The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DMP3 Mod
Old 27th January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

stock sounded better more natural an acoustic guitar does not have that much high end and puts out more low end as well

there is usually a rc filter at the input of mic preamps to reject rf noise and what not going in and changing cap values is why there is such a diffrence in sound it has to much low end rejection I'd hate to hear that thing on a kick drum
Lives for gear

I respectfully disagree. Plus I work here so grain of salt.

These are Neumann KMI84s that he used to record the acoustic guitar. The modded version sounds more faithful to the microphone. Much more detail and depth on the modded version. The stock sounds dead to me, not natural at all. The room he recorded this guitar in is a small space and very reflective. The sound of the mod is more alive and shows off what you would hear if you were sitting in the room. So to me the mod is actually the natural sounding one.

I have a client that I record out of his home setup and he has one of these modded preamps. The type of music is hip hop and the modded DMP3 is clear and lush. He uses this with a Chihuahua tube microphone from us along with a dbx 163x compressor. This forms an excellent chain for clear full sounding vocals.

Also with a dynamic or a ribbon this can be a blessing since they tend to need more gain and some preamps near their maximum get very colored or huffy. This preamp once modded does not showcase that kind of performance curve.

Peace
Illumination
Lives for gear

It's fine to disagree what you can see is a high pass filter a very gentle one for an acoustic applied to both tracks listen for yourself

if your going to tell me a km84i sounds like that I'm going to have to strongly disagree
Attached Files

stock3.mp3 (1.14 MB, 1980 views)

modded3.mp3 (1.14 MB, 1910 views)

Lives for gear

doulos30:

I'm not going to continue this discussion any further. If you have any other issues you are trying to point out to me about JJ Audio's work or service please reach out to me or Jim via PM.

This thread is almost as old as the company itself and I'm not trying to get it closed. The last time another technician jumped into a thread and tried to argue about why what we did was not their cup of tea our thread which was there for several years went down the pipes, audio examples and all.

Please understand my concerns,

humbly

Langston Masingale

Peace
Illumination
Old 3rd February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Are there are any new clips modded DMP3 users would care to add?

There are quite a few of you out there.

Peace
Illumination
Old 14th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Price increased to $150 on June 14th, 2011.

Please see the first page for confirmation.

Thanks

Peace
Illumination
Lives for gear

It's too bad there's not a way the modded DMP3 guts couldn't be put into an M-Audio Profire 610
that I have. Including drilling a hole for a button for the HPF the DMP3 has but their ProFire lacks.
The preamps on that 610 are bad. The DI is actually great though, but I have use other mic pres.
I didn't find the stock DMP3 I tested much better than the 610. Flat? I did not consider the DMP3
clean or flat, it had a slight mid / high mid bump. I actually prefer the Studio Projects VTB-1 to it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D. View Post
It's too bad there's not a way the modded DMP3 guts couldn't be put into an M-Audio Profire 610
that I have. Including drilling a hole for a button for the HPF the DMP3 has but their ProFire lacks.
The preamps on that 610 are bad. The DI is actually great though, but I have use other mic pres.
I didn't find the stock DMP3 I tested much better than the 610. Flat? I did not consider the DMP3
clean or flat, it had a slight mid / high mid bump. I actually prefer the Studio Projects VTB-1 to it.
If it has opamps, caps and resistors that aren't SMD we can probably mod the hell out of it.

Peace
Illumination
Old 15th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hmmm. Well, if the company ever decides to take a peek at schematics on it and thinks it's doable (including the
HPF install, 70 hz, -18 db per octave, like on the VTB-1) I might consider being the first to try getting this done.
It's a great interface otherwise if I don't need super-high end conversion. The pre & lack of HPF is its weakness.
Heck, the A/D D/A might be improvable too, who knows. I know there are a lot of people using this device now.
Old 9th March 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

DMP3 very simple modification

I just modified myself the DMP3 before reading this, and just want to report my experience. It seems that DMP3 is not made again and it's a pity because it's a very good preamplifier.

BUT, all the DMP3 have a big problem, too poor power supply, so the real solution is to completley change it or :
JUST DISCONNECT THE 2 LIGHTS OF THE VU-METERS

Thats a very simple solution, open the box and cut the black wire on the right of each vu-meter (you can see clearly the wire going to the inside light), isolate the end of the wire ans that's all.

You will have 3V more before the regulators and the necessary current for all the circuitry. You can eventually increase the two 100 µF capacitors, but I don't think it's necessary.

Before doing that, I had some low frequency rumble coming from power supply when I was using phantom power for conderser microphones.

For the other modifications, I'm not sure an audiophile capacitor can do a good job, because you have not the place to put the big values of a chemical capacitor and you may induce a lost in low frequencies response. It may be a good choice if your mikes are specially used for proximity or if you hate low frequencies but not more.
Old 26th April 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I bought a Shiny box 46MX Ribbon, (I'll fit a lundahl 2912 in) this week, and a dmp3.
After researching the preamp, I opened it up, and traced the front end.
There are 2 10uF's in series right in te signal path! Brrr.

I think I'm going to rip out all the things that i don't need (some parts, hipass and instrument in),
and replace some capacitors, and the xlr for a gold plated .
Old 27th April 2012
Here for the gear

Ripped the most of the front end out. Instrument input works as a jack mic input now without phantom.
Still need to change the caps (10uF100V to 47uF100V and some 100nF).
I also changed the gain, by replacing the
2x 30ohm's with one 3 ohm. Now I have 66 dB gain in the low gain setting from the first opamp.
Its silent, and crispy.
I also replaced the xlr with a goldplated one, and disconnected the light of the VU.
Attached Thumbnails
DMP3 Mod-imag0397.jpg   DMP3 Mod-imag0399.jpg   DMP3 Mod-imag0400.jpg   DMP3 Mod-imag0401.jpg  
Old 12th May 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

To Langston at JJ Audio, I really want to send my dmp3 to you but your page says the dmp3 mod is down. You guys do great work and I want to send my dmp3 to you guys.
Old 8th April 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean30 View Post
I just modified myself the DMP3 before reading this, and just want to report my experience. It seems that DMP3 is not made again and it's a pity because it's a very good preamplifier.

BUT, all the DMP3 have a big problem, too poor power supply, so the real solution is to completley change it or :
JUST DISCONNECT THE 2 LIGHTS OF THE VU-METERS

Thats a very simple solution, open the box and cut the black wire on the right of each vu-meter (you can see clearly the wire going to the inside light), isolate the end of the wire ans that's all.

You will have 3V more before the regulators and the necessary current for all the circuitry. You can eventually increase the two 100 µF capacitors, but I don't think it's necessary.

Before doing that, I had some low frequency rumble coming from power supply when I was using phantom power for conderser microphones.
I, the reviver of threads!

Has anybody else done this?
Old 20th February 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
I, the reviver of threads!

Has anybody else done this?
I have 2 DM3 here, one was bought in the US and the other from UK, the front is different color wise, but that's it I think, I will open them up and take photos, I think I try the MOD that evostars suggested, he seem to have done some progress. I recorded with them a lots and I like them very much. If someone has something else, please post it.

BTW evostars have you done more mod to it, if so how does it sound now!
Old 23rd February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I had refined a DMP3 long ago and I know what's in there and I smell baloney here.
Old 27th February 2017
very interesting....
I have two DMP3 (one on the way) I will need 14 channels for a big recording session in the near future so I just bought another one to add the extra 2 channels I needed.
I liked already the stock one I have but if there is room for improvement I'll gladly make some mod to both.
The lights on the VU are useless as is the VU itself actually so I'll probably cut the wires off... seems like an easy task.
If you guys believe any other change will be worth it and cares sharing more detailed informations to a not really expert in electronics please do.
thanks a lot
📝 Reply