The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 30th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
Don't forget that it's vacation time here in Europe. Adam's engineers are probably busy sipping umbrella cocktails right now somewhere close to the Mediterranean.
Yep, you are correct in your assumption. Added to that was Germany's run in the World Cup which may have also contributed heh
Old 30th July 2010
Lives for gear

The noise out of my A8X´s is like a pitched down whistle that fluctuates combined with rattling. It´s strong over a full octave.

Are the A7x´s suffering from this too?
Old 30th July 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU View Post
The noise out of my A8X´s is like a pitched down whistle that fluctuates combined with rattling. It´s strong over a full octave.

Are the A7x´s suffering from this too?

Our reflex tubes as I had to find out are not the optimum in this respect. We have made some tube flanges that avoid the effect and that can be applied to existing speakers. We will offer these parts for free to our customers, but we need a few more weeks to produce them. I will let the forum know the availability as soon as possible.

Klaus
Old 30th July 2010
Qha
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaush1 View Post
Our reflex tubes as I had to find out are not the optimum in this respect. We have made some tube flanges that avoid the effect and that can be applied to existing speakers. We will offer these parts for free to our customers, but we need a few more weeks to produce them. I will let the forum know the availability as soon as possible.

Klaus
Hey coolness! Even though the problem occurs in rare situations (bass frequencies alone), it's glad to see that you take the the matter seriously, reply in this forum and hopefully provide a solution for us. thanks.
Old 30th July 2010
TC5
Lives for gear

Quote:

Klaus
Thats good news. Though it's rather surprising that an issue like that would not have been detected during the design stage or at least prior to release...
Old 30th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Klaus
Are you offering this sollution for the S1X too?
I have them here now instead of the A8X, but beside the fact, that they're excellent and amazingly accurate little speakers they produce even more annoying port noise up to almost 100Hz (A8X were quiet above 70Hz)
The noise is also a lot higher pitched compared to the A8X, probably due to their smaller ports.

Again it starts at very low volumes when very little air is moving through the ports.
I was planning to use them with a sub8, but even then the noises are there, unless the crossover frequency is over 100 Hz. But I'd like to have stereo imaging as low as possible... 1

The problem is that I can only wait for 30 days, otherwise i have to keep them. But if there is no sollution, I do not want to keep them, sorry.
Old 31st July 2010
Here for the gear

ok so I got some answers from ADAM
they told me that they know about the problem but it is not something that occurs through the whole series. There are a lot of people that have contacted ADAM with this problem but apparently it is not a design flaw for all the A-8 Xs.
They simply gave me the contact info for the local distributor to get a replacement so I guess they're doing something...
Old 2nd August 2010
Here for the gear

Hi,

Well today i got my Adam A8X's..... tomorrow they go back!! port noise is a joke, even at low level.
I'm really pissed off about this. They sound great apart from the hidious noise cutting through the mix.
Very disappointed with Adam for letting these out of the factory

Not sure if i'm gonna get the A7X with the sub or just go for KRK VXT8, tomorrow will tell.

DB
Old 2nd August 2010
Lives for gear

Wow, new posters galore!!! This thread must have got Gearslutz like 50 new members!!
Old 2nd August 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
Wow, new posters galore!!! This thread must have got Gearslutz like 50 new members!!

You can thank Adam and Their poor quality A8X's for that. Borrowed my mates KRK Roket 6's and the sounded clean with a deep dance kick drum but the Adams sounded crap. Really bad design fault.......

Find the designer and off with his head!!!
Old 2nd August 2010
Lives for gear

Its really weird because I have not been able to recreate this... we have tested about 3 pairs of each before sales, after this thread we test every speaker in store... but they are workign mint... dunno if there is a bad run? We will contact ADAM directly when we do come across the issue... But glad to see Klaus on here stating he will have a sloution for those with issues for free... that 5 year warranty is great!

We just sold a pair of S2x's, waiting to hear feedback from the customer on the performance...
Old 3rd August 2010
Lives for gear

New model, same Adam curse.

I can't wait any longer. Mine are going back, a friend lent me a pair of Mackies HR824, going to consider A3x or A5x with a sub - not before I am absolutely sure about the combo.

All in all, I stll love these speakers to death and I very very saddened to see them go...
Old 3rd August 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
New model, same Adam curse.

I can't wait any longer. Mine are going back, a friend lent me a pair of Mackies HR824, going to consider A3x or A5x with a sub - not before I am absolutely sure about the combo.

All in all, I stll love these speakers to death and I very very saddened to see them go...

same here, gutted!! gonna check A3X and A5X / A7X sub combo in the morning.
I'll keep you posted.
Old 3rd August 2010
Lives for gear

Please do, I have no ADAM dealers here so I can't demo myself, anxious to hear some reports
Old 3rd August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
Its really weird because I have not been able to recreate this...
Just take any piece of music that has bass, play it through a lowpass filter and turn the cutoff down. If you have any S1X/A7X that don't produce any noises, i'll buy them immediately ... heh
Old 3rd August 2010
Lives for gear

Ok... But I can only sell in NZ...
Old 3rd August 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
Are you offering this sollution for the S1X too?
I have them here now instead of the A8X, but beside the fact, that they're excellent and amazingly accurate little speakers they produce even more annoying port noise up to almost 100Hz (A8X were quiet above 70Hz)
The noise is also a lot higher pitched compared to the A8X, probably due to their smaller ports.

Again it starts at very low volumes when very little air is moving through the ports.
I was planning to use them with a sub8, but even then the noises are there, unless the crossover frequency is over 100 Hz. But I'd like to have stereo imaging as low as possible... 1

The problem is that I can only wait for 30 days, otherwise i have to keep them. But if there is no sollution, I do not want to keep them, sorry.

Yes we will offer this for the S1 through S3X as well, but it will need say 3 months to make toolings and send the parts out. As early in time as possible we will change the AX and SX1-3 to this standard.
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

How will this work? Send in an invoice of proof of purchase?
Old 4th August 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:

Klaus
Very happy to hear about this simple and hopefully effective solution, as I am a S3X user, who, except the port rattling, likes this speaker a lot.
Old 4th August 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC5 View Post
it's rather surprising that an issue like that would not have been detected during the design stage or at least prior to release...
I had the same thought. What makes it even more surprising is that one of the biggest improvement over the older models is supposed to be better bass.
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

Plus, not only one model, but the entire range!
Old 4th August 2010
Gear Addict
Will there also be new port vent for the "older" A7 models?
Old 5th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Great news.

Thanks Klaus and all @ ADAM.

I was in a bit of a dilemna myself. Whether to throw my ADAMs in the bin ........or buy the sub........

Last edited by RonaldDumsfeld; 6th August 2010 at 02:12 AM.. Reason: spl
Old 5th August 2010
Here for the gear

Can we have a definitive list from Adam of which models they plan to produce a fix for please? It's unclear to me from this thread whether it applies to the whole AX range, or just the A7X / A8X. Thanks.
Old 8th August 2010
Lives for gear

Old 9th August 2010
Lives for gear

When Adam releases the updated version how can I tell that I'm buying the new version? Will they be called mk2 or in other ways be identified as being the new version?
Old 9th August 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
When Adam releases the updated version how can I tell that I'm buying the new version? Will they be called mk2 or in other ways be identified as being the new version?
Excellent question. I wondered the same thing. Also, will you be able to visually inspect a speaker and see if it's been updated or not? I prefer to buy used but, if there's no way of telling until you hear the buzz, I'd lean toward buying new. That is if I can ensure that the new one is the updated version. It's great that there's a fix but it's kind of a bummer that there will be a "tainted" first generation floating around.

Maybe the new port will be fluorescent green lol.
Old 9th August 2010
Lives for gear
Do you guys think the update will solve the buzz problem at bass frequencies expenses? There will be slightly less bass presence?
Old 9th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaron View Post
Excellent question. I wondered the same thing. Also, will you be able to visually inspect a speaker and see if it's been updated or not? I prefer to buy used but, if there's no way of telling until you hear the buzz, I'd lean toward buying new. That is if I can ensure that the new one is the updated version. It's great that there's a fix but it's kind of a bummer that there will be a "tainted" first generation floating around.

Maybe the new port will be fluorescent green lol.
In my opinion Adam needs to step up and take care of every speaker that has this issue (port noise) to retain the integrity of their company and the entire AX and SX line.
Old 9th August 2010
Quote:

Klaus
Sorry, just saw this. Awesome!

BTW - I'm getting my A8X's today, and I'll report on whether they have any port noise or not.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search