The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 19th July 2010
Lives for gear
I doubt the video monitor is causing that but, why don't you just swap the two speakers and check if that's the problem?
Old 19th July 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
I doubt the video monitor is causing that but, why don't you just swap the two speakers and check if that's the problem?
I tried man. Nothing change. What I was trying to say is that I was afraid that the video monitors magnetics could have been damaged the monitor, but I´m almost sure that this isn´t the case, cause the other one was at the same distance from the another video monitor (I use 2 video monitors), and it´s ok. I also have used my old monitor on that same distance from that same video monitors for 5 years, and I used this A7x´s for no more than 3 hours that way.

I´ve tried to put a little more treble on the bad one to make a workaround but didn´t help, the bad one have a lot less clarity on the highs and gain don´t help. The two monitors are sounding VERY different one from each other.

For me is very difficult to return the units back to the store in Germany since I´m overseas distant. I don´t have words to describe my frustration now.
Old 19th July 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanjoloco View Post
For me is very difficult to return the units back to the store in Germany since I´m overseas distant. I don´t have words to describe my frustration now.
Im sorry to hear your monitors are giving you headaches.
Did u buy them online from Thomann or something? Ive had gear sent back with no promblems. You just have to email them and then they send you a letter with a pickuporder, call DHL or whosever doing the transport and arrange a pickup. You dont have to pay anything.

// J
Old 19th July 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardic View Post
Im sorry to hear your monitors are giving you headaches.
Did u buy them online from Thomann or something? Ive had gear sent back with no promblems. You just have to email them and then they send you a letter with a pickuporder, call DHL or whosever doing the transport and arrange a pickup. You dont have to pay anything.

// J
Thanx man I´ll check it. I´ve actually bought the trio with sub8 online in a Germany store ( musik-schmidt ) to ship to Holland, and a friend of mine brought to Brazil. Hopefully they will allow me to do it directly from Brazil. The worst thing is I have so much work to do and it takes so many time.

In the manual they say that the monitors will take a break-in time to achieve optimum sonic performance. I wonder if this can have anything to do with it, but again I don´t think so cause is a big difference from one to another.
Old 19th July 2010
Gear Head

I may be speaking out of line before ADAM really gets a hold on this stuff and replies to us (their major customers) but this is really a crock of S*&%.

I have been following this thread from day one and it most definitely isn't getting ANY better AT ALL.

I'm assuming that the reason for ADAM's lack of responses is due to the attempt to sort out the problem....or maybe they don't give a sh*&.

Does anyone have any useful updates or responses from ADAM reps that point in a positive direction??

Or is this an issue that is just unfortunate and something we will have to deal with if we choose to buy this particular line of speakers...

Its been many weeks of many others voicing issues with these speakers and we still have yet to find a suitable solution...

Lets step up our game faces ADAM and help those that work hard to invest money in your product.

Coffee just finished.....I'm out.
Old 19th July 2010
Lives for gear

Not at all !! (But I do think someone from ADAM should come in quick for work-in-progress report, to calm us down!!!)

This is from one in particular who probably bitched the most!

You see, happy and satisfied customer DONT go rambling in forums about how worderful and dandy their life is... probably the odd review, but they get on to something else.

Obviously, here is the place people interact to stress out "hey, I got this problem, anyone else" ? And very quickly it becomes a bitch-fest.
It is a handfull of people here with problems, divide by the number of sales and the percentage must be ridiculously small.
Add that to people who don't know what they are saying, worse even. (for example, bitching about port noise while driving the monitors loud)

For a company like ADAM to come in places like this and speak out... that is equal to official statements on a website (almost) so every word must be carefully chosen. I for one am crippled by my issues, for one particular task I am involved in, but for the vast majority, I am very very happy with the price vs awesomeness of these speakers. I will certainly continue with ADAM, just don't know if A7x or A3x+sub.

Have you any clue how middle-men involved in transport treat heavy squared boxes, even with "fragile" signs? I do and its hilarious!

That is why warranties exist.
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

Great Postthumbsup
Old 20th July 2010
Here for the gear

A5X

I just must give a comment, I bought a pair of Adam A5X two weeks ago. And man they sound great. And yes I also have some port noise, somewhere below 50 kHz. You can only here it if there is a really low kick or synth.

But hey , I don´t care because the speakers sound so brilliant and they are what 5,5" ? and the a7x is 7,5" (correct me if I'm wrong). And you can´t go much lower, with power, using so small speakers. That´s what main monitors is used for. If I some day want to get rid of the port noise, why don´t by a sub ?

By the way, has anyone tried and compered the sub7 with the sub8 ?
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

Don't forget that it's vacation time here in Europe. Adam's engineers are probably busy sipping umbrella cocktails right now somewhere close to the Mediterranean.
Old 20th July 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
Don't forget that it's vacation time here in Europe. Adam's engineers are probably busy sipping umbrella cocktails right now somewhere close to the Mediterranean.
haha yeah, could be heh
Old 21st July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspberryberet View Post
and the a7x is 7,5" (correct me if I'm wrong).
?
Same as Adam A7 - a 6.5" woofer...just a bigger voice coil -> 1.5" inches.
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graal View Post
Same as Adam A7 - a 6.5" woofer...just a bigger voice coil -> 1.5" inches.
Adams website says 7" not 6.5".
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Klaus has been on here and explained they state manufactureres specs which account for inner housing, its actually 6.5"
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
Klaus has been on here and explained they state manufactureres specs which account for inner housing, its actually 6.5"
Wow! And yet they go much lower.
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear

go much lower than what sorry? I think I stepped in half way through this convo
Old 23rd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
go much lower than what sorry? I think I stepped in half way through this convo
What do you mean when you say convo? And what's with the eyes?

Anyway, i meant the A7X go much lower than the previous A7 as in more bass? Did you have a chance to compare?
Old 23rd July 2010
Lives for gear

oh I get ya

I have done comparisons... I felt the newer models are ever so slightly more open, the bass extension I would put down to the dual ports rather than the woofer... plus extra power.

convo is conversation, and I think the eyes might be "my bad" or "shy" or "sad face? dunno really
Old 23rd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
oh I get ya

I have done comparisons... I felt the newer models are ever so slightly more open, the bass extension I would put down to the dual ports rather than the woofer... plus extra power.

convo is conversation, and I think the eyes might be "my bad" or "shy" or "sad face? dunno really
hehe!

The speaker itself is bigger too. Although not that much bigger. I wonder if the amplifier itself could have something to do with it. Aside for the extra power. I don't how much a second port can have to be honest. All i know is the difference was like night and day.
Old 25th July 2010
Lives for gear

heard the new models mono in a shop. Compared to other speakers, the mids were not well represented. too much bass, too much hights. Might be the room acoustics, but in a line of many speakers they were not that great (A7x, A8x).

I would say I like the old model better! Where are the lower mids?
Old 25th July 2010
Lives for gear

I´m sending my A8X back! Beautiful sound but totally useless due to massive port noise on both speakers ranging over a full octave!!! And it´s loud too, it cuts right through a busy mix.

I´m swithching to A7´s (Adam A7X studio monitor review part two | DV247s Musical Notes) and HS80´s.

How could they let these out of the factory???????
Old 27th July 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
Speaking of ADAM...

Any word yet guys !?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
Speaking of ADAM...

Any word yet guys !?
Hello there,

after going through the thread I have the impression that different single problems and some limitations inherent in the product carry the same name.

If there is rattling, or if you can influence the distorting noise by pressing the rubber, you probably have a defective woofer. It can happen that a small loose particle within the voice coil gap is causing the trouble. We measure distortion for every speaker and would detectit in the factory, yet it can happen later on. In these cases we ask you to turn to your dealer to get a new woofer for free.

It can happen we found that the wool behind the tube has moved and is fluttering with the frequency of a deep tone at the end of the tube. If you remove the wool from there - admittedly after taking the woofer out - things might change.

Port noise is a fundamental problem in bass reflex designs, and increases if you, at a given volume, try to get a low cut off frequency. When we released the AX series we felt - and feel - happy with the bass performance we achieved with these new models. We did not encounter noisy stuations during the listening tests inside and outside of the lab, but I understand that with sine tones and special signals in modern music the maximum distortionfree SPL is critically low. We have started to look for a better compromise, but we need some more weeks to build additional pats and to be sure about the solution, and furthermore to make it applicable for everybody. I will come up with the result as soon as we have it.

I want to add the message that we have shipped many thousand AX speakers during the last months and at least until now the number of complaints is limited to a few cases only. The issues are recognised as mentioned above, but it is no general flaw for the users either.

greetings

Klaus
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

Well,

I have some KRKs and Genelecs and there is no port noise. The KRKs V8MK2 have a strip port, not a round port, and never show this. The 8050s have a rear port, but its so big and especially designed, seems to prevent this.
Old 27th July 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post
Well,

I have some KRKs and Genelecs and there is no port noise. The KRKs V8MK2 have a strip port, not a round port, and never show this. The 8050s have a rear port, but its so big and especially designed, seems to prevent this.

__

In my experience there is no no noise port, it is always a question of which level at which frequency, especially with sine waves. The KRK V8 is a good construction insofar, no question, but the bigger the tube (and the less noise) the more critical the midrange gets in my opinion, as the bigger tubes add more and more out of phase midrange to the sound. So these things depend on each other, and most important: the proof is in the listening. A good bass transient reproduction from my experience is in conflict with larger tubes and with rear ports, not to forget the -3dB point you have in mind. An A8X plays definetively lower than the KRK V8, thus provoquing more noise problems as it moves much more air. So the comparison might be the 99% of music that sound tighter compared to the lower noise free level that can be produced.

Still: we work on something and will keep you posted here.

greetings

Klaus
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

Klaus, can you give us any technical data about the level at which port noise is normal on an a7x?

For example, I carried out a test on an a7x I own. I used a sound meter at 30cm from a speaker. I played a sine wave at 57hz and began to increase the volume. I began to hear fluttery buzzy port noise at -58db on my meter. Is this normal?

Thanks
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

Ditto!

I didnt take a measurement, by my samples posted back there are self evident !!
Old 28th July 2010
Here for the gear

Adam-Audio should propose worldwide recall to help those who got trapped with rattling AX or SX series.
And for others measure twice and cut once b4 u commit to any Adam monitors.

I tested about month ago Dynas Bm15A, Genelec 8050, Adam S3H-X and Focal Twin6Be all with A1 55 Hz tone and only left Adam S3H-X was rattling.

Old 28th July 2010
Lives for gear

What only left was rattling?
Old 28th July 2010
Here for the gear

Objective here was to get a new monitors.
One that rattled was scratched off the list as pair.
To keep it simple.
Lot of folks here didn't have that
privilege to try before buy and therefore Adam-Audio
should step in and help.

Old 28th July 2010
Here for the gear

Direct from Berlin and perhaps a little relief for some .
Received: 26July10

Dear DPile,

the A7X has some port noise in the lows at higher levels. Sometimes it sounds like rattling but is not.
Please try to find out whether the noise is mechanical vibration or air-flow noise at the port.
For the port noise we're currently searching for a technical solution to improve.
Please just ask for this solution in few weeks.

Best regards
Sascha Reckert (R&D)

ADAM Audio GmbH

Ederstr. 16
12059 Berlin
Germany

www.adam-audio.com
+49 30 86300970 (fon)
+49 30 86300979 (fax)

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin
HRB 72092, Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg
Ust-IDNr. DE812780213
Steuer-Nr. 29/505/03951
Geschäftsführer/CEO: Klaus Heinz

Old 30th July 2010
TC5
Lives for gear

After further testing on my A7Xs I get port noise / rattle similar to the files posted over about an octave range with a solo bass playing at moderate volume. Noise seems loudest at C2 / 65 Hz. Bollocks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search