The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 25th June 2010
Gear Head

Hi guys first post here. evosilica sorry to hear your problems.I was about to order some new adam a7x from thomann but after reading some negative posts in this forum about the new monitors i decided to wait.I was wondering if the guy from thomann is interested to read this topic and then give you an answer.That's no way to treat to a customer.Also have you try to speak with adam support?Maybe i should oder the focal
Old 25th June 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
Thanks, i already have a 6dB/Oct HPF and a 6dB/Oct LPF and i use them in many tracks and i even know how and when to use them and that's not the reason why my speakers rattle and whyTF do i even reply to this anymore
But You have A8X ... right?

I have A7X, no filters, and no rattle.
Old 25th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrikos View Post
Hi guys first post here. evosilica sorry to hear your problems.I was about to order some new adam a7x from thomann but after reading some negative posts in this forum about the new monitors i decided to wait.I was wondering if the guy from thomann is interested to read this topic and then give you an answer.That's no way to treat to a customer.Also have you try to speak with adam support?Maybe i should oder the focal
i don't see a problem the way thomann is treating me. I can send them back and get my money back. But I'd like to know adams opinion on this. Is this part of their bass reflex design or are my units faulty? Somehow the number of people owning rattle-adams seems a little bit high. I'll call them next week.

Nevertheless I'm stupid enough to "solve" the problem with smaller adams + sub. i just like their open dry sound. heh

@Kyle_PL Yes, A8X.
Old 25th June 2010
Here for the gear

Yes, I think it is time Adam post something in this tread. I really want to buy a pair of A7X or A8X but what I´m reading here is making me to look somewhere else.
Old 25th June 2010
Lives for gear

Wow first post! welcome, wow these adams have made a few people join the forum to get answers, has someone alerted Klaus to this thread, now that it has had some hits again...

Id still say try them out, you could take the words of some GSer's or just try them out and find out for yourself... you might even find that you dont like the ADAM sound!
Old 26th June 2010
Lives for gear

No rattle on the A7X...
Highs are not what they used to be on the A7s ...much much sweeter on the A7X - an overall balanced sound with a lot of detail.
Old 27th June 2010
Gear Head

no rattle, no port noise here...

I own the A7X since 8 weeks, now, and I am very, very happy with them.

future_former
Old 28th June 2010
Gear Head

evosilica maybe you should post that wav file so the owners of adam a7x or a8x test their monitors.Maybe you have faulty units.I'm realy curious what adam has to say?
Old 28th June 2010
There has been Zero Port Noise from the A3X here. The ports themselves look like they are injection molded, and do have screws fastening them to the enclosure. I also haven't heard any noise from our S3X-H's, but I would surely suspect port noise on any speaker with incorrect gain staging in the monitor path.
Old 29th June 2010
Lives for gear

@Astrikos: it's just a slow sine sweep starting from 20Hz. I did not save it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
I would surely suspect port noise on any speaker with incorrect gain staging in the monitor path.
Could you please explain how incorrect gain staiging can have an influence on port noise. I don't get it
Old 29th June 2010
Quote:
@Astrikos: it's just a slow sine sweep starting from 20Hz. I did not save it.

btw. i have sent them back yesterday. hopefully i can decide between A7X or S1X + Sub8 in both cases and then order next week.

Could you please explain how incorrect gain staiging can have an influence on port noise. I don't get it
You are sending to much gain into them.
Old 29th June 2010
Gear Head

Quote:

word
Old 29th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, so you think i must be confusing clipping with port noise? Not the case. I know what clipping sounds like (totally different) and harmonics due to clipping/overdive an amplifier or speaker do not suddenly dissapear above 68Hz. And my RP6, using the exact same path, sound totally clean. Believe me, I am not the one to blame
Old 29th June 2010
Quote:
Ok, so you think i must be confusing clipping with port noise? Not the case. I know what clipping sounds like (totally different) and harmonics due to clipping/overdive an amplifier or speaker do not suddenly dissapear above 68Hz. And my RP6, using the exact same path, sound totally clean. Believe me, I am not the one to blame
I am not confused of the difference between port noise and amplifier/speaker clipping distortion. The thing of it is; I have no clue about your system and I simply "took at stab", at helping; though I must confess, I haven't read your posts entirely to even make an educated guess. That one was based off my experience and Speakers with Bass Ports on them. Perhaps your speakers are defective, [I dunno, I haven't heard them in your room], and if this is the case then I would strongly urge you to contact the dealer you made the purchase with in efforts to remedy the issue quickly and swiftly, as there is no possible way to rectify and/or identify any problematic and/or systemic issue through the forum.
Old 1st July 2010
Lives for gear

I heard from dealer that A7X use same tweeeters which are used on S3X and S2X, eventhough it looks different from outside, they have same coil. A5X and A3X use slightly less coil.
Did anyone noticed the difference on highs between A7X and A5X?
Old 1st July 2010
Lives for gear

I went to the store and compared A7, A7X, A5X, A3X, and cms50.
A7X had lot more low end than A7. A5X had almost the same amount of lows with A7. A7X had effort-less flatter lows than A5X that gives you more definition on lows.
CMS50 was totally different animal, it had less lows than A5X and I didn't like the charactors of CMS50.

A7X also had different kind of mids and highs than A7. I didn't own A7 so I'm not certain but it doesn't sounds like it has too much high mid to bring the vocals upfront. Because they have new X-art tweeters, it might be a totally different animal now.

I bought A5X and so far I love them because it has much more lows and definitions than the previous monitor I owned and high end is smoother than I thought it will be.

When NS-10 studio came out, some people prefered the original NS-10. I feel there are going to be a debate between the new AX series and the original series.

If you are Adam lover, I suggest you to check'm out.
Old 2nd July 2010
Lives for gear

ADAM AUDIO STAFF. GO JOIN THE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 5th July 2010
Here for the gear

Statement by ADAM Audio

Hello all,

This is Christian from ADAM Audio. Since there seems to be an issue with some AX models and some of you were asking ADAM to get involved, allow me to say the following.

There are two different points you are (mainly) talking about: 1. port noise, and 2. “rattling”.

As for the first point, this is something that can happen with bass reflex designs of certain dimensions at certain frequencies & SPLs. I will rewrite the entry in our FAQs and explain this in more detail, soon.

As for the second point, after some tests we are currently unable to retrace the “rattling” problem in either the A7X or the A8X. So it does seem to be a problem of a few individual speakers and not the Series as a whole. This is being supported the vast majority of people telling us they did not experience this problem at all.
However, this is something that shouldn’t be happening, even if this concerns only a few cases. ADAM prides itself to be a manufacturer of top-class products and we do take these problems very serious. Be assured that we are trying very hard to exactly identify the problem and to come up with a fast solution.

Since the speakers we have checked don’t show the problem, I would like to ask everyone experiencing this “rattling” to send us audio files (or post them here) so that we can hear the “rattling” and tell what causes it. If you are unable to send us audio files, please send us descriptions of the problem in as much detail as possible. If we can’t find the reason for the problem this way, we will offer you to send in the faulty speaker and either fix it or replace the unit(s). Needless to say that this would be free of charge.
Please do make sure that what you hear is a “rattling” caused by faulty mechanics (and not port noise, etc.) before you consider sending us either the audio file. Also, before you send in the speaker, you need to contact our support team first.

The best way to reach us would be via email: #[email protected]#.

Please accept my sincere apologies to all those experiencing this problem. The reactions we’ve got to the new products are overwhelmingly enthusiastic and we will do everything we can to make sure you will feel the same way.

Best regards,

Christian
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear
Hey Christian,

Out of subject but some people are wondering, how long will adam provide parts for the previous A and P series?
Old 5th July 2010
Here for the gear

Parts for A- and P-Series

@cooker

Hi there,

We will provide parts for the A- and P-Series for at least 10 years.

Best regards,
Christian
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAMs_apple View Post
@cooker

Hi there,

We will provide parts for the A- and P-Series for at least 10 years.

Best regards,
Christian
What a relief, thanks
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

Hello Christian,

thank you for joining this thread. I have already posted sound examples of A8X here:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5476302-post231.html

So, in your opinion, is this mechanical rattling or port noise?

The thomann guy said, this can't be fixed, it's "normal". That's why i sent them back.
Strangely enough both my A8X behaved exactly the same way.
And a friend of mine who owns P11A reported about the same noises, when using them w/o sub. Also both behave the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAMs_apple
So it does seem to be a problem of a few individual speakers.
I hope, you can understand, why i am a bit sceptical about your statement.
Still, you haven't lost me as a customer. I'm getting a sub

best regards.
Old 5th July 2010
Here for the gear

Hi guys! Back from vacation and the studio. Heres a snippet of the kick that makes my bassport go bananas, even on fairly low levels! I returned my a7x today and aiming for some Sonodyne SM100AK instead.

U a7x guys can listen and see if if makes your ports go "frr, frr".

Its a 909 kick thru the mpressor plugin. Nothing more. They made the noise even without the compressor, but not as clear.

All controls set to 0 on the monitors.

// Johan
Attached Files

portnoise.mp3 (606.0 KB, 847 views)

Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

Ideas. Why not put a mic in front of your speakers, careful not to let port wind hit it, maybe at an angle, but able to pick up the port noise. Then put MP3s of it up, everyone who has this problem, on specific parts that it happens on. Then maybe share the MP3 which causes the noise with others who have the same model, who don't notice the problem. Being sure playback is done flat, with similar switch settings regarding the low end response of your monitors. Preferably no cuts, no HPF. These could be very revealing. I have a port-noise free pair of Dynaudios so I can't participate in that test. But I would if I could.
Old 5th July 2010
Here for the gear

It has been done. Check out evosilicas post here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D. View Post
Ideas. Why not put a mic in front of your speakers, careful not to let port wind hit it, maybe at an angle, but able to pick up the port noise. Then put MP3s of it up, everyone who has this problem, on specific parts that it happens on. Then maybe share the MP3 which causes the noise with others who have the same model, who don't notice the problem. Being sure playback is done flat, with similar switch settings regarding the low end response of your monitors. Preferably no cuts, no HPF. These could be very revealing. I have a port-noise free pair of Dynaudios so I can't participate in that test. But I would if I could.
Old 6th July 2010
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardic View Post
Hi guys! Back from vacation and the studio. Heres a snippet of the kick that makes my bassport go bananas, even on fairly low levels! I returned my a7x today and aiming for some Sonodyne SM100AK instead.

Its a 909 kick thru the mpressor plugin. Nothing more. They made the noise even without the compressor, but not as clear.

// Johan
I was myself about to buy the A7X until i found this thread. Im on a limited bugdet and only making electronic music (techno). Now im also thinking of getting the SM100AK. Please keep me updated on your experiece with them because my guess is you havent been able to try them either since to my knowledge they cant be found here in sweden.
Old 6th July 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis.b View Post
Please keep me updated on your experiece with them because my guess is you havent been able to try them either since to my knowledge they cant be found here in sweden.
Will do sir!

// J
Old 6th July 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAMs_apple View Post
There are two different points you are (mainly) talking about: 1. port noise, and 2. “rattling”.

As for the first point, this is something that can happen with bass reflex designs of certain dimensions at certain frequencies & SPLs. I will rewrite the entry in our FAQs and explain this in more detail, soon.
Hello Christian, and thanks for taking the time to post here.

I haven't ever heard about this port noise issue before with any other brand of speakers other than Adam. It seems to have come up even with your older models. Can you tell us another brand/model of speaker that does this?
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardic View Post

// Johan
Can you record the sound you hear? I just got some a7x and played this sample but don't hear a frr frr
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

Could these 'port noises' be analogue overs? I know that even if digital overs are under control that intersample peaks (analogue overs) can cause distortions.

Just trying to be helpful here... no insults intended.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search