in itself . The port noise was significant at even low-medium volume .

As far as how they sounded - Amazing .. A little forward in the mid region,but super transparent and really really tight in the low end as well . I've never heard reverb tail so clear in my entire life ,and the top end is magic!

Unfortunately the build quality was less than poor,so I sent them back .
Regards and good luck!
T
Old 23rd September 2010
Here for the gear

I see that Thomann's website has quite a few Adam models set to grey (unavailable). The A5X, that I was interested in getting, is grey.

Possibly they got recalled for checking and upgrade?
Old 23rd September 2010
Here for the gear

New AX Series from ADAM

But all other are green, and I think the A5x does not have that big problem with the noise as with A7X or A8X
Old 24th September 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
But all other are green, and I think the A5x does not have that big problem with the noise as with A7X or A8X
... I don't have got any port noise on ADAM A7X
Old 25th September 2010
Here for the gear

Adam ax series not magnetically shielded

Does any one have the ax series speakers yet and do you have problems with your cell phone or any other divce disrupting the sound or making poping nosie with the speaker? Do you think this will be a problem with the line?
Old 25th September 2010
Here for the gear

New AX Series from ADAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_PL
... I don't have got any port noise on ADAM A7X
That's great! I hope mine won't have problems too, because I already ordered them. Hey, Kyle, where did you get yours from? Thomann?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search