The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 10th August 2010
  #511
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
Do you guys think the update will solve the buzz problem at bass frequencies expenses? There will be slightly less bass presence?
I'm not exactly sure what flanges means but if it's what i think it is i don't see how that could lower bass responses.
Old 11th August 2010
  #513
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustacheVerra View Post
I'm not exactly sure what flanges means but if it's what i think it is i don't see how that could lower bass responses.
Well if these flanges make the tubes more stiff and stable, it might help. I can somewhat fix the port noise by pressing down the tubes with my fingers. tutt
Old 11th August 2010
  #514
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker View Post

Last edited by MustacheVerra; 3rd November 2010 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: crap
Old 11th August 2010
  #515
Here for the gear
 

Just listened to A7X's yesterday for the first time. I'm torn between them and Genelecs 8020/30. Adams still lack bass for my taste - are any of u guys using a sub with them and does it compensate well?
Old 11th August 2010
  #516
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
Well if these flanges make the tubes more stiff and stable, it might help. I can somewhat fix the port noise by pressing down the tubes with my fingers. tutt
Most important thing I guess is to make it as simple as possible so these flange(s) won't be installed at service.

Seems it works as you describe, adding pressure to connection. But if its actually something like semi-closing the port then one will lose sub info (with doesn't always mean it has to be a bad thing...I guess...)
Old 11th August 2010
  #517
Lives for gear
 
Suda Badri's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul765 View Post
Just listened to A7X's yesterday for the first time. I'm torn between them and Genelecs 8020/30. Adams still lack bass for my taste - are any of u guys using a sub with them and does it compensate well?
most clients where I work that have bought ADAM have bought their subs too... I think a sub is vital when using ADAM's if the type of music you are working on calls for a lot of bass and you cant take chances in terms of accuracy in the lower octaves...
Old 11th August 2010
  #518
Here for the gear
 
Epan's Avatar
 

I have been using the A7X since april together with a sub and I love them! They helped my mixes, especially in the bass region, transfer much better to "real world scenarios." I also use Genelec and KRK VXT8, but prefer to mix on the ADAMS. Unfortunately I have also been able to reproduce this kind of port noise allthough I am using the subs. It doesn`t happen often, and usually only on one of the speakers. It mostly happens on recorded music that haven`t been mixed yet. I hope they work this out. When I`m with a client I have to use another set of monitors when they want to listen loud...
Old 11th August 2010
  #519
Lives for gear
 
The MPCist's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
I think a sub is vital when using ADAM's if the type of music you are working on calls for a lot of bass and you cant take chances in terms of accuracy in the lower octaves...
Depends on which ADAMs, with the S3X-H's subs aren't necessary, IMHO.
Old 12th August 2010
  #520
Here for the gear
 

hi everybody!
1st post in this VERY useful forum. I really need a suggestion from you, if you can, please!
I'm about to buy new monitors for my small studio (4 x 3 mt) they'll be my first professional monitors and i was seriously thinking about Adam a7x (or dynaudio bm5a mk2), but then i found this thread and... you know...
so what your suggestion? dynas or adam? I know there's a bm5a mk2 vs adam a7x thread but i'm really interested/worried about the rattling (and the port noise) so i hope it's ok to ask here.

I make electronic music with analog gears like modular system, drum synthesizers etc. so it could often happens to have only low frequencies waveforms when try to find the desired bass (or kickdrum) sound.

I also mix songs (mainly electronic + acoustic instruments + vocals) or readings...

hope you can help me
thank you in advance
Rinco
Old 12th August 2010
  #521
Lives for gear
 
dickiefunk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinco View Post
hi everybody!
1st post in this VERY useful forum. I really need a suggestion from you, if you can, please!
I'm about to buy new monitors for my small studio (4 x 3 mt) they'll be my first professional monitors and i was seriously thinking about Adam a7x (or dynaudio bm5a mk2), but then i found this thread and... you know...
so what your suggestion? dynas or adam? I know there's a bm5a mk2 vs adam a7x thread but i'm really interested/worried about the rattling (and the port noise) so i hope it's ok to ask here.

I make electronic music with analog gears like modular system, drum synthesizers etc. so it could often happens to have only low frequencies waveforms when try to find the desired bass (or kickdrum) sound.

I also mix songs (mainly electronic + acoustic instruments + vocals) or readings...

hope you can help me
thank you in advance
Rinco
I compared the Adam A7 (original), Dynaudio BM6a mkII and Focal CMS65's. I much preferred the Focals and bought the CMS65's. Might be worth adding the Focal CMS range to your auditioning list.
Old 12th August 2010
  #522
Here for the gear
 

thank you dickiefunk for your quick answer and suggestion!
but... oh no! a third option!

i'll add them to the list, but they're a bit more expensive and i was already at the limit. :(
Old 12th August 2010
  #523
Lives for gear
 
dickiefunk's Avatar
The CMS 40 and CMS 50's are getting good feedback so these might be within your budget?
Old 12th August 2010
  #524
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieR007 View Post
Can we have a definitive list from Adam of which models they plan to produce a fix for please? It's unclear to me from this thread whether it applies to the whole AX range, or just the A7X / A8X. Thanks.
This will include the compete AX series plus S1X through both versions of the S3X´s. The bigger models do not have the problem because of the bigger tubes.


Klaus
Old 12th August 2010
  #525
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
Most important thing I guess is to make it as simple as possible so these flange(s) won't be installed at service.

Seems it works as you describe, adding pressure to connection. But if its actually something like semi-closing the port then one will lose sub info (with doesn't always mean it has to be a bad thing...I guess...)
No it is not closing the port in any way, the bass response stays untouched.


Klaus
Old 12th August 2010
  #526
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustacheVerra View Post
I'm not exactly sure what flanges means but if it's what i think it is i don't see how that could lower bass responses.
it is not affecting the bass response, but the air flow into the tube is more laminar that way thus avoiding the additional noise, that sometimes was was called rattling here.
Old 12th August 2010
  #527
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
The CMS 40 and CMS 50's are getting good feedback so these might be within your budget?
yes cms50s are in my budget, i'm just wondering if 55hz is enough for me (don't have a sub), i now have 5" woofer and it's veeery poor in the lo-freq (i use a guitar amp to help ) but now i think we're going off the thread...
thank you anyway, i'll think about!
Old 12th August 2010
  #528
Lives for gear
 
Suda Badri's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
Depends on which ADAMs, with the S3X-H's subs aren't necessary, IMHO.
Yes I should have mentioned the Ax series... even the A8x's come alive with a sub 8 nearby... the S3x's are so full and open, it does not leave me wanting any more... except maybe enough money to buy a pair!!
Old 12th August 2010
  #529
Lives for gear
 
entropy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
Yes I should have mentioned the Ax series... even the A8x's come alive with a sub 8 nearby... the S3x's are so full and open, it does not leave me wanting any more... except maybe enough money to buy a pair!!
Yes agreed but I have a client with S3X-H that also uses a Sub12. I was sceptical about the need for the sub at first but having heard it, would totally do the same if I had the money, it frikkin' kicks arse
Old 13th August 2010
  #530
Lives for gear
 
Suda Badri's Avatar
 

hahaha dont tell me that!!!! We have yet to try pump the S3x's anywhere near full volume in our shop (with music reference anyway)... we are afraid the walls will come down... adding a sub would probably confirm our fears hahaheh
Old 13th August 2010
  #531
Here for the gear
 
Epan's Avatar
 

Quote:
hi everybody!
1st post in this VERY useful forum. I really need a suggestion from you, if you can, please!
I'm about to buy new monitors for my small studio (4 x 3 mt) they'll be my first professional monitors and i was seriously thinking about Adam a7x (or dynaudio bm5a mk2), but then i found this thread and... you know...
so what your suggestion? dynas or adam? I know there's a bm5a mk2 vs adam a7x thread but i'm really interested/worried about the rattling (and the port noise) so i hope it's ok to ask here.

I make electronic music with analog gears like modular system, drum synthesizers etc. so it could often happens to have only low frequencies waveforms when try to find the desired bass (or kickdrum) sound.

I also mix songs (mainly electronic + acoustic instruments + vocals) or readings...

hope you can help me
thank you in advance
Rinco
I would not go for the bm5`s but try out bm 6, i think they do a pretty decent job. Never tried the Focals but know and love people that use them, so guess their fine to. As for me I´m stuck with the ADAM´s family, but you know what... I love them to.. Maybe not much help, but find your monitors, mix on them, get to know them in your room and produce killer mixes. I dont`t know what else to say...
Old 13th August 2010
  #532
Lives for gear
 
Suda Badri's Avatar
 

^This is...


When you get into high-end monitoring (high-end anything really) you are picking between different flavours of awesome... Focals are bad-ass little guys, gonna hear the barefoots soon... excited about that.
Old 13th August 2010
  #533
Here for the gear
 

thnx guys! unfortunately the bm6a's too are out of my budget :(
i have stupid voices inside repeating "go for adam! go for adam!" are they stupid for real?
Old 13th August 2010
  #534
Lives for gear
 
Big_Bang's Avatar
 

They certainly are very real... I am starting to have nightmares!!



I miss my A7x soooo bad... The worse thing is I cannot go back the Adam route for now until I am 100% certain I have no port noise.

I really hate this because I am usually not that picky for the odd flaw or two in a product, but I have a tremendous amount of work in the next year or two, hammering sinewaves into isochronic beats. I mean, its the equivalent to going through kick drums libraries all day long! I can't have it at all.

I am seriously looking forward to those flanges!!! ... (well, actually, user reports)
Old 13th August 2010
  #535
Gear Head
 

happy owner of a pair a7x here

mine work flawless, no port noise...
Old 13th August 2010
  #536
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream View Post
happy owner of a pair a7x here

mine work flawless, no port noise...
I take it you've tried running a sine wave and sweeping it from 40hz upwards at decent volume? You really hear no port noise when doing this?
Old 13th August 2010
  #537
Lives for gear
 
euphoria89's Avatar
 

Just thought i'd add my comments after purchasing some A7X's today:

For the past 3 years, i've been using some Tapco S8's. Bit of a nice upgrade!

Took a reference CD into the store and listened through in an untreated room. First impressions were that they have more than enough bass. After reading about the 'love or hate' comments about the original A7's, i presumed i would be without some nice warmth in the bottom end. However, these pack a mighty good punch, and unless you are really trying to nail those super low frequencies, are more than adaquate for most genres i would say. The option of a sub is also appealing, but not needed at all for me. Compared to the S8, you get so much more accuracy and detail its just surreal. The S8's went lower, but the likelyhood of accuracy would have been awful.

The highs are lovely and not at all harsh or domineering to my ears. They actually sound perfect and represent frequencies nice and smoothly. I was again worried about all the comments about the highs being almost too detailed, but this isnt the case at all. You know straight away if something is too bright in a mix, because it just sounds too bright. You dont even have to re-think about it, its just there, in your ear.

Stereo imaging is lovely. Depth is great. You can hear reverb tails, and all sorts in incredible detail over a wide 3d pallete of vision. Transient response is absolutely fantastic, and definatly makes it obvious when solo'ing what needs compressing, and in what manner.

Best of all, it doesnt sound coloured. To me, it sound so very flat and even. As a result, i dont find them fatiguing at all, even at moderatly loud volumes. They scale perfectly with varying volume levels, and you dont need masses of volume to feel the energy of the music.

That about it for now. With definatly start mixing and remixing some stuff of the next few days and hopefully they will get even better after some usage.

I've no idea what the 'port noise issue' is, but so far i havent heard anything (apart from standing waves) that are different from before.

Maybe i dont have the ear for it, or maybe i'm just too lazy to care, but these speakers are incredible. I love em so much at the minute.
Old 13th August 2010
  #538
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 View Post

I've no idea what the 'port noise issue' is, but so far i havent heard anything (apart from standing waves) that are different from before.

Maybe i dont have the ear for it, or maybe i'm just too lazy to care, but these speakers are incredible. I love em so much at the minute.
Absolutely I cant hear any port noise!
Old 14th August 2010
  #539
Lives for gear
 
entropy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedbear View Post
I take it you've tried running a sine wave and sweeping it from 40hz upwards at decent volume?
Why?

If The Dream and euphoria89 have stated it doesn't affect them for whatever they are doing (obviously not mixing sine waves), then what is the purpose for suggesting it?
Old 14th August 2010
  #540
m:o
Here for the gear
 

As a satisfied A7x owner i was following this thread since a while. Due to the fact that i was never experiencing port noise /rattling /whatever unwanted behavior of these superb speakers i did the test. i can reproduce port noise (port farting) around 50hz with insanely loud sine wave (A7x level meter a quarter open, and hdsp mixer at 0db). the port noise stays for about 15hz upwards. My personal two conclusions:
1. at "normal" volumes up to very loud volumes there is no port noise here. this means that the reason i bought this monitors is totally fulfilled.
2. due to the construction of front ported tubes, there is certain port noise at spec. freq. and volume.fact.

if there are the free adam flanges available. i will of course try it and see if it has an effect on the port noise at insane loud sine waves from 50hz to 65hz.
if it eliminate them - good. if not also good, cause it does not lower my fun i have with these excellent monitors at all.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Madkour / So much gear, so little time
397
Icarus / High end
4
akaie / So much gear, so little time
0
cush / So much gear, so little time
1
oceantracks / High end
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump