The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bob Powers...
Old 3rd June 2003
Gear Maniac

Bob Power...

he's done it again... blown me away. He just seems to wrench the most SOUL and gets the warmest, bottom end out of all the RnB guys out there... this time its some tracks on The Roots latest album.

The thing that really impresses me is his versatility within the RnB field - he kills it on chilled tracks and more pumped up stuff too.

Has he done any interviews/articles about his work?

Burt
Old 3rd June 2003
Lives for gear

There was an interview with him a while back in either "eq" or "mix" magazine.........i forget which.........in which he was specifically talking about how he gets his low end.........very interesting...
Old 3rd June 2003
Gear Maniac

Powers

thx Jazzius...

I'll search around for that article...

Burt
Old 3rd June 2003
Lives for gear

try a google search.....btw, his name is Power (no "s")
Old 3rd June 2003
Gear Maniac

no 's'

oops - yeah, sorry.

Burt
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

http://www.bobspowercenter.com/

if I only had known this a year ago ... back when GS started I was looking for one of these .... that's when Jules gave me a call ... heh
Old 4th June 2003
Gear Maniac

LMAO!!

hehe - I can't find that article either... but that was much funnier and probably more informative anyway :-)

actually all I can find is some small article in MIX where he says he uses Logic and an O2R... yeah right! - pre-production maybe... I was more intrigued by the sentance 'I'm a vintage analog freak - I know how to turn knobs'.

seriously though - he is a trained musician which perhaps explains the pleasing musicality of his mixes...

Burt
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

Hehehehe... I'm more of a Flymo-man myself, but still... If anyone locates the aforementioned article please do post a link...
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

Bob is mos def (no pun intended) one of my top 3 favorite engineer's. The stuff he did on Ozomatli is incredible. His mixes seem to stand the test of time, which is very rare esspecially on the hip hop stuff he does. (I just lifted a drum sample off Illideph last week, and HOW old is that record?!)
Old 4th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Power to the people

Hi e-cue

yeah I second that... he has consistantly amazed me over the years... I can't count the number of times I've played a hip hop/r n b album with various mixers/producers and noted down my fave mixes then checked the credits... its almost ALWAYS a BP mix.

Russell Elevado also does a great job on 'Something In the Way of Things' on The Roots lp... difficult material to work with IMO and he shows great creativity - very psych influenced. Much prefer it to his mixes on the new Roy Hargrove... I'm just not into that snare sound which is a shame cos his work on D'Angelo's Voodoo is still a benchmark for me...

Jazzius: can't find that article.. any chance you can give us a lowdown on what he was saying bout his low end theory (pun intended)

Burt
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

Jules: Add Bob to "Future Guest Mod" list...
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

eeerrrrrmmmmm......i guess i need to read it again meself 'cause i can't remember!........

i did find this though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search