The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 23rd March 2010
bee
Lives for gear

I wish they would put the controls on the back, they would look much nicer.
Old 23rd March 2010
TC5
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D View Post
IMO these are better looking monitors than the SX series. I like the "old design" better, especially in the case of the tweeter. I can see these becoming very popular monitors.
All the manufacturers going with "rounded" edge enclosures for speakers should really move on from that sorry trend. It looks sh*t. Gimme a nice crisp clean rectangular box any day over this cutesy cr*p.
Old 23rd March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC5 View Post
All the manufacturers going with "rounded" edge enclosures for speakers should really move on from that sorry trend. It looks sh*t. Gimme a nice crisp clean rectangular box any day over this cutesy cr*p.
And reinstall all those neat edge diffractions. Form should follow function not the other way round.
Old 23rd March 2010
TC5
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphonic View Post
And reinstall all those neat edge diffractions. Form should follow function not the other way round.
Do the external corners need to be rounded? If angles are an issue then perhaps spherical speaker cabs are the way to go?
Old 23rd March 2010
F5D
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do the external corners need to be rounded? If angles are an issue then perhaps spherical speaker cabs are the way to go?
Sharp corners cause diffraction. For example B&W use spherical shapes with their high end models.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Naw, spherical speaker cabs keep rolling off the meter bridge.
Old 23rd March 2010
Here for the gear

It is good to see that everyone here is an engineer and qualified to make such broad assertions with no stated assumptions or data.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ander View Post
It is good to see that everyone here is an engineer and qualified to make such broad assertions with no stated assumptions or data.
Hey, I resent that.

I've built several spherical speakers and I can state categorically that spherical speaker cabs DO indeed roll off the meter bridge. I'll post my data and proofs later.
Old 23rd March 2010
TC5
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
Hey, I resent that.

I've built several spherical speakers and I can state categorically that spherical speaker cabs DO indeed roll off the meter bridge. I'll post my data and proofs later.
heh heh
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

How would the AX compare to the SX series ?
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

they're not as good.
Old 24th March 2010
TC5
Lives for gear

I look forward nonetheless to heard reports on the sound (and build quality) of the A7x.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

I have to report, again, that I have a pair of A7s that have been working 50+hrs week for over 1 & 1/2 yrs with zero issues, at all volumes. They are not sequentially numbered. since discovering these negative ADAM A7 posts, I have inspected my monitors closely, and found that one of them has a rough finished exit port compared to the other one, but I can't really hear it affecting the sound.
I will say that in some recordings, I can very clearly hear the port noise that people mention, but ANY ported monitor will have that same edge effect issue..
Mine do have VERY slight standby/idle noise, but only when the gain knobs on the front are dimed. When music is playing, I can't hear it.

I wish my speakers had detented knob settings, but other than that I have no real complaints with my ADAMs. Sucks to hear about all the bad things people have experienced with ADAM. I haven't, at all, so I just thought I'd offer my own experience as perspective. Caveat Emptor.
Old 26th March 2010
I have not read about what peoples problems have been to be fair ,

I also have had A7's for while, with no problems.

But it is funny here on GS they were all the rage, then some backlash...
sounds about right, par for the course here.

Unless there is a serial numbers after kind of consistency to the problems and complaints, I'd be reluctant to take much stock in the complaints.

I'm not denying problems that people may have had, its just that these things can be distorted, ie. not representative of all the users by any means.

I think if Adam is standing by people and repairing legit problems, and making the speakers in Germany with skilled labor and good parts then it would be shame to slam them "as being of bad quality latley" unless you have a specific story of your own issue.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
How would the AX compare to the SX series ?
The SX series sinks quicker in water.

Assuming that's the comparison you wanted.
Old 28th March 2010
Here for the gear

Looking at the specs in Adam's website:

Code:
             Mid-Woofer        Tweeter
A3X           A/B                A/B
A5X           PWM                PWM
A7X           PWM                A/B
A8X           PWM                A/B
It looks to me the big difference between the A3X/A7X to the A5X is the AMP used in the tweeter - PWM instead of A/B compared to the rest. Or is it just a typo?
Old 29th March 2010
March 29 2010 Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyi View Post
When A8X release?

Thanks
We are told A3X's will be shipping early May, and the 5-7-8X will ship early June.
Old 29th March 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hey, I resent that.

Harvey, my comment wasn't directed toward your comment (which would be relatively easy to prove compared to some other broad assertions about speaker design)

My point was that there must be some logic to the speaker design...and that the engineers who designed it have data to back it up (i hope anyway). There are pros and cons to any design and most likely other factors that contribute to sound wave diffraction - That all being said, I have never designed a speaker and the fact that you have experience in speaker design pretty much gives more weight to what you say in comparison.

I am however, an engineer, and I hate to see emotional debate without presentation of facts.

Anyway, please don't take offense.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ander View Post
Harvey, my comment wasn't directed toward your comment (which would be relatively easy to prove compared to some other broad assertions about speaker design)

My point was that there must be some logic to the speaker design...and that the engineers who designed it have data to back it up (i hope anyway). There are pros and cons to any design and most likely other factors that contribute to sound wave diffraction - That all being said, I have never designed a speaker and the fact that you have experience in speaker design pretty much gives more weight to what you say in comparison.

I am however, an engineer, and I hate to see emotional debate without presentation of facts.

Anyway, please don't take offense.
Hey, no offense taken; my tongue was pushed about as far as it could go into my cheek when I posted that. And I pretty much agree with you, anyway.

Sadly, a lot of speaker designs these days are built to a price, which forces the designer to make compromises that seriously affect the sound. When I designed the Trident HG3's, I didn't have any restrictions placed on the design, except for size. This allowed me to evaluate all the usual compromises made in conventional near field speakers and come up with a rather novel approach (I thought) to a near field speaker design.

As a designer, I can't break the laws of physics, but I think I can bend 'em pretty good.

And on a separate note, there are a lot of current speaker companies and speaker designers that I admire. My intent is not to compete with anybody - I'm hoping there are enough people out there who understand and appreciate the design of any products I come up with.

On that note, I'm not going to post further in this thread, as this should be about the new Adam speakers, not mine.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_Stoian View Post
any impressions from the MESSE?
unfortunatley it's difficult to say when listening at the Messe. i guess we'll just have to wait untill somebody auditions the new series in a controlled environment.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

If all goes well, I be getting the a pair A7x pretty soon!
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Head

Thats the A3X

Old 6th April 2010
Gear Addict

SOB! I just got my A7's a few months ago in January. *sigh* (Assuming the new ones are an improvement, not that the current ones are "bad")

There goes the resale if I decided to flip em...
Old 7th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSkoolTone View Post
SOB! I just got my A7's a few months ago in January. *sigh* (Assuming the new ones are an improvement, not that the current ones are "bad")

There goes the resale if I decided to flip em...
Hey I bought mine today! and I can't even turn them on for another couple of weeks while I wait for my superdelayed Apogee order.

I only came onto the Adam site to find an online manual for the A7, not only do I find out there dont have one, but that the monitors have been superseeded before ive even got them out of the boxes!

All of a sudden by well haggled B-stock (but perfect condition) price doesn't seem all that great when I could probably only sell them for that myself...DOH
Old 9th April 2010
Here for the gear

@ dannys1:
Just a hint: information on the 'older' ADAM products can be found in the product archive (still being updated) on the ADAM website. You also find manuals there.

Hope this helps.

Best,

ADAMs_apple
Old 12th April 2010
Gear Head

here you can watch some great videos about the adam ax series from the musikmesse

the guy in the first video is klaus heinz, the founder of adam audio.

YouTube - Adam AX-Serie - Musikmesse Frankfurt 2010

YouTube - Adam AX Series Speakers - Musikmesse 2010

YouTube - [MUSIK MESSE 2010] - ADAM AUDIO - AX SERIE
Old 13th April 2010
Here for the gear

can anyone tell me if they think the A8X's would be ok for a small room (15 x 13 x 15), or you reckon it will be a better idea to get the A7x's and maybe add a sub later?

Thanks
Old 14th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream View Post
here you can watch some great videos about the adam ax series from the musikmesse

the guy in the first video is klaus heinz, the founder of adam audio.

YouTube - Adam AX-Serie - Musikmesse Frankfurt 2010

YouTube - Adam AX Series Speakers - Musikmesse 2010

YouTube - [MUSIK MESSE 2010] - ADAM AUDIO - AX SERIE
Thank you for the videos.
Old 14th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
We are told A3X's will be shipping early May, and the 5-7-8X will ship early June.
Are these dates worldwide or will they ship earlier to europe?
Old 14th April 2010
Lives for gear

From direct comparisons with A7 to A7x, there seems to be a LOT more low end (so I've been told).

About the shipping dates in Europe... anyone have a clue?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search