The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sneak Preview: APA Leviathan 500 series compressor 500 Series Dynamics
Old 14th July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Can you give us an outline of how much dough we should set aside?

Estimated street price is $1050 USD.

We'll run an introductory special for the first month of $100 off the street price, so intro price will be $950.

If you'd like to reserve a unit for the introductory price, we will accept a $100 deposit per unit reserved.

Thank you

EDIT July 28, 2010: street price lowered to $995 (see post below)
Old 29th July 2010
Some minor good news, the NZ to US dollar has been very stable for some time and lower than expected, so the regular street price will be $995 USD with intro price still being $950. So far so good for end of Sept-ish release. Thanks.
Old 29th July 2010
Lives for gear

Is this still squarely in the LA-3A family?
Old 29th July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapfreak View Post
Is this still squarely in the LA-3A family?
Yes and no.

Yes in the idea that its an opto, will have intentional coloration from the circuitry, and the vintage mode is program dependent and inspired by the LA series reaction times. I'm still testing the final adjustments on this (Tim is able to change it based on my preferences), I don't want it to be too fast in attack (I'd rather have it general usage and practical than trying to get it exactly like something else) so it may land somewhere between a 2A and a 3A in that aspect.

No in the fact that it's also got adjustable attack, release and ratio so you won't be stuck in the one mode and you can use (as an example) a pair for two bus and even as part of a mastering chain if you want.

Again, I like to use the word 'inspired', I don't want to get in the trap (that I've seen many other manufacturers fall into) where people compare it to a vintage unit and say 'it's not the same'. We aren't trying to achieve that here, and want it to be taken on its own merits only.
Old 30th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Yes and no.

Yes in the idea that its an opto, will have intentional coloration from the circuitry, and the vintage mode is program dependent and inspired by the LA series reaction times. I'm still testing the final adjustments on this (Tim is able to change it based on my preferences), I don't want it to be too fast in attack (I'd rather have it general usage and practical than trying to get it exactly like something else) so it may land somewhere between a 2A and a 3A in that aspect.

No in the fact that it's also got adjustable attack, release and ratio so you won't be stuck in the one mode and you can use (as an example) a pair for two bus and even as part of a mastering chain if you want.

Again, I like to use the word 'inspired', I don't want to get in the trap (that I've seen many other manufacturers fall into) where people compare it to a vintage unit and say 'it's not the same'. We aren't trying to achieve that here, and want it to be taken on its own merits only.

Glad to know. Sorry if I implied it was a direct clone but nice to know it could fit in pretty well on duties typically covered by the LA-3A.
Old 7th August 2010
Lives for gear

how about a special intro pair price?

what other 500 series optos are out there (1 slot)?
Old 11th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by once a roadie View Post
how about a special intro pair price?
I'll see what I can do, thanks.
Old 12th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll see what I can do, thanks.

I know I'm holding a couple spare slots for these! Would love to see a further pair discount!
Old 12th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapfreak View Post
I know I'm holding a couple spare slots for these! Would love to see a further pair discount!
Ok for intro special we can do $1850 for the pair

So regular price single - $995
Intro special on single - $950
Intro special on pair - $1850

Thanks again
Old 18th August 2010
Lives for gear

I want a Leviathan Twin, like now! I'll never let my APA JT go.

I love these guy's stuff.
Old 18th August 2010
Not sure what will come out after the Leviathan 500, we have a few decisions to make...stay tuned, and thanks for your support!
Old 1st September 2010
Everything is in process, but we are finalizing panel graphics which only take a few weeks to finish at most. We had a few suggestions from people and I had some ideas, let me know your thoughts on this revised look (silkscreen is difference everything else is the same), thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Sneak Preview: APA Leviathan 500 series compressor-atlascompmockupv4b.jpg  
Old 2nd September 2010
Lives for gear

I think I would prefer to see the silkscreen match more closely in color to the Juggernaut. Alsothe numbers are so small to be almost worthless, maybe you can figure out an elegant way to make them bigger without being obtrusive.
Old 2nd September 2010
Lives for gear

I'm not trying to be critical of the new change, but since you asked for opinions..... I would like to say that the pictures of the demo units looked the best, and matched the Jugger's....

Just my opinion.... Either way, I'm still interested.
Old 2nd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Everything is in process, but we are finalizing panel graphics which only take a few weeks to finish at most. We had a few suggestions from people and I had some ideas, let me know your thoughts on this revised look (silkscreen is difference everything else is the same), thanks.
Damn, that's ugly. Go back the ones that looked similar to the Juggs. Sorry to be so blatant but damn.heh
Old 2nd September 2010
Lives for gear

Attached Thumbnails

Wow- gross- you really need pink LED's with pink silk screen printing to match.

All seriousness- I think in the metal the proposed colour scheme with printing matching the yellow LED will look fantastic

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 2nd September 2010
Is it mainly the lines around knobs (instead of dots) or the yellow in general that is least likable? I'm guessing its not the blue or the numbers (that blue is the same that's on the Juggernaut Twin). I was hoping for something less plain that just all white text, and with more practical info with the numbers on attack and release, instead of just 'f' 's' but if you guys like the original more that's cool. Any specific ideas would be appreciated, thanks for the input so far.
Old 2nd September 2010
Gear Nut

Sneak Preview: APA Leviathan 500 series compressor

It looks cool, the lines work, but I think you should replace either the blue or the yellow with white to get a cleaner look, specially if you are going to have leads in colour too.

Right now these hues are not playing so well together. At least not against a black backgroundplate.

Just my graphic designer side talkning....
Old 2nd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is it mainly the lines around knobs (instead of dots) or the yellow in general that is least likable? I'm guessing its not the blue or the numbers (that blue is the same that's on the Juggernaut Twin). I was hoping for something less plain that just all white text, and with more practical info with the numbers on attack and release, instead of just 'f' 's' but if you guys like the original more that's cool. Any specific ideas would be appreciated, thanks for the input so far.
You had it right the first time Nate

Old 2nd September 2010
Lives for gear

Its beauty was what first attracted me.

Studio days are long.

It's nice when your environment is nice.

Aesthetics matter.

- c
Old 2nd September 2010
Thanks guys, we'll keep it like the original, but I think 'Leviathan' at the bottom in blue and 'APA' in the top left in blue will stay like in the graphic, minus the writing on the bottom left ('500 series opto compressor').

Any thoughts of preference on the order of the LED pushbuttons (red, green and blue available, just like on Juggernaut)?

Thanks again.
Old 3rd September 2010
Lives for gear
I think the LEDS should be either

BLUE, GREEN, BLUE
or
GREEN, BLUE, GREEN
(so that there is any easy to see difference from across the room + it keeps the RED for the BYPASS? Just an idea.

Any more specs on these yet (relative attack/release times and such) also, how "tight" is the link going to be? Is it going to be like the Buzz Essence which I believe is like a "75%" link.

Thanks - can't wait!
Old 3rd September 2010
Lives for gear

great move to going back to the original faceplate.
thanks.
rsp
Old 3rd September 2010
Gear Nut

Sneak Preview: APA Leviathan 500 series compressor

Yes! The original looks good and concistent with the Juggernaut. Good for your brand not to get to carried away and keep a straight line.
Old 3rd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
You had it right the first time Nate

Diddo... I wouldn't change a single thing cosmetically from the original.
Old 3rd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax View Post
Diddo... I wouldn't change a single thing cosmetically from the original.
Ditto x 2. Nothing, I mean nothing.
Old 3rd September 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
I think the LEDS should be either

BLUE, GREEN, BLUE
or
GREEN, BLUE, GREEN
(so that there is any easy to see difference from across the room + it keeps the RED for the BYPASS? Just an idea.

Any more specs on these yet (relative attack/release times and such) also, how "tight" is the link going to be? Is it going to be like the Buzz Essence which I believe is like a "75%" link.

Thanks - can't wait!
Incidentally, I'll add my +1 to not changing anything else
Old 4th September 2010
Lives for gear
Massive 7.0 earthquake hits new zealand!

I wanted to say that I'm hoping Tim Farrant, Buzzaudio and everyone down in NZ has come through their massive earthquake ok.

Good thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved.
Old 4th September 2010
Quote:
I wanted to say that I'm hoping Tim Farrant, Buzzaudio and everyone down in NZ has come through their massive earthquake ok.

I haven't heard back from Tim, but they are about 200 miles north of where the earthquake hit, so hopefully far enough away that they are ok.

But yes, positive thoughts and wishes to whoever was near it!! If anyone was near Christchurch, NZ please let us know how you are.
Old 4th September 2010

Quote:

A bit off topic, but everyone is OK. We did feel the shake here but there were no reported major casualities in Christchurch. A fair amount of infrastructure damage, water, sewage, power, old buildings, and stuff on shelves being hurled around supermarkets, but it seems it was not nearly as bad as other recent quakes around the world.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search