The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Why?

If The Dream and euphoria89 have stated it doesn't affect them for whatever they are doing (obviously not mixing sine waves), then what is the purpose for suggesting it?

Sinewaves make it obvious and clear to perceive. Then there is always kick drum and bass or any other low end material. I was shocked to have mixed an album only later to have found that the port noise was there all along but was masked by the higher freq content (beater sound etc). Coming from the A7's I was rejoicing with the added lower end - the mix came out ok, but listening back after it was sent to mastering, I would have done alot better with the A7's. The nice ''punch'' I had was partly port noise and came lacking thereafter.

I had a pair that went nuts with port noise farting at ridiculously low volume. Ridiculously low, really.
Old 14th August 2010
A8X's

As promised I wanted to chime back in with my experience on the new Adam A8X monitors.

First Impressions: They certainly look awesome when you pull them out of the box. Also, They are a little bigger than I imagined them to be. Since I had them shipped to my residence my first test was hooking them up to my iMac.

WOW! These monitors sound amazing! I was immediately impressed with the lows on these. Not just how low they reach but also how tight the low end response is. Something interesting I found is that the lows still sound full and impressive at lower volumes. I listened to a range of different mixes on these from dense rock mixes to soft acoustic music. Everything I played, brought a smile to my face. Here's some over-used buzz words for you: Tight bass, shimmering highs, and detailed! I would describe the mids as forward which I really appreciate since I have been mixing on Yamaha NS-10's for years. So the home test was a success! Now to the studio.

I brought them in just before a session, so I wasn't able to hook them up before the client arrived. It was an all day session so it was killing me to have to wait until the end of the day to hear these. All day I kept thinking, "I wonder how this would sound on the Adams?" Finally at the days end I was able to install them. Again WOW! They sounded even better in a more controlled environment. Now I was able to A/B them with the NS-10's. They have a similar mid range character, but the lows and highs are of course very different. I put up a mix with full rock drums, everything sounded nice and detailed, and guess what....NO PORT NOISE WHEN SOLOING LOW FREQUENCY MATERIAL! We also did a sine wave test and found no port noise (even at loud volumes) with sine waves whatsoever, with the speakers reproducing sound all the way down to 32HZ! Maybe we just got lucky but we have no port noise whatsoever.

I couldn't be happier with the A8X's right now. I have yet to do extensive mixing on them but I'm very excited to try!
Old 15th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelekonStudios View Post
As promised I wanted to chime back in with my experience on the new Adam A8X monitors.

First Impressions: They certainly look awesome when you pull them out of the box. Also, They are a little bigger than I imagined them to be. Since I had them shipped to my residence my first test was hooking them up to my iMac.

WOW! These monitors sound amazing! I was immediately impressed with the lows on these. Not just how low they reach but also how tight the low end response is. Something interesting I found is that the lows still sound full and impressive at lower volumes. I listened to a range of different mixes on these from dense rock mixes to soft acoustic music. Everything I played, brought a smile to my face. Here's some over-used buzz words for you: Tight bass, shimmering highs, and detailed! I would describe the mids as forward which I really appreciate since I have been mixing on Yamaha NS-10's for years. So the home test was a success! Now to the studio.

I brought them in just before a session, so I wasn't able to hook them up before the client arrived. It was an all day session so it was killing me to have to wait until the end of the day to hear these. All day I kept thinking, "I wonder how this would sound on the Adams?" Finally at the days end I was able to install them. Again WOW! They sounded even better in a more controlled environment. Now I was able to A/B them with the NS-10's. They have a similar mid range character, but the lows and highs are of course very different. I put up a mix with full rock drums, everything sounded nice and detailed, and guess what....NO PORT NOISE WHEN SOLOING LOW FREQUENCY MATERIAL! We also did a sine wave test and found no port noise (even at loud volumes) with sine waves whatsoever, with the speakers reproducing sound all the way down to 32HZ! Maybe we just got lucky but we have no port noise whatsoever.

I couldn't be happier with the A8X's right now. I have yet to do extensive mixing on them but I'm very excited to try!
The fact that some people find there to be no port noise is very disconcerting. Was there a bad run of the early ax series? Wish i knew more about what is going on. It seems there are obviously some problems however since adam must have found there to be port noise if they are offering a solution, But why do some people hear none whatsoever? Very strange.

What is also peculiar is that i have port noise at the same point on each speaker, so it seems design inherent.
Old 15th August 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedbear View Post
The fact that some people find there to be no port noise is very disconcerting. Was there a bad run of the early ax series? Wish i knew more about what is going on. It seems there are obviously some problems however since adam must have found there to be port noise if they are offering a solution, But why do some people hear none whatsoever? Very strange.

What is also peculiar is that i have port noise at the same point on each speaker, so it seems design inherent.
There's a consistent problem - we know this for sure, because the Adam guy said so - but since some people have it and some people don't, one conclusion could be that this problem can show up if the speakers aren't assembled exactly correctly. Maybe it just has to do with how the tube is seated. Some posters say pressing on the tube can vary the effect, which might support that theory.

The fact that several models in both Ax and Sx series intermittently suffer from it would seem to bear out that it's not just a simple design flaw. Maybe they just need to test their speakers better after assembly before they send them out.
Old 15th August 2010
I recently had an opportunity to do some tracking and mixing on these new Adam A8xs. They are very detailed and clear throughout the frequency range. Lows don't get muddy when there is a lot of activity, but instead, stay crisp and let you make good judgements. Highs are detailed without being harsh or fatiguing. Mids are very good, but sound just a tad forward to me. I say this because, while the mix translated well about 90% of the time, a few guitar tracks that sounded perfectly in balance on the Adams, almost vanished when playing back on other systems. I guess vanished is too harsh, but the tracks seemed a good 2 to 3 db too low on other systems. It doesn't sound like a lot, but just 1 db in a mix can really change things.

All in all, they are very good monitors. No issues with port noise. Nearly as easy to work on as some of the high end Genelec's I've used before, which cost many many times the amount of the Adams. Mixing was painless, and I didn't have to sit and analyze what I was hearing, but rather was able to operate on instinct and thus get things done better and faster.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the best, I'd give these a 9. Yes, there are better monitors out there... if you can afford them. But if that's out of the question, these are some of the best I've heard at their price point, and better than some others that are more expensive. I'd be very happy to own a pair of these!
Old 15th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedbear View Post

I feel for you man. Obviously I'm happy that I don't have this issue, but I can imagine how disappointing it is for others who do. At least Adam is stepping up and trying to correct the mistake. I hope you have a resolution to this problem soon as they are amazing monitors.
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

New AX Series from ADAM

I'm a happy A5x user. They have so much definition that I've never heard before.
Only thing I'm worried about is that I hope some fruit bugs won't be sucked into the ribbon tweeter.
Old 18th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmow View Post
Only thing I'm worried about is that I hope some fruit bugs won't be sucked into the ribbon tweeter.
I'd be more worried about demons entering through the bass ports. I swear one of my A7s spoke to me the other day.

Old 18th August 2010
Here for the gear

How to set up the A7 Xs

I'm new to this forum & just purchased some A7X speakers today.

Does anyone know where to get a legible copy of the graphs within the manual so I can set up the 3 parameters on the rear control panel?

Both in the manual and on the .PDF from the Adam website the graphs are totally illegible.

Any advice would be appreciated....
Old 18th August 2010
Lives for gear

What do you mean about 'setting them up'? The pots on the back should all be upright, and then tuned according to your taste. The speakers are at their 'optimum' already, the graphs won't really help you here...
Old 19th August 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by loungin rec View Post
I'm new to this forum & just purchased some A7X speakers today.

Does anyone know where to get a legible copy of the graphs within the manual so I can set up the 3 parameters on the rear control panel?

Both in the manual and on the .PDF from the Adam website the graphs are totally illegible.

Any advice would be appreciated....
the speakers are already set, you should use that eq to correct any room problems. try borrowing a measurement mic and do some tests, you find that the frequency response is totally different than what the manufacturer sais due to the acoustics of your room.
Old 19th August 2010
Here for the gear

So when is the fix coming? Have the same problem with my S1X.

And Adam supports is sooo bad. Sent them an email 4 months ago (before I bought them) and an email about the rattle problem 3 weeks ago.

Still no answers tutt

thx adam
Old 20th August 2010
Here for the gear

adam a5x,a7x

been following the threads with port noise issue>>
Have auditioned demo pairs of a3x,a5x and a7x.ran a sine sweep thru a7x and there is definite farting at around 53hz.Very distracting if you're trying to nail/align some sub bass notes.I figured i would then audition the A5x.,with sub.No subs available yet in my country.Was disappointed to find horrid flapping sound on A5x whilst listening to Underworld's(Little Speaker)track.quite ironic!The track is bass heavy,but the flapping sound resembles that of a partially blown driver.For those who claim there is no port disturbance,check it out.I tried clamping the ports with my fingers as suggested in various threads,didnt help.was running speakers at half volume.definitely not driving too hard.decided to open up the front(switch/volume) panel and found a loose flange-gasket which may causing the issue.have notified the local dealer about this problem.Could be more of a build quality control issue rather than design flaw.
Old 24th August 2010
Lives for gear

I've been trying the A3X as a monitor while editing, wow !!!!
I'm keeping it . how can such a small speaker be so fat ? .
Brilliant.
Old 26th August 2010
Here for the gear

New AX Series from ADAM

I've ordered a pair of a7xs since the beginning of August. I was told by the supplier that they contacted Adams and was given an ETA of mid august. I was fine with that thinking oh lots of ppl are buying so demand is higher than supply. Ffwd to today I still haven't gotten the monitors and the new ETA from Adams is mid September. I've searched other online resellers like b&h and they too are out of stock. Anyone experiencing the same situation? Me thinks Adams has stopped shipping of the a7x or the ax line completely until they can come up with a redesign.
Old 26th August 2010
Lives for gear

New AX Series from ADAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasongittens
Anyone experiencing the same situation? Me thinks Adams has stopped shipping of the a7x or the ax line completely until they can come up with a redesign.
They might be working on the port noise issue. The port noise problem might be solved but they might sounds totally different which I'm afraid of.
Old 26th August 2010
I figured out the port noise!!!!!

If you have the port noise simply put a flashlight up to the port and you will see wires and stuff rattling around tutt (If you dont you just cant see them) So adam has a bad flaw in the wiring routing. It seems they are the wires from the front controls that get in the way of the port reflection. One of my speakers wasnt too bad but the other was rattling like a champ....dfegad..simple as that. I dont have a fix for it except Im returning my A8X's today.....Bye Bye ADAM I cant beleive they would let these out from the factory..and I thought the tweeters sucked compared to FOCAL...Go with focals all the way heh
Old 26th August 2010
Gear Head

cough...

Focals are not flawless.
Old 27th August 2010
just my opinion

Adams are nowhere near the quality of focals. especially after this thread settles in....I am super pissed cuz I was tryin to prove my buddy wrong..He owns focals and I was tryin to compare to them, but how when your bass frequency is like an honest to goodness FART!dfegadADAM Audio
Old 27th August 2010
Lives for gear

Focals are amazing, ADAM are amazing... I could not build a speaker like either (and I have tried)...

Both their tweeter designs are exceptional!!! It sucks you got farted on though...
Old 28th August 2010
yes u r right

They are both great speakers, but when you have a new product fail, it shows the companies expansion weakness. It appears to me they tried too hard on the tweeter (acheiving 50 khz) and forgot about the bass response and clarity. I wonder if they thought they could "fool" us with a product they knew was faulty. They couldn't sit on 1 million speakers just because of a small issue like port noise..YEAH RIGHT! they lost a customer for life. PERIOD. I still cant beleive I plugged the old HR824's back in after dishing out nearly 2 grand to Adamtutt
Old 29th August 2010
Lives for gear

I'm looking forward to my new A8X's. If i get a bad set and they're crap they'll go back. Hope it's all good though cause I can't wait to get them.
Old 29th August 2010
Lives for gear

I thought about the new 8 AX Series, but then wondered how much better their SX series is? Better amps, material? How does the AX series compare to the Focal Solo's?
Old 30th August 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizer bunny View Post
I'm looking forward to my new A8X's. If i get a bad set and they're crap they'll go back. Hope it's all good though cause I can't wait to get them.
Basically sums up my view on the matter!
Old 4th September 2010
best of luck

I purchased my (sent back) adam A8x's and then read this thread. Hoping mine would be quality also.....No luck. Go to Adams Facebook page and read up I was so unhappy spending nearly 2 g's and getting woofer flutter and vibration :( But Zzounds returned them thumbsup and had said that they returned quite a few....
Old 4th September 2010
Gear Maniac

Anyone know what the word is on when there will be a7x in stock anywhere? I feel like I've been waiting to buy a pair forever.
Old 4th September 2010
Gear Maniac

So, did ADAM finally came up with solution for this woofer problem or not?
Old 4th September 2010
probably not..

I think the delay is redesigning the wiring and ports, so it'll be a while.
Old 5th September 2010
Here for the gear

I just want to say that I'm following this thread with great interest as I intend to buy Adam A7X speakers on the 2nd of October when I will pass by Thomann, so I'm hoping this port noise problem will be solved out until then.
Old 5th September 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanibaytchev View Post
I just want to say that I'm following this thread with great interest as I intend to buy Adam A7X speakers on the 2nd of October when I will pass by Thomann, so I'm hoping this port noise problem will be solved out until then.
I hope so too because i'm still waiting for a solution so i can order them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search