The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Headphone/Monitor routing HD192 and Presonus HP60
Old 3rd March 2010
Gear Addict

Headphone/Monitor routing HD192 and Presonus HP60

Anybody know how I can go from the XLR outs of my MOTU HD192 to my Presonus HP60 and go to my pair of monitors correctly? The HP60 has one "external stereo in" and one "stereo in" on the back for each headphone channel.

I cant seem to think hard enough.
Old 3rd March 2010
Gear Addict

Let me rephrase...How the hell should I hook this up to the HD192 and my monitors/headphones? I want to be able to do all the obvious monitoring stuff.
No one attack me. Please...
Old 3rd March 2010
Gear Addict

Anybody? Is this a strange product combo? I know there's a lot of HP60 folks out there...
Old 3rd March 2010
Gear Addict

Old 3rd March 2010
Gear Addict

Old 3rd March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWagner View Post
The HP60 has one "external stereo in" and one "stereo in" on the back for each headphone channel.
I meant one external stereo in and one "stereo out"...
Old 3rd March 2010
Here for the gear

DAW? Other routing (ie, how many outs r u willing to use/sacrifice)? HP60 just has one cue in; not A & B?
Old 3rd March 2010
Gear Addict

I'm just using the HD192 going into the HP60 and then to my speakers. So I'm only using two of my outputs on the HD192, leaving me ten more, if thats what you mean...
The HP60 has two main inputs with left and right inserts on each...Then the actual channels you control have the aforementioned Stereo out and Stereo in...

I'm going from two HD192 outs to the left of one HP60 input (A) and the right of the other main input (B), and thats how I've got sound right now, but I'm pretty sure thats set up wrong.

Does that make sense?
Old 3rd March 2010
Gear Addict

I feel that Ive bred more confusion now...
Old 3rd March 2010
Gear Addict

Help...I'm dying.
Old 3rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Use a half normalled patchbay if you have one and split the signal out to your Presonus and your monitors.

I'd run 2 sets of outputs from the Motu myself
Old 3rd March 2010
I don't think the HP60 can drive a pair of monitors, it's a headphone amplifier. What you need is a monitor controller, like a Mackie Big Knob.

You could send your stereo mix out of two channels of the MOTU into the DAW mix inputs of the Big Knob, hook your monitors up to MONITOR A outputs, and feed the HP60 with the DAW output.

If you want separate mixes for headphones, you could use 2 pairs of outputs from your MOTU and feed the 2-Track A and 2-Track B inputs of the Big Knob and send those outputs to the HP60 Input A and Input B.
Old 4th March 2010
Gear Addict

It can drive monitors, I've got sound right now to mine hooked up the way I said, I just am getting the effect of missing certain things in the stereo field, or however that should be said.

Anybody have one of these HP60s hooked up to their speakers?
Old 5th March 2010
500 series nutjob

just run one of the six out to a amp the to you speaker ( or powered speakers )?
i will still leave you with one additional headphone mix.
why not just run your monitor mix from the 192?
Old 17th March 2010
Gear Addict

I re-upped this thread because I know there's a way to get this right without any other equipment...
So here's a couple pictures of what I've got...
I'm just trying to get the right hookup to my monitor speakers and headphones....
If you are angry I reposted this, please don't express it.......

Old 17th March 2010
Gear Addict

I will re-clarify upon request...but I will not go away...
Old 17th March 2010
I guess you could try using a Y cable, TRS to XLR M and XLR F, and hook that up from one of the stereo outputs of the Presonus to your monitors, maybe. I think you might need to buy a monitoring solution of some kind, like a Big Knob.
Old 17th March 2010
Gear Addict

Maybe someone could just confirm this hookup...

I've got output 1 and 2 of the HD192 (pictured above) going into Input A Left/Mono and Input B Left/Mono. From channel 1 of the HP60 (also pictured above) I have a cable going from the Stereo Out that Y's into my monitor speakers...

So I have sound in so many different configurations, but I want to make sure this is the right way to connect...In some of the setups the sound is incomplete...

This is basic stuff I'm sure, I just can't make my brain work to figure it out.
Old 17th March 2010
Gear Addict

I'm think I keep hearing half the signal in each ear, as opposed to the whole "stereo image" or what have you...
Old 17th March 2010
500 series nutjob

as mentioned before, i would run your monitor mix from the 192?
do the same for a headphone mix?

9 and 10 to monitor mix?
11 and 12 for headphone mix?

what would be wrong their?
Old 17th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post

9 and 10 to monitor mix?
11 and 12 for headphone mix?

what would be wrong their?
He needs a monitor controller, or at least a volume knob, to hook his monitors up to outputs 11 and 12, but doesn't have one or want to buy one.
Old 17th March 2010
Vum
Lives for gear

MOTU

output 1-2 = speakers

output 3-4 = Presonus input A
output 5-6 = Presonus input B
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vum View Post
MOTU

output 1-2 = speakers

output 3-4 = Presonus input A
output 5-6 = Presonus input B
Yeah, something like this is what I was thinking...

As far as all these ideas, which of them is definite that I WILL hear things in real actual stereo???

I keep having to go to Guitar Center to buy different random cables...
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan View Post
He needs a monitor controller, or at least a volume knob, to hook his monitors up to outputs 11 and 12, but doesn't have one or want to buy one.
I get what you're saying, and I appreciate the responses, I just am trying to say that I get sound right now (i.e. the HP60 runs my speakers fine), I'm just hearing different mono versions of sound instead of stereo...
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Addict

Dont mean to aggrevate anyone....
Just feels like I'm amongst some pro folks - better than asking at guitar center....

I just want to know which, if any, of these ideas is a sure-shot...

Old 24th December 2011
Here for the gear

Probably, Im too late but this thing TC Level Pilot Mixing knob | Andertons is great way to avoid using presonus as a volume knob

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search