The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which audio card for my Sony DMX-R100? Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd February 2010
Gear Maniac

Which audio card for my Sony DMX-R100?

Hello everyone, i recently bought a Sony DMX-R100 with 4 Sony DMBK-R103 cards for a total of 24 channels, now i'm looking an audio card for my pc and connect it to the DMBK-R103, i don't know if choose some MADI or which audio card for this. Can anybody help me?.

Thanks
Old 22nd February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabianuy View Post
Hello everyone, i recently bought a Sony DMX-R100 with 4 Sony DMBK-R103 cards for a total of 24 channels, now i'm looking an audio card for my pc and connect it to the DMBK-R103, i don't know if choose some MADI or which audio card for this. Can anybody help me?.

Thanks
hi Fabian,

I do not remember what the DMBK cards are. TDIF?
Old 22nd February 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
hi Fabian,

I do not remember what the DMBK cards are. TDIF?

Hi George

Well apparently the DMBK-R100 are 8ch AES/EBU I/O
Old 22nd February 2010
Gear Maniac

they do an AES one, a MADI one, a TDIF one and an ADAT one.

The Madi ones are quite hard to find, but well worth it.

Get an rme card for your DAW and you are good to go.
Old 22nd February 2010
Gear Head

Out of curiosity, does Sony still provide service for these mixers?
Old 22nd February 2010
Gear Nut

Hi Fabianuy,

My Sony DMX-R100 has 2x AES cards and the MADI card installed. I've also got the RME PCIe MADI card.

I think what you decide to use depends what your needs are. Do you need 48 channels? If so the MADI is the only way to go as you can only reach a maximum of 32ch with any other combination of I/O cards. Also, by using the MADI card you have more slots free for additional I/O if you need them.

I'd also like to mention that the RME card is incredible. Ridiculously low latency and rock solid drivers. Highly recommended.

Can I also find out if anyone else finds the angle of the pans leds slightly awkward? I can't see mine without leaning forward over the console. Some slightly annoying routing quirks and I wish there was a hard button for large/small monitor switching, but other than that, great console! Love the pres especially!

Tim.

ps I think Sony support has already stopped but parts are available until later this year - not 100% sure though. Audio Related Technology in London seem to be the best bet for UK servicing.
Old 22nd February 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
Hi Fabianuy,

My Sony DMX-R100 has 2x AES cards and the MADI card installed. I've also got the RME PCIe MADI card.

I think what you decide to use depends what your needs are. Do you need 48 channels? If so the MADI is the only way to go as you can only reach a maximum of 32ch with any other combination of I/O cards. Also, by using the MADI card you have more slots free for additional I/O if you need them.

I'd also like to mention that the RME card is incredible. Ridiculously low latency and rock solid drivers. Highly recommended.

Can I also find out if anyone else finds the angle of the pans leds slightly awkward? I can't see mine without leaning forward over the console. Some slightly annoying routing quirks and I wish there was a hard button for large/small monitor switching, but other than that, great console! Love the pres especially!

Tim.

ps I think Sony support has already stopped but parts are available until later this year - not 100% sure though. Audio Related Technology in London seem to be the best bet for UK servicing.
I will be fine with 32 channels, so RME Madi for my I/O?
Old 23rd February 2010
tekis
Sony DMX!!

I love my DMX. I've had it for a year and a half now. It's already paid for itself. Sony telephone support is EXCELLENT! I use an RME 648 to my Sony MADI card. I used to have ADAT cards in the Sony. There's a MADI card and 2 ADAT cards on eBay at the moment. My friend is also selling a MADI card in the classifieds. They are worth it. I have 56 inputs with it. You can still buy some parts for it from Sony. My buddy who's selling the MADI card also has MANY parts for the DMX. Cheers.

Last edited by tekis; 23rd February 2010 at 04:19 AM.. Reason: [email protected]#$%^&*()Gearmonkeys dfegad tutt
Old 23rd February 2010
Gear Maniac

i saw also the DMBK-R106 expansion, i can also get this model and use with my RME Raydat right?
Old 24th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Old 24th February 2010
tekis
What are you trying to do?

Sony's MADI card gives the most flexibility in my opinion. Over 48 digital inputs total and the choice of having up to 24 of them being analog. Plus MADI has 48 channels on ONE tiny pair of cables. If you already have AES out of Samplitude, then you're probably set. I don't know whether you need the Apogee of not.

Last edited by tekis; 24th February 2010 at 11:58 PM.. Reason: Reread original post.
Old 24th February 2010
Gear Maniac

I'm running on Samplitude, pc, apogee ad/da16x, rme raydat and mixing ITB
I recently bought a sony dmx-r100 with 4 dmbk-r103 aes cards, now i'm looking an audio card for my pc and connect it to the dmbk-r103 and use the ad/da from the dmx-r100 and sell my apogee's, i'm right or not?
My new set up will be Sony dmx-r100, pc, samplitude
Old 25th February 2010
tekis
AES card

How many AES outs do you have?
Old 25th February 2010
Gear Maniac

I think 32 outs because the console is coming with 4 dmbk-r103 card 8 i/o, i'm not sure what audio card to get for these
Old 25th February 2010
tekis
How many outs from your computer?

Out of Samplitude I meant. If you want 32 AES outs, then that's what you need to get. I'm not that familiar with RME's full line. I have a 648 and it works with ADAT and MADI.

Last edited by tekis; 25th February 2010 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: nana
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

Sony is still providing support till 2012 IIRC. I also have a DMX R100 for sale in the classifies here...... shameless, I know!!
Old 25th February 2010
tekis
Why are you selling your DMX?

Your room looks great. What are you going to replace it with? I think they're hard to beat. I LOVE mine!
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekis View Post
Your room looks great. What are you going to replace it with? I think they're hard to beat. I LOVE mine!
I already purchased a C/24. I really love the improvement to my workflow!! I do miss the eq and dynamics tho.....

I changed my setup to a hybrid ITB/OTB mixing, instead of strictly ITB with the Sony.
I also puchased a Lynx Aurora 16 and the LTHD card for PTHD. I enjoy the conversion of the Lynx, splitting hairs vs the sony.

I had issues with the Sony and had to replace the main IF735 board which is impossible to find BTW. The Sony guys were surprised that I did find one. Sony had to install firmware on it to make it up to date. They also replace the smaller power regulator. I also have an extra of the larger PS too.
If I had enough AES cards to take advantage of all 24 channels at 96k, I might be tempted to keep it. I have 0ne aes card and 2 adat cards now.
Old 25th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks Tekis for your pm.

What about the ad/da dmx-r100 quality compared to apogee?
Old 25th February 2010
tekis
On par with Apogee

Comparable. Some think that the CR/monitor section is weak and have used Benchmark or Lavry box for stereo monitoring....
Old 25th February 2010
Here for the gear

The DMBK R103 cards are 8 AES/EBU in/out each, so you need a card for your computer that offers 32 io on AES/EBU (2 Lynx Auroras may be an option+ their internal card?) Not sure if you can get a MADI card for the desk?
Old 25th February 2010
Gear Maniac

I think that this model of RME has the spec for the dmbk-r103 aes/ebu

RME: HDSPe AES
Old 25th February 2010
tekis
That's 16ins and outs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabianuy View Post
I think that this model of RME has the spec for the dmbk-r103 aes/ebu

RME: HDSPe AES

..you wanted 32, no?
Old 25th February 2010
Gear Maniac

yes but 2 hdspe aes/ebu for a total of 32 i/o, anyway i don't need 32 in, just for the 32 outs
Old 27th February 2010
Gear Maniac

I have decided for 2 Lynx aes16, will have to buy the CBL 1604 cables to connect them?
Old 10th March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
Sony is still providing support till 2012 IIRC. I also have a DMX R100 for sale in the classifies here...... shameless, I know!!
Wow sony keeping support till 2012. Nicely coincides with the new World order and all that shizzle.
That could be peace of mind as the 2 adat cards I just bought are not recognized when I installed them...any solutions other than 'hard luck mate'
Love N Peace
Old 10th March 2010
Gear Addict

Sony MADI to RME MADI is the way to go. Leaves you three slots open for other stuff.
I have one AES I/O, one TDIF I/O, One ADAT I/O.
Larry
Old 11th March 2010
tekis
MADI

MADI is elegant!
Old 29th May 2010
Here for the gear

Hi

I am some what of a lurker here for years and would firstly like to thank every ones input over the years I have learned a ton from you all...

Okay so I just bought a DMX R 100 used, this console comes with 5 added expansion cards. There are 3 ADAT optical cards (DMBK-R106) allowing for up to 24 channels of optical i/o on the console. There is a MADI expansion card (DMBK-R109) which allows for up to 48 channels of digital i/o via the MADI protocol. It also allows 2 Sony consoles to be linked together in a master + slave configuration. Finally, there is also an 8-channel analog insert card (DMBK-R105). This card allows for outboard gear inserts within the console channel strips.
I am running a HD 2 system and plan on getting
Solid State Logic XLogic Delta Link MADI HD

Has any one tried this config.? rants raves?

thanks in advance..
Old 1st June 2010
Here for the gear

?

Bump...anybody?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search