The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves Vocal Rider vs. Compressor?
Old 9th July 2012
Deleted User
DIY tip on Sound on Sound

Hi,
I used this tutorial from Sound on Sound and I'm pleased with it although I still want to try vocal riding myself. Adjust the settings to your liking, it helps me with quick mixes of recordings I make in my singing lessons.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun1...base_0610.html

It's written by Mike Senior and uses Cubase's plugins but I guess that it's usefull in all Daws with similar tools.
I'm curious what you think of this technique and how it compares to the dedicated plugins and to manual vocal riding.
Old 10th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricthing View Post
Hi,
I used this tutorial from Sound on Sound and I'm pleased with it although I still want to try vocal riding myself. Adjust the settings to your liking, it helps me with quick mixes of recordings I make in my singing lessons.

SOS

It's written by Mike Senior and uses Cubase's plugins but I guess that it's usefull in all Daws with similar tools.
I'm curious what you think of this technique and how it compares to the dedicated plugins and to manual vocal riding.
Interesting. I wasn't aware of the feature of gain based on the mix side chain until this thread came back around.
I haven't used the Wave's, some experience with the VocalSteady, but plenty with normal comps and am a proponent of both pre and post fader automation.
Having said that, I can't imagine much utility out of modulating the vocal based on the background. Rather more mix to fit the vocal, finesse the vocal track as needed.
In other words I'm questioning raising the vocal because the mix is crowding it.
Old 10th July 2012
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
In other words I'm questioning raising the vocal because the mix is crowding it.
Hi Wayne, thanks for your reply. I didn't even realize how exactly it works, I'm rather slow when it comes to understanding some processing stuff, mostly when it is complicated by routing etc.
I will try manual riding as well as automating and also want to give the MeldaProduction MAutovolume a second try.
Cause for some work I need a quick method.
Any opinions about the MautoVolume?
📝 Reply