The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
good guitar cab for duncan convertible?
Old 2nd June 2003
Lives for gear

good guitar cab for duncan convertible?

I'm looking for a good cab for a duncan conv. that I recently bought off of ebay. I could go the Marshall 1960 route like many do, but I don't want it to sound like everything else.

Any suggestions on what to pair this head (100w) up with?

I'm not a guitarist by nature, hence the novice question.

The main priority is for recording. 2x12 is ok, but 4x12 or 4x10 would be better because this thing also has to be heard in loud rehearsals.

Thanks!
Old 2nd June 2003
Lives for gear

Jackson....did you get just the head or the combo amp? The reason I ask is I own the 2nd combo #0002...its a very interesting amp. Good luck finding preamp modules...theres always a few floating around here and there but not many...

Ya really cant go wrong with the Marshall cab. You can tailor the sound with your speaker selection.Vintage 25's...greenback 30's...75's have a heavy sound to em...Theres something very musical about the Marshal cabs that only a few other manufacturers have figured out.....

Perhaps an Orange cabinet or even an old Hiwatt with Fanes in it for a bit of different...
Old 3rd June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by sonic dogg
Jackson....did you get just the head or the combo amp? The reason I ask is I own the 2nd combo #0002...its a very interesting amp. Good luck finding preamp modules...theres always a few floating around here and there but not many...

Ya really cant go wrong with the Marshall cab. You can tailor the sound with your speaker selection.Vintage 25's...greenback 30's...75's have a heavy sound to em...Theres something very musical about the Marshal cabs that only a few other manufacturers have figured out.....

Perhaps an Orange cabinet or even an old Hiwatt with Fanes in it for a bit of different...
I got the head and 5 modules. Hopefully they'll last me awhile.

IIRC, in the favorite amps for recording thread, there was a great description by Gone Fission (I think?) of the differences in Celestions and other speakers. Time to look that up.

I did look at the Fanes. New, they're $$$, but I might be able to scare up a used cab with Fanes somewhere, or trick out a decent cab with Fanes as budget allows. Or Weber's or Alnico's.

There's paying for the name, too. I think Orange and HiWatt have even Marshall beat in that category. The Peavey cab I saw for sale locally that Marshall sued Peavey for copying might be a good idea, but the asking price is $400. I can do better on ebay.

Thinking aloud again...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear