The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 16th June 2010
Here for the gear

Recently tested Adam S3X-H but no luck . A1 55-56 Hz sweep woke up
rattle snake in the left monitor. It seems both, high and low end
Adams suffer the same rattling symptoms.

Old 16th June 2010
Gear Maniac

Goddamnit, they need to fix this, if it means closing up the ports or whatever. I guess I'll listen to them, but I'll have to pass if that's an issue. The tweeter sounds so good, it's such a shame. At least there are other promising options in that price range.
Old 16th June 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sho Geist View Post
Goddamnit, they need to fix this, if it means closing up the ports or whatever.
ATC SCM25A as I read the website offers a port bung and I don't remember any one complaining about it. As long as ADAM provides info on what will change in detail that shouldn't be a problem.

Adam should give options for their customers, for example they can also provide a woofer protection (shield? :P like with genelec 8000 series) so carrying them around when needed won't become a nightmare.
Old 16th June 2010
Lives for gear

If Adam has low end rattle problem, there are lot others are probably worse out there. I'm curious to hear from mastering engineer if there are some tricks to avoid rattle.
Old 19th June 2010
Lives for gear

Daimn, i heard the ax7 in the store today, sounds great
i really like the focus and stereo image. The low seems honest and revealing but not flattering. My first urge was to buy them, but this thread kept nagging in my mind. So i decided to wait, after returning to this topic, i totally discouraged in buying them.
Old 19th June 2010
Lives for gear

Hi GuyS, DPile, I sell ADAM's in NZ, I have done many sweeps on the S3X and the lower ones never rattle, I did some sweeps after I saw your post in the A7 thread especially in the area you say and still did not notice anything out of the ordinary. Can I please ask what SPL's you were monitoring at? cranked or not too painful!
Old 19th June 2010
Gear Maniac

How about on the A7X and A8X? Those are the ones in question from this thread.
Old 19th June 2010
Lives for gear

Oh I just saw he had S3X in his pic, Ummm we still waiting on an order but I will report back, right now I have only heard the S3x's and a magazine did a review on them where they came out first equal in their tests alongside a JBL offering. They sound wicked, 5 s3x plus a sub8 is my next purchase, I have a tiny room so Im pretty excited.

We are expecting the A7x's and A8x's this week so Ill report back with my analysis.

Cheers,

Suda
Old 19th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
Try to listen through a bassdrum sample library => pain in the arse
I can imagine, I had this with the A7's...the extended bass on the A7X's stopped this for me.

Nothing worse than hearing a rattle when going through bass drums...

Was one of the first to get them on this thread and one of the first in the UK and still loving them.

You can get port noise with pure bass, but that would mean your bass and top end is so unbalanced its a good indicator to tone it back!

You can hear everything down there without a sub (infact ive not turned my sub on since I got them)

and I make the most bass heavy music in this thread, dub step, drum and bass and various hip-hop esque bass driven downtempo tracks...im a huge bass head even the pop stuff I do is very very bass driven and pushed to the max.

Its safe to say if the ports are really blasting you and you can't hear the bass, either your rooms bad or your ears are - but its an easy indicator to balance it out!
Old 19th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
Can I please ask what SPL's you were monitoring at? cranked or not too painful!
I don't have a meter, but it's not loud. The speaker is capable to play 4times as loud.

Quote:
You can get port noise with pure bass, but that would mean your bass and top end is so unbalanced its a good indicator to tone it back!
That's true somehow. I've used the speaker with closed ports the last few days and compensated the loss in bass by turning it up a little on the back of the speaker. Works pretty good, no rattling. But the speaker has to work a lot more to produce the same spl. And therefore it's easy to overdrive the speaker when you check your mixes loud (yes i mean loud in this case).
Somehow i don't like the idea of sticking cheap and ugly looking foam into a 600€ speaker.

Quote:
Its safe to say if the ports are really blasting you and you can't hear the bass, either your rooms bad or your ears are - but its an easy indicator to balance it out!
I don't know why everybody thinks it's my fault and i must be blasting the sh!t out of my ears. i've said it more than once that i monitor very quiet. I can hear the bass very good and my room is not that bad. nevertheless most electronic kickdrums on MY A8X rattle, even at low volumes. Maybe they all differ and i got the most sh!tty ones of all. i don't know. all i know is i'll send them back on monday. i'm thinking about something smaller + sub, maybe S1X.
Old 19th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't have a meter, but it's not loud. The speaker is capable to play 4times as loud.
Cheersthumbsup
Old 21st June 2010
Here for the gear

Hi AX owners, any reports on the fatigue factor with the AX series?

I love my A5's but I have to rest my ears after a couple hours with them.
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

I recently bought the ax7's. Extremely detailed but:
- Yeah they are fatiguing,
- I even get headaches and dizziness from those speakers.

Now i have to get a 2nd pair to rest my ears while working otherwise ill never be able to make long productive sessions.
Old 21st June 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizeh12 View Post
I recently bought the ax7's. Extremely detailed but:
- Yeah they are fatiguing,
- I even get headaches and dizziness from those speakers.

Now i have to get a 2nd pair to rest my ears while working otherwise ill never be able to make long productive sessions.
Wow I had the impression that ribbon tweeters were more forgiving.
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

how loud do you monitor? and how about breaks? ... just to make sure its the monitor...
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

The monitors work quite well on low levels so i don't use them at too loud levels.

I work for long stretches on compositions and working out ideas.
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

Not fatiguing at all. Just be sure you're not too loud. And make breaks every now and then.
Old 21st June 2010
Here for the gear

Bought A7x today, returning them tomorrow.. what a load of poo! The bassportnoise is LOUD even at low volumes on kicksounds and stuff. A regular 909 kick made the bassport make almost a louder noise then the kick itself!! Really, really disapointed! dfegad
Old 21st June 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardic View Post
Bought A7x today, returning them tomorrow.. what a load of poo! The bassportnoise is LOUD even at low volumes on kicksounds and stuff. A regular 909 kick made the bassport make almost a louder noise then the kick itself!! Really, really disapointed! dfegad
I never had a problem with bass on my A7s took a while to burn in.. but then i just thought the bass was balanced not weak. Really dont know how people cant make bassy mixes on these speakers! mine always translates very well with these.

I make quite bassy deephouse.. and have had good things said about the bass(clean,clear..) in my tracks from friends
I was going to get the AX7S but i guess mine are fine if it aint broke... Ive never had the port noise except at ridiculous levels! and my room is treated pretty well so that helps..

Really sucks for the people with this port problem, hope adam fixes this somehow...
Old 22nd June 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That sounds horrible. With such an amazing tweeter, why can't they get the low frequencies right? I don't understand it.
Old 23rd June 2010
Gear Addict

I can't "generate" portnoise on my A7X ... somebody have some audio sample, where this portnoise is revealing?
Old 23rd June 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_PL View Post
I can't "generate" portnoise on my A7X ... somebody have some audio sample, where this portnoise is revealing?
A clean 909 kick did it for my monitors. Can u produce one of those and listen! Im not in the studio for a week now so cant bounce one.

// J
Old 24th June 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
A clean 909 kick did it for my monitors. Can u produce one of those and listen! Im not in the studio for a week now so cant bounce one.

// J
I test with:

freesound :: view sample :: 909 kick.wav

and i don't hear some noise.
Old 24th June 2010
Lives for gear

Tried it here, my A7x are as clean as a whistle.

I've used them for a week, and my mixes are improved immensely. I even surprised myself with a mix that turned out awesome sounding on a hifi-set and car kit.

It seems like i make better choices very early in the process so in the end i don't have to do much in the mixing phase.
Its like i pick the right samples, edit the right parameters in the beginning.
I'm a happy man now with the Adams.
Old 24th June 2010
Here for the gear

Strange. When I get back from vacation Ill post a sample of the kick that makes my bassport go nuts, even on low volumes. Maybe I had the mpressor on it, I might have been remember my settings wrong. Ill try to record the portnoise to.
Can it have to do with the room acoustics or something? My room is not very well bass treated, but still, it shouldnt make the port go bananas?

// J
Old 25th June 2010
Lives for gear

Hi there,

I have tried many sweeps across our range and nothing weird to report, in fact all of the models in the Ax range sound kick ass (have not been able to try the A5x), I am really enjoying the A3x, I am seriously wishing they had put some way of attaching a screen to the front of the speaker so portability wouldnt be a concern though...

I have no idea why you would be experiencing this abundant noise but I would contact ADAM and get them to get you a replacement, unless you have bought a new set already. (I couldnt stand exessive port noise esp at lower volumes)

Best of luck.
Old 25th June 2010
Lives for gear

Strange ...

I called thomann this week (i bought them there) , if the port noise could be fixed. They said the port noise on adams is well known and there's nothing you can do against it than highpassing them and using a sub.
"That's something you have to live with when using adam" is what he said. Cool.

So why do some people here report their adams are "clean as a whistle" ?
What kind of stuff do you produce on them?
Old 25th June 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Strange ...

I called thomann this week (i bought them there) , if the port noise could be fixed. They said the port noise on adams is well known and there's nothing you can do against it than highpassing them and using a sub.
"That's something you have to live with when using adam" is what he said. Cool.

So why do some people here report their adams are "clean as a whistle" ?
What kind of stuff do you produce on them?
I highly recommend Brainworx Cleansweep! You can download it free from there site.. very very good to take out the unwanted frequency, and usually results in cleaner bass! on the kicks and whatever.. use it as a first plug in your chain. it might help.. i love it.
Old 25th June 2010
Lives for gear

That sucks, I must have not been selling them long enough to notice a trend, well enough to make a remark like that anyway, till now the only issue we have had is a power led not working... I know 3 top ten (in NZ) artists using A7s and one of them has S2x with sub 8, one of them does reggae, the other 2 are DJ's one hip hop and the other some weird cheesy pop stuff... no complaints from them.... I do metal, folk hippy ppl, auditorium live stuff pretty much will work for food at this point so my comments might not hold so much weight.
Old 25th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrintact View Post
I highly recommend Brainworx Cleansweep! You can download it free from there site.. very very good to take out the unwanted frequency, and usually results in cleaner bass! on the kicks and whatever.. use it as a first plug in your chain. it might help.. i love it.
Thanks, i already have a 6dB/Oct HPF and a 6dB/Oct LPF and i use them in many tracks and i even know how and when to use them and that's not the reason why my speakers rattle and whyTF do i even reply to this anymore

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search