The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gefell um70 vs m70 for overheads Condenser Microphones
Old 16th March 2010
Here for the gear

Gefell um70 vs m70 for overheads

I´ve got a Gefell mv692/um70. I´m considering buying a mv692 with the m70 capsule, and then get another m70 capsule to use with the other mv692 body, and use these for drum overheads, or if I should get another body and a um70.

Anybody got any thoughts about the um70 vs the m70 for overheads?

The um70 capsule is more expensive, but since I´ve allready got one, that might be about the same as buying two m70 capsules, I guess.

But having the m70 might be good for other things aswell?

I´ve also been considering getting a pair of the Oktavamod MK-012. How are the Gefells as overheads compared to the Oktava?

P.S: This is my first post here. Been lurking for a long time and have learned alot. Hope I posted this in the right category
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

UM70's are my go to for overheads and kick. I could use 1/2 dozen of those things. I like the m70 on snare as long as the drummer doesn't hit to hard.
Old 17th March 2010
Here for the gear

Ok, that sounds promising. So that´s one vote for the UM70 then.

Have you tried the m70 for OH?

How would you describe the sound of the um70 as OH?
Do you have any samples of songs where you´ve used the um70?

Thanks heh
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

Most of your answer about the UM70 there......

Drum Mic Madness!!!!
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

I have not tried both. I do think my older UM70 is amazing on OH's though. You certainly can't go wrong with it. I'd like another

Russell
Old 17th March 2010
These microphones kick @#$%$^ tail on overs. But, there really isn't anything that they don't kick @#$%^ tail on. Thankfully MTG has re introduced production on the UM70S/MV692, which has us Mercenary guys screaming like little school girls, since we love them, find them secret weapons, and feel that they offer something really special.
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

It is great they've been reissued for a time, may keep the vintage prices down for now..

On the other hand the new price is almost 2x the used market price right now so it could have the opposite effect.

Russell
Old 17th March 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post

Drum Mic Madness!!!!
Yeah I´ve looked at that thread a few times. There´s so much there that it´s a little overwhelming, but I guess I´ll give it another go.

I can only see the um70 used for kick there. Is that right? But I see the m71s for OH, and they are pretty similar?
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

Player1

Agreed! UM70's are my go to for overheads! Really nice on cymbals any big enough on the whole kit to add an overall big drum sound. My first experience with these were in 1992, I set them up as overheads with a kick and snare mic and I was very impressed with the drum recording, and still like the recording to this day.
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufte View Post
Yeah I´ve looked at that thread a few times. There´s so much there that it´s a little overwhelming, but I guess I´ll give it another go.

I can only see the um70 used for kick there. Is that right? But I see the m71s for OH, and they are pretty similar?
The M71 is the cardioid only version of the UM70.
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

M70s tend to be a bit coloured and pronounced in the hi-mids (in a very pleasing way) which makes them my fist choice for snare bottom, ride or hihat when I want it to cut through.
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

Gefell UM70 and M70 are my "not so secret" weapons, since I tell everyone about them and use them both in minimal micing scenarios on drums (front mic - UM70, over the snare mic - M70) as OHs, as percussion mics, as acoustic guitar "duo" - sometimes in M/S, but lately mostly M70 at "12th fret" position and UM70 on the body, as piano duo - M70 on high strings, UM70 on bass strings, UM70 is THE vocal mic I mostly use, M70 is very nice on percussion, UM70 even better on some percussion (it is my main percussion OH in a combination with different dynamic mics)...
These mics are THE **** (as in "VERY good, the real "no bull****" mic thing")! Get both and then some more.
Old 17th March 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks everyone. Seems I´ll be saving up for another um70.
Maybe I can use the one I´ve got as a mono OH until I get one more? I´ll try and see how that works. I´ve got a couple of FatHeads, maybe I can use them as stereo room mics to get some stereo imaging...

I´m the drummer btw. So I´m practicing recording myself
Old 17th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post

Drum Mic Madness!!!!

Ha! You beat me to it bigbone! heh

Also, I used the M70 SDC on various sources. OH and Snare and HH most notably.

As far as MY preference, the M71 or UM70 in spaced pairs on OH's.

And I'm with Swafford - UM70 on kick in fig8 =
Old 17th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
You are technically correct. The M71S is essentially a cardiod only UM70. Of note is that all the Gefell's on that shootout are the older transformer versions. Not the newer "T" (transformerless) versions, which are great as well, but different.
Old 17th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ok, that sounds promising. So that´s one vote for the UM70 then.

Have you tried the m70 for OH?

How would you describe the sound of the um70 as OH?
Do you have any samples of songs where you´ve used the um70?

Thanks heh
Sorry for all the multiple posts, but.....

Go deeper into the thread where Craig (the drummer) picks his favorites. He chose the M70/692 combo for OH's as his fav. Personally, I like the M71 LDC's in spaced pair. But either way, I'd have to agree with Roc Mixwell :

"These microphones kick @#$%$^ tail on overs" heh heh thumbsup
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

UM70 on kick - where - on the beater side or just instead of something like RE20 or D12 in the same position those mics would be?

To OP - you might try a M70 - those capsules can be had fairly cheap - it is nice to have more colours - it is a bit different than UM70, but very compatible... I really, really like it on acoustic guitar (in combination with UM70..)

Here is one shoot out between three SDCs, one of them being M70: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/4814854-post1.html
Old 17th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
UM70 on kick - where - on the beater side or just instead of something like RE20 or D12 in the same position those mics would be?
There's pics on the drum mic madness thread that will show you exactly where I put them.
Old 17th March 2010
Here for the gear

Been spending some time comparing the different mics at the drum mic madness thread.

I think both the m71 and the m70 sound very nice. My impression is that the m71 is brighter and has more presence? The m70 slightly darker, maybe a little fuller?

I think I might favor the m70.... I guess I like my drums a little darker.

I´ve seen that thread with the mic shootout on ac guitar before. Checked it out again, and I think the m70 sounds very nice on acustic gtr aswell.

I think I would be happy with both the m70 and the um70 as overheads, maybe I´ll get a pair of both in time.
Old 17th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Been spending some time comparing the different mics at the drum mic madness thread.

I think both the m71 and the m70 sound very nice. My impression is that the m71 is brighter and has more presence? The m70 slightly darker, maybe a little fuller?

I think I might favor the m70.... I guess I like my drums a little darker.

I´ve seen that thread with the mic shootout on ac guitar before. Checked it out again, and I think the m70 sounds very nice on acustic gtr aswell.

I think I would be happy with both the m70 and the um70 as overheads, maybe I´ll get a pair of both in time.

the beauty of the 692 modular system is that you can buy a PAIR of preamp bodies, with a pair of capsules, and then add additional caps later. thumbsup
Old 17th March 2010
Here for the gear

Yeah I know. That was one of the things that intrigued me into getting my um70. So if I get myself a body with a m70, and then an extra m70 capsule, I´ll probably get another um70 capsule in time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search