The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DMP3 Mod
Old 2nd March 2010
Lives for gear

DMP3 Mod

After an extended period of R and D, JJ Audio Mics is proud to announce, the DMP3 mod.

Changes have been made to the signal path and power supply to further refine and clarify the signal quality of the DMP3. This already decent preamp, is improved via these mods, especially in the departments of articulation and transient response.

The mod is an economical $150 plus shipping.

Please contact us at JJ Audio Mics for details!

Thanks

PS Files to come shortly!

Peace
Illumination

Last edited by illacov; 14th June 2011 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: Price increase as of June 14, 2011 - JJ Audio Mics, USA
Old 2nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Wow $100 that sounds like a bargain!!

I'm pretty torn between getting my DMP3 modded or get either a Grace M101 or True Systems P-Solo.

I'd be really interested if finding out how the DMP3 mod compare to these preamps?
Old 3rd March 2010
Lives for gear

me too! i'm genuinely excited about this. can't wait to hear the clips. if i'm convinced, i'll be packing up and sending out my DMP3 in a jiffy.
Old 3rd March 2010
Lives for gear

What a coincidence!!

I just fired up my DMP3 for the first time in over 3 years just this weekend!!

This has to mean something...

waiting for the clip-o-rama!
Old 3rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post

PS Files to come shortly!
By "shortly", are we taking... hours, days, weeks, or months? Don't wanna be pushy but this is generating excitement (at least in my little world where I love to get the most out of my budget gear).
Old 3rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
By "shortly", are we taking... hours, days, weeks, or months? Don't wanna be pushy but this is generating excitement (at least in my little world where I love to get the most out of my budget gear).
We actually liked the sound of the mod so much, that we modded all the ones we've had in our possession and now we only have one recorded example left of the stock unit LOL.

So we have to go buy another unit now to do a true A/B!

That is unless somebody wants to volunteer a unit for stock vs mod!

We'd cut them $20 off the price of the mod for volunteering a stock unit!

Peace
Illumination
Old 3rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
We actually liked the sound of the mod so much, that we modded all the ones we've had in our possession and now we only have one recorded example left of the stock unit LOL.

So we have to go buy another unit now to do a true A/B!

That is unless somebody wants to volunteer a unit for stock vs mod!

We'd cut them $20 off the price of the mod for volunteering a stock unit!

Peace
Illumination
I'd love to do it, but I have some new compressors coming soon and I need to do some shootouts of my own. Otherwise, my DMP3 would already be on it's way to you. Hopefully someone will jump in. This is definitely a good deal.
Old 4th March 2010
Gear Addict

I want to real bad but I have a project coming up next weekend.
What is the likelyhood of an exchange program?
Old 4th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolate4roses View Post
I want to real bad but I have a project coming up next weekend.
What is the likelyhood of an exchange program?
we're basically looking for a unit to shootout the modded unit against. It has to be stock.

I'll talk to Jim about your suggestion but for now, we still need a stock unit, hopefully somebody will volunteer a unit for shooting out the mod.

I do have a demo file but both of the units had already had modded power supplies, so that won't demonstrate a true stock vs mod.

Hmmm.... somebody, anybody?

Peace
Illumination
Old 4th March 2010
Lives for gear

I would happily send my DMP3 over but I'm in the UK and having to pay postage and $80 for the mod isn't cost effective for me at the moment.
Old 4th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I would happily send my DMP3 over but I'm in the UK and having to pay postage and $80 for the mod isn't cost effective for me at the moment.
I think its damn near criminal how much it costs the average person to ship things international.

Its more likely cost effective in some cases (like this) where the individual buys the unit via the internet and has it shipped to the shop of choice in its respective country, so that they only pay for international shipping once.

You know if you sent us your V67G and your DMP3 it might be much more of a bargain. You'd get back a modded monster mic and a great preamp. Just saying (There's definitely a discount in there somewhere methinks!).

Peace
Illumination
Old 4th March 2010
Lives for gear

Any Chance?

Is there any chance of getting a DMP3 modded into a DMP cuz that would be something I would really be interested in!

(couldn't resist) heh
Attached Thumbnails
DMP3 Mod-midiman_dmp3.jpg   DMP3 Mod-bae_dmp_low.jpg  
Old 4th March 2010
Gear Addict

Can't wait to hear these shoot outs.
Old 4th March 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
I think its damn near criminal how much it costs the average person to ship things international.

Its more likely cost effective in some cases (like this) where the individual buys the unit via the internet and has it shipped to the shop of choice in its respective country, so that they only pay for international shipping once.

You know if you sent us your V67G and your DMP3 it might be much more of a bargain. You'd get back a modded monster mic and a great preamp. Just saying (There's definitely a discount in there somewhere methinks!).

Peace
Illumination
hey man, you know me right?

Umm, does this improve the DI at all? I would def consider sending you a stock unit. email me: jasonbrianmerrill-AT-gmail.com
Old 5th March 2010
Lives for gear

sub
Old 6th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
... Grace M101 or True Systems P-Solo.

I'd be really interested if finding out how the DMP3 mod compare to these preamps?
+1.

To JJ Mics: I know you're not going to claim that you're going to make the DMP3 sound like either of the above, and we wouldn't expect you to, but is this the ballpark you're at least shooting at with this mod?
Old 6th March 2010
Lives for gear

It will help to "understand" the mod if you point out what are the weaknesses in the design and how you went into fixing them for example
Power supply filtering was weak and was improved.
Opamp X was replaced with Y for lowering of high gain noise floor.
Old 6th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer1 View Post
It will help to "understand" the mod if you point out what are the weaknesses in the design and how you went into fixing them for example
Power supply filtering was weak and was improved.
Opamp X was replaced with Y for lowering of high gain noise floor.
Power supply filtering increased with better, larger caps.
Input coupling caps on the mic and DI section replaced with audiophile capacitors.

The stock opamp is not touched. The INA163 is used in several excellent preamps on the market and we simply attacked the weakpoints in signal quality (mic and DI) and power supply filtering which affected the noisefloor of the unit.

For the truly adventurous, once the electronics section in the DMP3 is modified, you could remove the guts of the DMP3 from the housing it comes in and rack it. The reason for doing this is so that you can add output transformers

A nice pair of Carnhill 1:1s (I actually beta tested them before they were released and they are awesome!!) on the output of this thing coupled with a pristine input section and preamp stage would be the perfect blend of color and clarity. From recent recollection, the Carnhill 1:1 are available as 600:600 ohm and I believe they were about to release a 10K:10K ohm.

The racked unit would need new switches obviously and the VU meters could be salvaged, scrapped or replaced.

Peace
Illumination
Old 6th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1.

To JJ Mics: I know you're not going to claim that you're going to make the DMP3 sound like either of the above, and we wouldn't expect you to, but is this the ballpark you're at least shooting at with this mod?
I've heard the mod. Ballpark is an understatement thumbsup I don't think people understand yet but they will soon enough. These guys are like the Maciver's of gear lol Sounds funny but im serious.... When they get done with something its almost impossible to believe they actually used the stock unit to being with. I'm as big of a big gear snob that there is, probably demoed every pre, my share of comps and mics, using my ears more and price tags less in recent years has helped me find gems like jjaudio.
Old 8th March 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks!!!

Thanks for the huge outpouring of support from the Gearslutz community!

We have gotten an excellent response and due to near simultaneous inquiries about the mod, several GS members actually got the $80 discount!

Now that we have our stock DMP3(s) on their way, our modification price is back at the still paltry sum of $100.

Thanks to all who chimed in so quickly!

Peace
Illumination
Old 11th March 2010
Lives for gear

This looks nice! Subscribin for clips.
Old 11th March 2010
Lives for gear

any before and after sound clips yet?

cheers.
Old 11th March 2010
Lives for gear

SOON

Peace
Illumination
Old 11th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Power supply filtering increased with better, larger caps.Input coupling caps on the mic and DI section replaced with audiophile capacitors.
For the ignant (read: me) could you explain what power supply filtering and coupling caps do to the sound?
Old 11th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhero View Post
For the ignant (read: me) could you explain what power supply filtering and coupling caps do to the sound?
+1. I think a lot of us could benefit from this. I like techno-speak, I usually trust techno-speak, but I don't always fully understand what's being said.
Old 12th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1. I think a lot of us could benefit from this. I like techno-speak, I usually trust techno-speak, but I don't always fully understand what's being said.
Rather than be a complete snot and post a wiki answer, I'll explain it in terms that anyone can understand.

What filtering caps do in some sense (I'm sure Jim and Jim Williams are waiting somewhere with their keyboards set to stun!) is filter out what people refer to as ripple in the power supply. The ripple in a power supply contributes to the actual noise level (notice I said contribute, so there are other sources) in the audio path. In very loose terms, the amount of capacitance that you get via the filter caps results in so much filtering on the psu to filter out the ripple. More capacitance equals more filtering in this regard. So the better the filtering in a psu, the quieter you can make it. This is not the end all be but it DOES make a difference. Bypass caps also are used to quiet PSUs down in studio gear and other electronic devices.

What you get as an end result with the right amount of filtering in a PSU and in this particular case as well is a MUCH quieter preamp and improved signal purity by virtue of the fact that there's less noise in the audio path.

Hope that helps!
PS: This is a very loosely put together explanation of how filtering in PSUs work but more capacitance in PSUs usually equals quieter performance.

Thanks
Langston
Old 12th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Looking forward to hearing the audio clips.
Old 12th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
A nice pair of Carnhill 1:1s (I actually beta tested them before they were released and they are awesome!!) on the output of this thing coupled with a pristine input section and preamp stage would be the perfect blend of color and clarity. From recent recollection, the Carnhill 1:1 are available as 600:600 ohm and I believe they were about to release a 10K:10K ohm.

Illumination
We now stock both a gapped and ungapped version of the 600R:600R output transformer (CA-18-VTB2280 and CA-18-VTB2281 respectively).... cannot say for sure but I think "illacov" used the ungapped version.... they are availabe from our on-line store;
Audio Maintenance Limited Transformers and Inductors

There will be a new 10k:10k input transformer available in about a month (CA-18-VTB9071).... it will also be available from the on-line store.

Colin Adshead
Audio Maintenance Limited
Old 12th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenderchap View Post
We now stock both a gapped and ungapped version of the 600R:600R output transformer (CA-18-VTB2280 and CA-18-VTB2281 respectively).... cannot say for sure but I think "illacov" used the ungapped version.... they are availabe from our on-line store;
Audio Maintenance Limited Transformers and Inductors

There will be a new 10k:10k input transformer available in about a month (CA-18-VTB9071).... it will also be available from the on-line store.

Colin Adshead
Audio Maintenance Limited
Cheers Colin!

We received a gapped and ungapped transformer to test. They sound insanely good and have an excellent tone to them. These indeed would be a perfect combo as either a transformer stage you can patch into the output of a compressor/preamp (like the DMP3) or you can add them to the racked DMP3 as the permanent output stage or have them on a switch. If you get them racked, one might consider adding a pad on the outputs so you could further overdrive the transformers.

Peace
Illumination
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

I finally received some caps for the DMP3 mod and the units will be shipped on Saturday.

I have some long awaited sound files of the mod.

The mod sounds...........?

You tell me

Enjoy
Attached Files

DMP3 Stock.mp3 (780.4 KB, 5175 views)

DMP3 Modded.mp3 (780.4 KB, 4799 views)

๐Ÿ“ Reply