The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Aphex Dominator Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 31st May 2003
Lives for gear

Aphex Dominator

I just picked one of these up very cheap, and want to know if anyone has used one. I haven't got it yet, and when it arrives I will have very little time to mess around with it, so I was wondering if anyone could suggest possible uses for it. Drum buss? High enough quality for the stereo buss? Anyone know the difference between the MkI and the MkII (mine is a MkI, but don't pull the punches!!)

Point me in the right direction please, until I get the chance to check it out fully.
Old 31st May 2003
Lives for gear

i've used the dominator II tons, but actualy only on InEar Monitors and it's the best thing out there for that. That being said, I think it would be better on the stereo bus and drum bus than many of the plugins that people are placing on it. If you got it cheap, it should be very effective.
Old 31st May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by doug_hti
i've used the dominator II tons, but actualy only on InEar Monitors and it's the best thing out there for that.
Ditto
Old 31st May 2003
Lives for gear

The dominator a is very cool box........for any1 who don't know it's an analogue multi- (3) -band limiter.........it munches transients.....and has a brickwall nature.....i don't think i'd strap it on the 2-buss but would be very nice for mixing......i believe they used to use it at Bernie Grundman mastering a few years back...whadidyapay4it?
Old 31st May 2003
Lives for gear

Yeah, it is completely brick-wall.........i think it has also been used in broadcast for this purpose

they have something newer but similar in nature......seems like they still believe in analogue over there!

analogue multiband limiter

this would be a great alternative to the Finalizer.......
Old 31st May 2003
Lives for gear

I paid £125 for it, so that's around $200 I think.
Old 1st June 2003
Lives for gear

cheap
Old 1st June 2003
Lives for gear

I sold mine a few months ago

... didn't use it often enough, but i do kinda miss it.

However, I think I got about $500 for mine, so yours was quite a good deal.
-dave
Old 1st June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jazzius

they have something newer but similar in nature......seems like they still believe in analogue over there!

analogue multiband limiter
Yep Jazzius,

The Aphex 2020mkIII is used by a lot of Radiostations in our country. Radio uses it to do 18dBGain Reduction on every band!
So THAT (& 4 other machines they put on their signal) is why our radiostations sound so ****ed up!! dfegadfuuckgrudge
Old 1st June 2003
Lives for gear

But.... if you just hit every band a little bit, let's say 1 or 2 dB...
It can sound damn good!!!
(You can explain that to the radio-stations.... but they won't listengrudgetuttfuuck)
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search