The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPL Transient Design 4 Dynamics Plugins
Old 3rd June 2003
Gear Nut

SPL Transient Design 4

Hello all,

Just curious. Does anyone out there have some experience with the SPL Transient Designer 4? How do you like it? How do you tend to use it? I was pretty impressed by the demo on their website and plan to get one. Just curious to see what some of you think of it.

Thanks,
John
Old 3rd June 2003
Drum overheads in my small drum booth, to smooth out trashy close reflective transient sound and to force 'luxurious' cymbal decay.

On toms sometimes,

Early days for me, only had mine a few months...4 or so.. (got it second hand)
Old 3rd June 2003
Gear Addict

Transient Designer

I've had a couple of them for a few years now. Bass drum...always. Overheads...always. Also you can do great tricks with a drum loop.
Their web site has some very helpful reviews. Here's a snippet:
"I also used the Transient Designer in a non-standard setup; I patched the same mono drum loop into two channels. I didn't want a “coherent stereo image”, so I did not link the two channels. Channel 1, the left channel, was set for increased attack and decreased sustain. Channel 2, the right channel, was set for decreased attack and increased sustain. The lowly mono drum loop now became a very animated 'stereo-ized', panoramic, wacky drum loop effect".
Old 3rd June 2003
Lives for gear

mad machine..........nothing else like it.........unfortunately i don't own one but that will change!
Old 3rd June 2003
Benjy. typically, what do you find yourself doing with Bass drum (that's Kick Drum for the yanks out there)

Jules
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

It's awesome! There's a VST plug in called Dominion that's supposed to do the same thing but it only has a very small amount of the power that the SPL TD does. It was gear of the month here before. Look in that forum for some more info or search Gearslutz, there were a few threads about it.
Old 4th June 2003
Gear Nut

Thank you everyone for responding so quickly. I just ordered mine today and should get it by the end of the week. I'm really looking forward to seeing what it can do to help give my drums some extra snap and punch. I'm definitely inspired by your responses.

Thanks again,
John
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

Your drums will worship it. It's better than the demos.
Old 4th June 2003
Gear Guru

Are you guys using the TD in tracking, mixing or both? Please explain how you'd use it in tracking as opposed to mixing.
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

Has anyone used the plug-in version yet?
Old 4th June 2003
Just tracking for me so far..

Drum overheads in my small drum booth, to smooth out trashy close reflective transient sound and to force 'luxurious' cymbal decay.

I bought it as a small drum space "aid".
Old 4th June 2003
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by StuartMac
Has anyone used the plug-in version yet?
I'm using the TD plug-in version for Creamware DSP cards and it's great! However, I never used the hardware version, so I can't compare, but it does sound a lot better than Dominion. I think it's has to do with the shape of the envelope, TD sound more natural to my ears.

BTW, you should also try it on bass. It can be a little bit tricky (should use it very sparse), but most of the time it will add just that little bit more punch that can make a bass line work great together with the kick drum.

cheers,
vincent
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

Ever hear a producer say "I think the XXXXX just needs a little something more", and you have NO idea what direction they are trying to go? This is a goto box for those situations.

It's been rumored to have been used on the snare drum on No Doubt's "Hella Good". Totally sounds like it.

I suggest the 4 channel unit, because you'll probably use it on OHs / Stereo Loops and probably still wish you had more. Don't get carried away with it though.
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Ever hear a producer say "I think the XXXXX just needs a little something more", and you have NO idea what direction they are trying to go? This is a goto box for those situations.

It's been rumored to have been used on the snare drum on No Doubt's "Hella Good". Totally sounds like it.

I suggest the 4 channel unit, because you'll probably use it on OHs / Stereo Loops and probably still wish you had more. Don't get carried away with it though.
e-cue

have you heard a plug-in get close?
do you ever use plug-in's btw?
and one more q, do you prefer PT or Logic?

thanks!
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

I love the transient designer!!!!! I use it on every mix! Snare, Kick, Tambourine, anything that needs a little adjustment. Make snares really close ala Neil Young Harvest, or push stuff way back clipping all the transients.

Can I also suggest a Mutronics Mutator for this use? You can get similar gating effects, plus you get a really cool analog filter. But, you can't do the the smashed sustain thing that the TD can do.

I also couldn't live without the Mutator! Awesome box!

-Ray
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

When all the talk of the TD started late last yr i looked into one seriously as i know they are the 'Go to' secret weapons of the gods..Its the secret weapon that very few talk about in interview with magazines . For instance there was an interview with Kevin Killen in one of the US mags and they went through every bit of kit he carts around with him on jobs from his 8 x 1064's to 3 x distressors and heaps of other slutty toysheh ... somehow he didnt mention the TD4 that was also in the rack?...hmmm well the secret is out now.

Also i have been told by an extremely reliable source that the ones to go for are the 4 channel units as they have a MUCH better psu for overseas ppl like myself. He had a lot of trouble with the 2 channel version.

Do u think the TD was responsible for the close and upfront snare sound of Beck's 'Seachange'?.... cos its an ace snaretone?

BTW... perhaps we should work out a group buy on this unit!!!!!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Nut

Until i have the cash to buy one , i use the Envelope Mode on my Tc-Electronics Triple-C .
Anyone compared the two ?

Marc
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
e-cue

have you heard a plug-in get close?
No. A Master X5 into Mc Dsp's analog channel with the drive cranked is ballpark. You'd still have to tweek a crapload of parameters versus 2 knobs on a TD.

Quote:
do you ever use plug-in's btw?
Lol. My rig has a 13 slot expansion chasis slammed. I had to get a custom 13 node ribbon cable made for it. Digi freaks out anytime I mention this to them as it's totally not recommended. So, to answer your question: yes.

Quote:
and one more q, do you prefer PT or Logicthanks!
Protools... I'm slowly warming up to Logic. All the DAW stuff I get from Europe is logic format.

Quote:
Originally posted by henrybob
Until i have the cash to buy one , i use the Envelope Mode on my Tc-Electronics Triple-C .
Anyone compared the two ?

Marc
The TD unit reacts much better to the higher frequencies than the Trip C and sounds more like, for lack of a better description, a sustain pedal. When the decay finishes on the TD unit, you don't get the noise that a typical compressor gives you. The Trip C's release and sustain periods usually require more tweaking to make it sound non-linear (which I usually go for). The TC unit is better for sculping an attack because you have more control. I almost always keep my DRG set to 10 on my Triple C and have a lot of fun with the "add" setting with a selective sidechain, and almost always go in digitally which I believe sounds much better than the analog inputs. Sam Ash still has some of these mofo's for a bargain of $300 us each for the stereo version. There's a software upgrade that I haven't gotten around to yet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search