The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
LA audio 1/2 band comp
Old 31st May 2003
Lives for gear

LA audio 1/2 band comp

This thing's been sitting in a local music store for a bit. It's basically 4 compressors ina 1 rack unit box. Each pair can be linked, and set with a hp or lp filter. The price isn't bad, but I really don't know anything about the unit. Is it something worth having to play with?
Old 31st May 2003
One with big hooves

I've never used a piece of LA Audio gear but the word on the street is "average" to decent which means it probably isn't horrible but won't be amazing either. If it's cheap enough it might be worth a spin.
Old 1st June 2003
Lives for gear

After some research, I've determined that it must be a C-4, if that helps anyone. Other opinions? Who finds multiband compression really important? Is two bands enough to be useful?
Old 1st June 2003
One with big hooves

Multiband compression does come in handy at times. Usually bass or on drums. It's also great for singers who have a ripping midrange when they really belt but are pretty normal the rest of the time. Kind of like the midband dectection on the Distressor or the Avalon 737. It's probably not something you'd use everyday unless you're doing mastering, but it's great to have around when you need it. I think three bands is really the way to go but I'm sure that a two-band would come in handy at some point, like compressing the top end of a kick to make the point stick but leaving the bottom uncompressed.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear