The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Im not trying to pick a fight but that is clearly your problem and I sincerely hope getting a soft dome design will help your cause, you only have to look at all the people raving about both these sets of speakers, I am certain that most of their mixes have started to sound better since getting these speakers... I just feel ribbons allow one to peer into the mix without squinting my ears if that makes any sense... maybe not quite as much as a pair of ATC's (which are traditional designs) but you pay the dosh...

BTW My mixes are muddy and a little bit **** (for how long I have been doing this) but they sound a hell of a lot better than they used to...

Best of luck with your searchthumbsup
Old 14th September 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post
Next time I go with traditional soft dome, the most widely spread tweeter in consumer systems.
So what speakers would you recomend for the price of A7?
Old 14th September 2010
Gear Nut
This is my first post on Gearslutz! Sadly it's a negative one.. Got my Adam a8x's today . Before I even got to test out of there was any port noise , the "humming" coming from inside the speaker was absolutely horrible! I could even hear it from the room next door ! One was worse then the other and that is a concern in it's own . These speakers are going straight back ...

Anyone else have this problem ?? I'm used to my Yamaha HS80's and they're whisper quiet .

Regards
T
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeBee View Post
This is my first post on Gearslutz! Sadly it's a negative one.. Got my Adam a8x's today . Before I even got to test out of there was any port noise , the "humming" coming from inside the speaker was absolutely horrible! I could even hear it from the room next door ! One was worse then the other and that is a concern in it's own . These speakers are going straight back ...

Anyone else have this problem ?? I'm used to my Yamaha HS80's and they're whisper quiet .

Regards
T
That is very disapointing. I am not sure where they are being made and what quality control they have with the AX series. I would suggest looking into the Focal CMS 65's which are priced pretty close to the Adam A8X's.
Old 15th September 2010
Here for the gear

Finally a review of the A8x

Finally a review of the A8x. I've been waiting for this so long...

ADAM A8X Review: The Return of the Ribbon - Audiofanzine
Old 15th September 2010
Here for the gear

Getting my A7Xs next week! Can't w8 to sart mixing on these monitors!
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeBee View Post
Got my Adam a8x's today . Before I even got to test out of there was any port noise , the "humming" coming from inside the speaker was absolutely horrible!
I had a similar problem with my first two pairs of Focal CMS65's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
I am not sure where they are being made and what quality control they have with the AX series. I would suggest looking into the Focal CMS 65's which are priced pretty close to the Adam A8X's.
They are being made in Germany.
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma View Post
Finally a review of the A8x. I've been waiting for this so long...

ADAM A8X Review: The Return of the Ribbon - Audiofanzine
I read in this review that the Adam A8x's are more suited to midfield monitoring than nearfield???

Is this correct??
Old 15th September 2010
Gear Addict

any news from adam corresponding the lows "problem" ???

i'm fuccing interested in the a8x but i need them 808's to be clear as a crystal when they hit... even when they played back solo in high levels...

would crash em out the window if they started to sound like farts heh
Old 15th September 2010
Gear Head

Has anybody here actually received a pair of A5Xs? The lack of reviews and product availability lead me to believe that they haven't shipped yet. Can anybody confirm if they have seen this model in the wild?
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboso View Post
any news from adam corresponding the lows "problem" ???

i'm fuccing interested in the a8x but i need them 808's to be clear as a crystal when they hit... even when they played back solo in high levels...

would crash em out the window if they started to sound like farts heh
Yes, I spoke to someone from Adam this week and he said they are releasing foam plugs for the ports in a month or so which will be free.
Old 16th September 2010
Here for the gear

Foam plugs? What happened to the flanges?

Well I guess you could stuff the foam plugs to your ears and you'd hear no more port noise heh
Old 16th September 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Yes, I spoke to someone from Adam this week and he said they are releasing foam plugs for the ports in a month or so which will be free.
foam plugs?? at the expense of sub frequencies or what
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObLogic7 View Post
Has anybody here actually received a pair of A5Xs? The lack of reviews and product availability lead me to believe that they haven't shipped yet. Can anybody confirm if they have seen this model in the wild?
We have sold 3 pairs... they are kick ass but Im still dreaming abotu getting 5 3x's...
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboso View Post
foam plugs?? at the expense of sub frequencies or what
Foam Plugs?? I hope this was a misunderstanding I tried them with selfmade foam plugs. They sounded clear then, but you lose a LOT of low end.

btw. Since the S1X also farted, i'm on CMS65 now. They also produce port noise, but only at VERY high volumes, so it's absolutely no problem under normal loud situations. Really like their sound. Hopefully they translate well to other systems.
But they also have quality issues. One speaker arrived with a loose woofer.

I'm very fascinated about the KRK RP6 port design, you can blast the $h1t out of them, still almost no port noise. Unfortunately i can't achieve well translating mixes on them.
Old 17th September 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
Foam Plugs?? I hope this was a misunderstanding I tried them with selfmade foam plugs. They sounded clear then, but you lose a LOT of low end.

btw. Since the S1X also farted, i'm on CMS65 now. They also produce port noise, but only at VERY high volumes, so it's absolutely no problem under normal loud situations. Really like their sound. Hopefully they translate well to other systems.
But they also have quality issues. One speaker arrived with a loose woofer.

I'm very fascinated about the KRK RP6 port design, you can blast the $h1t out of them, still almost no port noise. Unfortunately i can't achieve well translating mixes on them.
Hi evosilica
Did you got your CMS65 from Thomann?Also do you thing they worth the extra money compare to A7x or A8x?
Old 17th September 2010
Gear Maniac
Quote:
i bought some a few weeks ago.
Old 17th September 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
We have sold 3 pairs... they are kick ass but Im still dreaming abotu getting 5 3x's...
You have sold them in New Zealand... I'm looking for a pair in the US. The Adam Audio US office told a vendor that I'm dealing with that they haven't seen any shipments of A5Xs to the US and don't have an ETA for when they would arrive. They also used the term vaporware to describe the situation.
Old 17th September 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by grame99 View Post
i bought some a few weeks ago.
Are you in the US? If so, where did you purchase them?
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrikos View Post
Hi evosilica
Did you got your CMS65 from Thomann?Also do you thing they worth the extra money compare to A7x or A8x?
Hi Astrikos, yes, i got them from thomann. Beside the port noise thing, it's hard to say, if they are worth the extra 100€ because i couldn't compare them side by side. My impression is that the A8X sounded a bit more clinical, the CMS65 sound more musical, if that makes sense. Stereo imaging is great on both. A8X had a bit more lowend (of course, they're larger)

I enjoy music more on the focals, but i will see if that turns out to be a good thing mixing wise ...
Old 18th September 2010
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Are you in the US? If so, where did you purchase them?
i'm in london - i got them from west end dj in soho.
Old 18th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
You have sold them in New Zealand... I'm looking for a pair in the US. The Adam Audio US office told a vendor that I'm dealing with that they haven't seen any shipments of A5Xs to the US and don't have an ETA for when they would arrive. They also used the term vaporware to describe the situation.
That is weird...
Old 18th September 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
The Adam Audio US office told a vendor that I'm dealing with that they haven't seen any shipments of A5Xs to the US and don't have an ETA for when they would arrive. They also used the term vaporware to describe the situation.
I had mine for couple of months now. Bought them from American Musical.

No port noise here.
Old 18th September 2010
Here for the gear

Hi all,
(first post in this forum )

So, I would like to say that I am an Adam sympathizer, I've allways enjoyed the Brand and it's accuracy and products.

BUT, by the way, after reading all this thread, I lost a bit of my credit on it.
Sincerely, I've put all my aim on the Adam A8x, wait them for long time, save money for them, etc and Now I am like a 'fool in the middle of the bridge' who don't know what to do!

I think I don't even will spend about 1300 on a pair knowing in advance that they can give problems, or NOT (since they are users not experiencing anything). But when you buy new monitors or new gear, you dont expect it to be like a Russian Roulette tutt

That's it, if you know a good alternative to this just let me know. Ok, I don't like Focals. And yeah, please consider that I need tight bass response. (bass-heavy music also here). I am looking on Krk's but never listened to VXT series. What to you think? Dynaudios? The models with big woofers and good bass response are so expensive rr

Thank you fellows
Old 18th September 2010
Gear Nut

if you are familar with the adam sound and like it then forgett all the other speakersheh
Old 18th September 2010
Here for the gear

Adam is coming out with a solution to fix the port noise problem for free - just so you know in case you are not aware of.
Old 18th September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicSlut View Post
Hi all,
(first post in this forum )

So, I would like to say that I am an Adam sympathizer, I've allways enjoyed the Brand and it's accuracy and products.

BUT, by the way, after reading all this thread, I lost a bit of my credit on it.
Sincerely, I've put all my aim on the Adam A8x, wait them for long time, save money for them, etc and Now I am like a 'fool in the middle of the bridge' who don't know what to do!

I think I don't even will spend about 1300 on a pair knowing in advance that they can give problems, or NOT (since they are users not experiencing anything). But when you buy new monitors or new gear, you dont expect it to be like a Russian Roulette tutt

That's it, if you know a good alternative to this just let me know. Ok, I don't like Focals. And yeah, please consider that I need tight bass response. (bass-heavy music also here). I am looking on Krk's but never listened to VXT series. What to you think? Dynaudios? The models with big woofers and good bass response are so expensive rr

Thank you fellows
Well I mix on KRK VXT 8's and I am getting the best translation I have ever had (from my mono 1960's stereo at home, to the car, to laptop speakers).

They are not as sexy as some brands and seem to be dismissed as so many "bedroom" guys have the cheaper KRK's (not VXT) that a lot of pros want to distance themselves from the budget brand.

BUT they really do perform and let your hear everything you need for mixing. I had to go through all the usual placement, listening, settings, etc learning curve that comes with any major change in monitoring, but now I am able to concentrate on the mixes and not worry about if my speakers are lying to me. I also use them in conjunction with some Avantones, but I really get over 90% of the info I need from the KRK's. (I just use the Avantones to check balances and make sure that the bass is working on a small speaker)

Oh ya - the bass is extended and tight/detailed - never had any port noise and you can blast them if you want to rock out (which I never do.....of course....)

Try em out - them give a lot of bang for the buck - great for bass heavy/punchy stuff.
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopQuark View Post
Adam is coming out with a solution to fix the port noise problem for free - just so you know in case you are not aware of.
Yes they are making foam plugs for the ports.
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanibaytchev View Post
So what speakers would you recomend for the price of A7?
sorry, i didn't follow the discussion

The cheapest good alternative is the HS80m, if you feel familiar with
NS10 sound, they really have something of it.

To avoid muddy mixes, Focal Solos should be a good candidate.
(or Quested).

I also heard the BM5A and they sounded more balanced to me, at least in the shop.
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
BTW My mixes are muddy and a little bit **** (for how long I have been doing this) but they sound a hell of a lot better than they used to...

Best of luck with your searchthumbsup
me too.

but the musically best results I get with old KRK V8s (mk2)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search