The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Q-clone
Old 26th February 2010
Q-clone

Hi
I have just demoed Q-clone with some presets kindly made by Henry Olonga.
I am very impressed but I find there is virtually nothing written about this.
How come?
Is it because it is waves, therefore unpopular expensive and not many people use it.
I cant believe something sounding this good is virtually ignored.
Old 27th February 2010
Lives for gear

There's nothing really special going on with Q-Clone, straight convolution (or near enough) I beleive like the Tritone Digital plugs (which are really good too btw) - no added distortion, harmonics etc. Still could be a really useful EQ though. There is another, more modern alternative you may also wish to look at: Nebula. If you think Q Clone sounds good........thumbsup

(Also: I lived in Suvaaaaaaaaamptin for while )
Old 27th February 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbitone View Post
There's nothing really special going on with Q-Clone, straight convolution (or near enough) I beleive like the Tritone Digital plugs (which are really good too btw) - no added distortion, harmonics etc. Still could be a really useful EQ though. There is another, more modern alternative you may also wish to look at: Nebula. If you think Q Clone sounds good........thumbsup

is that convolution? Ive never used it . I though it was like a freefilter
Old 27th February 2010
Quote:

Cheers

I am not going to be able to use Nebula for a while cos I am on a quad G5 and I was looking to see if anything came close.

Of all the plug in Eqs I have tried - and I have tried most of them (apart from nebula) Tritone and Q clone seem to have something special going on. I suppose it could be because they are convolution unlike most of the others.

I am still surprised there is little discussion of them
Old 27th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLStudios View Post
I take it you've never used this then...

It certainly is special. Get the demo and see for yourself.

Yes I have used it before, its good, but not as good as the real deal, nebula, or as versatile as TTD stuff. You could do EXACTLY the same job and capture some non linearities with Colour Tone pro and do an even better job with Acusticas Nat 3.

From the Waves Manual:

THE Q-CLONE PRODUCT
The Q-Clone clones the linear part of any system that it is connected to. It will not replicate distortions, noise, or other non-linear properties. However, it will perfectly replicate the sound of the filters and their phase responses.

It's straight convolution mate - as I said.

@ Nigel.

Yeah I think convolution EQ is really good actually - you do get a great flavour from it - I use TTD's Valvetone & Angletone quite alot and they are great! I looked on their website the other day and saw they've released a Neuman MPE10 EQ for mac - they are tasty. I've found Stillwells' vibe eq to sound pretty valvey (awesome mids) and PSP's Squad bundle is also very nice.
Old 27th February 2010
Quote:
Y
[/SIZE][/FONT]
@ Nigel.

Yeah I think convolution EQ is really good actually - you do get a great flavour from it - I use TTD's Valvetone & Angletone quite alot and they are great! I looked on their website the other day and saw they've released a Neuman MPE10 EQ for mac - they are tasty. I've found Stillwells' vibe eq to sound pretty valvey (awesome mids) and PSP's Squad bundle is also very nice.
It is funny but I am really enjoying the journey to analogue sounding plug ins. I started off with UAD and duende and I thought they sounded great. Then I tried aireq and thought - hang on there's something else going on here. Then stillwell - then PSP squad - then Tritone then qclone - help!
Old 27th February 2010
Lives for gear

Tony Maserati said he uses it to clone his hardware EQs when he's short on channels. He said it's great for recall as well.
Old 28th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
People like you amaze me. Firstly, It is obvious to anyone reading this thread who has used it that you have haven't. Not for any amount of time and certainly not on an real projects.

Comparing it to Nebula and then quoting the Waves manual as if that in itself was some form of evidence of its capabilities and quality is just ignorant at best.

.and I aint your mate.
What the hell are you guys fighting about?

-Ben B
Old 28th February 2010
Gear Nut

It's fun cause i talked about Q clone and henry Olonga preset few days ago in another thread and no one seems to care about it

what i think about it :

WHOAWWW , it's Amazing ......i think Q clone with some nice convolution library + Nebula are a real step for Eq plugins !!!

ps: i got all the uad2 eq and worked with all the waves/sonnox/sonalksis/urs/metric halo and i prefer by far Nebula/qclone !!!
Old 28th February 2010
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
What the hell are you guys fighting about?

-Ben B
A waves Plugin ..thats GS for ya
Old 28th February 2010
Quote:
just to be clear I am not saying that anyone should rush out and buy Qclone.

I just wanted to agree with the OP that I think Qclone is a very good product and sounds excellent.

But because of its hefty price tag careful thought should be given before buying it and for that reason it may be that Nebula would be better value for money for anyone who has limited funds but wanted this style of eq. At its massive price Qclone really is a luxury for the few that can afford to throw money at projects.

You can always try it get a copy of Nebula FREE addition by buying CM mag or finding a download site that has it as a fee download and then try extra presets from the following -

Acusticaudio
I understand what you are saying but I am on a mac platform and even if I buy a new intel mac I understand that nebula is still problematic to use and I was looking at an alternative. The q clone with good quality s'amples seems to be an option. And I still dont understand why people havent noticed the difference between this and most eq plug ins.
Old 28th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
you dont like Waves plu-gins?

is that what you are saying?

You realize they used it most pro studios and on more commercial relreases than any other plug-in?

I truely do not understand such statements.
I don't wan't to get in a bloody argument - I never even said it sounded bad, I said there was better / more modern technology available for tackling eq sampling. Q-Clone *is* convolution technology and yes, it does the task pretty well also - Your attitude is pretty bad - mate.

@Nigel.

Sorry for bombing your thread
Old 28th February 2010
Quote:

@Nigel.

Sorry for bombing your thread
No problemo
Old 28th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Q-Clone *is* convolution technology and yes, it does the task pretty well also
I just thought I'd add that I often use Altiverb to "capture" static IR's from various devices (outboard EQ's, etc.), and it works like a charm. (It's great when you only have one Pultec in your rack!) It is, however, a little time consuming. I wonder if the process is more streamlined in Q-clone?

-Ben B
Old 28th February 2010
Gear Addict

Q-clone is not at all time consuming. Set up two strips, twiddle, save setting. Your done.
Old 28th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osumosan View Post
Q-clone is not at all time consuming. Set up two strips, twiddle, save setting. Your done.
Sounds good.

-Ben B
Old 28th February 2010
Lives for gear

Q Clone

I use it all the time . It allows you to use your analog eq in a mix and not worry about recall . You just use your analog EQ in real time and Q Clone reflects the changes . When you're done capture and save .

You can also "add" . That means that if you have eqed your track for ex with a 1073 and want to fix an offending frequency with a GML , you can .

It's a great tool . It has no controls in itself but it does the job of capturing very well .
Old 28th February 2010

Quote:
People like you amaze me. Firstly, It is obvious to anyone reading this thread who has used it that you have haven't. Not for any amount of time and certainly not on an real projects.

Comparing it to Nebula and then quoting the Waves manual as if that in itself was some form of evidence of its capabilities and quality is just ignorant at best.

.and I aint your mate.

He only said it was straight convolution. Which it is. Good product. Very usable and pretty unique in what it offer.s But it is indeed straight convolution.

So chill out.
Old 28th February 2010

alright kiddo. Take a chill pill. I reckon you oughta re-read the thread.... Something wrong with your "interposcope".....

Q-clone is indeed a fine product.

Nebula is indeed better. Than most things apart from it's terribke interface!!

As for "I can disagree with whoever I wish - if they have a hissy fit then that's there problem"..... smacks of teenage angst!!!
Old 28th February 2010
Can I suggest we have an anger management thread
Old 28th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
Q-clone is indeed a fine product.

Nebula is indeed better. Than most things apart from it's terribke interface!!
I don't know how you can compare a VST PC only product with Q Clone that supports all platforms . And as far as being better only the ears are judge and since there's no way to hear Nebula I can't comment .
Is your "judgement" based on hearing both or are you just talking specs ?
Old 28th February 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volodia View Post
I don't know how you can compare a VST PC only product with Q Clone that supports all platforms . And as far as being better only the ears are judge and since there's no way to hear Nebula I can't comment .
Is your "judgement" based on hearing both or are you just talking specs ?
Using both in a four room studio ... Used both on many many soundtracks .... Both useful, both good. Nebula has the edge...... although the interface is terrible !!! Nebula is avaliable for Mac by the way - just not in a decent way !!
Old 28th February 2010

Quote:
This had absolutely nothing what so ever to do with you ..you push your way in and throw your weight around and say things like "alright kiddo. Take a chill pill"..

Why dont you mind your own business and keep out of it?

its got nothing to do with you ..its just an opportunity for you to say insulting things to people.

unless of course you and surbitone are the same person ..which is likely.
This is a forum. It is open to all to comment on. You attacked a fellow forum member who had merely outlined his appraisal of what Q-clone offers. You are out of order and have been reported as so by several of us.

Chat closed - you are now on my ignore list as a troll.
Old 28th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
This had absolutely nothing what so ever to do with you ..you push your way in and throw your weight around and say things like "alright kiddo. Take a chill pill"..

Why dont you mind your own business and keep out of it?

its got nothing to do with you ..its just an opportunity for you to say insulting things to people.

unless of course you and surbitone are the same person ..which is likely.

Get over it - I often enjoy reading Narcoman's posts and find them informative and entertaining....you just come across as arrogant and rude and also you clearly haven't done your homework. Also stop putting words in my virtual mouth.
Old 1st March 2010
Lives for gear

i use Qclone all the time.
its a very useful plugin and i also own nebula.. nebula doesnt have the same sound.. not necessarily better or worse but my 1073 clones, pultec eqs and gml's in general sound better with Qclone.

though its been said that qclone is pure convolution and doesnt reflect the distortions and what not...
put Qclone in the vst analyzer and look for yourself...
it actually induces A LOT of harmonics and distortions.
i use it everyday and like it more and more... plus with Henry Olonga's presets he's done... amazing product imo
Old 1st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
..yeah you're definately using two account names.

You did infer that Qclone was not very good with your "its nothing special comment" and then you said that Nebula was better.

No way is Nebula better than Qclone and its a rediculous thing to say. Thats why I dont believe you have used Qclone - not for any length or time and certainly not on any professional project.

Qclone is used by many professional studios who were happy to pay the £500+ price tag for it. You really think you know better than all those professional studios?

I disagreed with you before your hissy fit and I still do.

I just hope that in furture when anyone disagrees with you, you dont from that point on dominate the thread with your need to prove them wrong or put them down.

How about the next thing you post focuses on the topic so we can all move on?

Troll.
Old 1st March 2010

Quote:
..yeah you're definately using two account names.

You did infer that Qclone was not very good with your "its nothing special comment" and then you said that Nebula was better.

No way is Nebula better than Qclone and its a rediculous thing to say. Thats why I dont believe you have used Qclone - not for any length or time and certainly not on any professional project.

Qclone is used by many professional studios who were happy to pay the £500+ price tag for it. You really think you know better than all those professional studios?

I disagreed with you before your hissy fit and I still do.

I just hope that in furture when anyone disagrees with you, you dont from that point on dominate the thread with your need to prove them wrong or put them down.

How about the next thing you post focuses on the topic so we can all move on?

C'mon dude!! - 35 posts and you're making the rules!! Awesome. Love it!!

Look - Q-clone is excellent. In fact it was co-developed by one of my colleagues. Good product, was using it for a good year before it came out as a beta tester. But Nebula has been pretty much universally acknowledged as a graphically challenged yet sonically unsurpassed bit of s/w tech. Re-read the thread again - you've defo (perhaps unintentionally) jumped down the other fellah and my throats!! So calm down and show a touch of respect for your fellow GSers.... and do remember that many of your potential future clients may well be in here.....

And no - I'm afraid I don't have dual accounts - pretty much impossible to do on GS!!
Old 1st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
huh...thats rich ...you spend all your posts attacking me and not even talking about Qclone!

Seeing as your not capable of moving on I will.
C'mon, dude. You're embarrassing yourself here.

-Ben B
Old 23rd June 2010
Gear Maniac

Tutorial vid

Just posted a short ten minute tutorial on using q-clone for those interested.

http://www.vimeo.com/12780363
Old 23rd June 2010
Gear Maniac

I was using the digi "Cosmonaut" plug-in on something which sounded great but the "BEEP!" at each and every gap was just infuriating. I couldn't quite get the sound identical with a normal eq, but Q-Clone saved the day. Hoorah for Waves

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search