The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 5th September 2010
Here for the gear

Yep, me too ... just hoping they get 'em fixed by the time my bank balance hits the magic level...
Old 6th September 2010
Gear Addict

Port Noise

I found the problem . . .
Attached Thumbnails
New AX Series from ADAM-port_problem.jpg  
Old 6th September 2010
Here for the gear

...the mouse that Farted !

A little cheese outta fix that right up. I don't know what's taking Adam so long!
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by notveryloud View Post
i found the problem . . .
cccuuutttteeee!!!!
Old 6th September 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryLoud View Post
I found the problem . . .
But that's just the A7 no one has provided photos what's inside A7X.
Old 6th September 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoll View Post
But that's just the A7 no one has provided photos what's inside A7X.
I'm thinking maybe this . . .
Attached Thumbnails
New AX Series from ADAM-port_problem.jpg  
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

Miles Mouse?
Old 6th September 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
Miles Mouse?
Mouse Mangione
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

Ahhh...
Old 6th September 2010
"Mouse in bass port gets launched to next county"

So I am so dumb...I never took a pic of the wires that were flappin, or even a short video...Sorry guys. Right when I knew I was gonna return them I packed them up faster than they showed up cuz I was scared they were gonna fall over and get damaged or something strange b4 I got them boxed up 4 return :( But if you do have the problem I recommend a LED flashlight in the porthole. For those of you waiting, wait cuz I just bought mine 3 weeks ago from Zzounds, they had 4 A8X's left which were old I figured, old meaning the first run with problems.....they still have 2 left and I hope knowone from this site gets stuck with them....... I dont know what to do now, I thought Adams were gonna rival focal solos. Now I find myself getting caught up in a speaker war and not making music..if I would have bought some hs80's 3 months ago I would made multiple mixes by now instead of trying to get the next best thing.......
Old 6th September 2010
Here for the gear

Hey everyone!
This is a good thread - helped me a lot with my intensive search of A8x reviews. Today went to a nearby store to see them - these guys don`t carry any Adams I need - only 3`s,5`s and 7`s in stock, so I was`n able to try them out. But I`ve seen tons of such emotional superpositive responses on them, so of course I want to give them a try.
After reading about `rattling` and port noise problem have an idea to get 7-th instead + sub8? That combination would cover wider range of frequencies BUT! I don`t have a well treated room - place for Imac and monitors is in a very big room with kitchen behind a bar.
So, question to pros - will bass from a sub be resonating somewhere in a bathroom, instead of punching right into my ears (that`s what happens actually with my another hi-fi sound playback system) or i would be able to monitor good basses anyways? So - a rhetorical question:
1. A pair of A8x in non-treated, wide opened place
2. A pair of A7x`s plus Sub8 in a same place?
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

How about 3. ?

3. Treat your room.

Yey!

Then go with 2. A7x+Sub8
Old 7th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream View Post
i hope the new adams will have more low end. i want to make hip hop/electronic music with them.
I compared new ones with old ones and new one definately have more lows. I think their over all frequency ballance is really good. However, they don't have mid forward charactor like old ones, this might turn you off if you liked the charactor of old ones.

I think if you use them really near field, they have more than enough lows. I have A5X and I hear more than enough lows. I don't like most of the subs, their lows are hyped and not accurate, unless you really know how to set those up.

If you are used to listening with subs, you might feel they don't have enough lows. It all depends on what you are used to listening and how you want to hear it.
Old 7th September 2010
no sub

I wouldn't run a sub if your rooms under 12'x14'. And treat it for petes sake, its not that hard to "do it yourself"... I would also wait for Adam to fix the rattle and port fart...unless your partially def, then buy away
Old 7th September 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmow View Post
I compared new ones with old ones and new one definately have more lows. I think their over all frequency ballance is really good. However, they don't have mid forward charactor like old ones, this might turn you off if you liked the charactor of old ones.
This really put me off. Now I am confused. I don't know anymore whether I want the A7 or the A7X. I know that the A7 got the many awards and they are easy to mix with and their sound translates very well to other systems. Also although they don't have much lows, the bass is tight and easy to work with. That's what I read about them and that's what I need!

But then the new A7X came and everybody said they were better, but better sounding or better to work with. To me that is a big difference. I will use them for mixes and I need to be able to work easily with them, not to enjoy music on them. I need to be able to easily decide how much compression to put on a vocal and how much reverb. The reason the A7 were so godd was that they had that forward middle for which reason they compared them to the NS10.

Please, guys, help me! What do you think?
Old 7th September 2010
Here for the gear

It is impossible to treat!

Because it is huge but first it is a living room and it looks nice without foam pads over the fireplace)
Old 7th September 2010
Lives for gear
I too am trying to decide between the A7's and the A7x's...I'd like to order this week if possible, but don't want to make a bad choice.
Old 7th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB_12 View Post
I too am trying to decide between the A7's and the A7x's...I'd like to order this week if possible, but don't want to make a bad choice.
Somebody posted wave files of all the x seris + the A7 and the A7x had a LOT more bass that the A7. So if you want to hear whats going on down there I'd go with A7x. And if you work at low level then you'll probably wont encounter the noise problem people are talking about, right? Or just wait until this is sorted out.
Old 7th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooferVampire View Post
I dont know what to do now, I thought Adams were gonna rival focal solos. Now I find myself getting caught up in a speaker war and not making music..if I would have bought some hs80's 3 months ago I would made multiple mixes by now instead of trying to get the next best thing.......
I hate to disapoint you, but the AX Series is more on par with the Focal CMS Series not the SM6 line. They are even priced similar to the CMS 65's. Both I would assume are very good speakers in their price arena. The Adam SX Series competes with the Focal SM6 line that includes the Twins and Solos. The Adam SX Series has improved amps and parts compared to the AX Series, as does the Focal SM6 line compared to their CMS line.
Old 7th September 2010
Lives for gear

I just picked up a Ford Feista but am a little disappointed it's performance is not on a par with the Ford GT
Old 8th September 2010
Messy situation

Ive learned alot lately about chasing the right monitor.
1)Its not easy
2)your on your own
3)everyones opinion is just that...an opinion.
4)In the end YOU are the one listening to them all day and night.
5) ALOT OF HYPE IN THE MONITOR INDUSTRY!!!!!!
6) Dont buy new products until you have read reviews on Gearslutz.com
7) Outfit your room with acoustical treatment and bass traps, and let the auditions and returns begin!!!!

But I would like to say thanks to Adam for returning my A8X's and understanding why!
Old 11th September 2010
My little contribution.
I've been waiting patiently for the new AX serie to arrive here in New Zealand. I've gone for a listening session, had A7x, A5x and A7 to compare.
First I was so surprised how DIFFERENT the A7x and A7 sounded.
To me it was apparent that the A7x was curved in the middle, nice, but kinda how people would listen to music on their hifi. Better bass on the A7x but the A7 just seemed more balanced, and cristal clear in all registers.
By the way i took some kik tracks (sh101 home made) and I could hear the rattling in the A7x (not the A5x, not the A7). IMO It would be hard to be mixing a kik level and trying to know if it is clipping or if it is the rattling playing up...
The difference between the A5x and the A7 wasn't as big as with the A7x. But more 'spacing', stereo imaging and clarity with the A7. and the A5 was struggling with my kik tracks at higher levels. The power might be the same between those 2, but the boomer size of the A7 makes a difference. Great bass for it size though, I would take the A5x if the A7 was really too big for you in your setup.
I was really surprised to go home with the older model, as I was was expecting an improved new model...
Save some money too as the A7 were going 20% cheaper for clearance!
Really amazed at the A7. Just took 2dB off the tweeter, and really happy. Will see how it translate now.
Would appreciate A7 owner to PM me their impressions on how to adjust best the Highs level on the speaker to avoid 'muffled' tracks when mixing with such clarity in the highs and high mids. (Am i on the right track with -2dB on the tweeter or should i play with the 6kHz)
thanks!
dave
Old 11th September 2010
Lives for gear

Can anyone confirm if the port issue has been resolved with the Adam A8x's?
Old 11th September 2010
Gear Addict

My A7s have always had the port noise problem but they're still my favourite near-fields ever.

When I'm working with people here the usual reaction is that the A7s (and I assume the A7xs too) have surprising bass extension.. but I think that's the problem. When you put a sub bass through them and turn them up, they just can't handle it. But when you're playing a full mix at average listening levels you won't hear any port noise.

Regarding quality control.. I demoed a pair of Adam S1Xs a few weeks back and one was out of phase with the other. Trust me, I tried different cables etc, re-checked my other monitors.. so, not great QC especially at that price. Still love those small Adam monitors though but my advice is get a bigger pair from another company for midfield and bass duties.
Old 11th September 2010
Here for the gear

Have anyone compared the A7X to the Focal CSM65? On paper Adam A7X have much wider frequency response, but how is that in reality? The Focals are also 400 Euro more expensive for a pair, so I wonder if they are thay much better and if that 400 euro is worth spending.
Old 11th September 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanibaytchev View Post
Have anyone compared the A7X to the Focal CSM65? On paper Adam A7X have much wider frequency response, but how is that in reality? The Focals are also 400 Euro more expensive for a pair, so I wonder if they are thay much better and if that 400 euro is worth spending.

Hi,

Not really because Adam does not give you what do the 42Hz refer to (is it -3, -5, -10dB ? ...).
The CMS 65 frequency response is 45Hz-28kHz +/- 3dB).
Nicolas @ Focal.
Old 11th September 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas debard View Post
Hi,

Not really because Adam does not give you what do the 42Hz refer to (is it -3, -5, -10dB ? ...).
The CMS 65 frequency response is 45Hz-28kHz +/- 3dB).
Nicolas @ Focal.
So technically the difference isn't that much of a difference, but then how do they compete sonically?
Old 11th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanibaytchev View Post
So technically the difference isn't that much of a difference, but then how do they compete sonically?
no, he meant that you could'nt tell just from paper specs because you don't know how to interpret the frequency range correctly of the adams.

heard them both in the same room, very different sounding speakers... frequency range seems pretty comparable with the adams a little bit more hifi-sounding and the focals flatter/more mids... i liked them both and i think i could work with both.... but that means nothing to you... so go listen yourself!
Old 12th September 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVogi View Post

heard them both in the same room, very different sounding speakers... frequency range seems pretty comparable with the adams a little bit more hifi-sounding and the focals flatter/more mids... i liked them both and i think i could work with both.... but that means nothing to you... so go listen yourself!
You are right, I have to listen to them, but there is no chance of that in my country. That is why I go and ask people what they think. Totally wrong I know, but that's my only option for now. It is very hard to decide. Especially when I mistaked once in the past and I don't want to mistake again.
Old 13th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
Focals are amazing, ADAM are amazing... I could not build a speaker like either (and I have tried)...

Both their tweeter designs are exceptional!!! It sucks you got farted on though...
who cares for the ****ing tweater? I am constantly producing muddy mixes
with A7s. Lack of low mids. Superior tweeter doesn't mean better translation to real world speakers!
Next time I go with traditional soft dome, the most widely spread tweeter in consumer systems.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search