The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is anyone even close to Randy Staub
Old 21st February 2010
Gear Nut

I just got the new Alice In Chains CD & I put it on my KRK E'8'S and it was so huge that I was floored. Randy Staub is in my opinion the top hard rock mixer there is right now. Lord-Alge is not even close but he is good. Shipley is also great but I never heard any one of those guys get that same hugeness yet. What is he doing that the rest of them are not doing on that ssl 4000.

I guess with an ssl 4000 & the right gear it's possible to get that bigness. How much of that fat gigantic sound is done by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound mastering. I really wonder what the original mix sounds like before mastering.

Any one know how o get mixes to sound that monsterous without a big console board like an SSL. Summing with Cranesong Flamingo & HEdd & putting tube EQ's in after the Flamingo? Who knows? I wish there was somewhere to read something about Staub, but there is nothing that I can find!!!
Old 21st February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieneve View Post
What is he doing that the rest of them are not doing on that ssl 4000.
Its all about perspective or a "sonic opinion" towards a song/production.

Randy Staub has one as well as CLA, TLA, Andy Wallace, Bob Clearmountain, JJP, Michael Brauer, Michael Shipley, etc.

Its what you pay the big bucks for their perspective on your music. It has really nothing to do with the gear even though the gear is what you use to realize the perspective. Randy Staub loves bottom end plus the bigger than life sound on rock songs which these days is rare and he makes sure you hear it and feel it.

You just happen to gel with his opinion.
Old 21st February 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieneve View Post
I just got the new Alice In Chains CD & I put it on my KRK E'8'S and it was so huge that I was floored. Randy Staub is in my opinion the top hard rock mixer there is right now. Lord-Alge is not even close but he is good. Shipley is also great but I never heard any one of those guys get that same hugeness yet. What is he doing that the rest of them are not doing on that ssl 4000.

I guess with an ssl 4000 & the right gear it's possible to get that bigness. How much of that fat gigantic sound is done by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound mastering. I really wonder what the original mix sounds like before mastering.

Any one know how o get mixes to sound that monsterous without a big console board like an SSL. Summing with Cranesong Flamingo & HEdd & putting tube EQ's in after the Flamingo? Who knows? I wish there was somewhere to read something about Staub, but there is nothing that I can find!!!
I'm with you Randy is the best. I've been watching the making of the Black album and he's on that too. His mixes are the biggest and meanest and every time he does a record with other mixers his just sound more evil.
Old 21st February 2010
Lives for gear

I love my Randy Staub records
Andy Sneap stuff is really great, goot, but different
Old 21st February 2010
Lives for gear

well yeah Dave Jerden for one and 1000 of others
he does great work but lots of guys do.
I like Andy Wallace
Old 21st February 2010
Lives for gear

i like andy wallace stuff too
hell, we´re are talking about great records!!
Old 21st February 2010
Gear Head

I just saw Randy Staub in North Vancouver outside my dentist, small world! His mixes kill it.
Old 21st February 2010
Lives for gear
is he from canada?

I like the sound of the black album
Old 21st February 2010
Gear Head

Yah he lives up in West Vancouver. Lots of great talent from up here! Randy, Mike Fraser, Mike Plotnikoff, Bob Rock.................Celine Dion? Sorry about that.
Old 21st February 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamiel View Post
Yah he lives up in West Vancouver. Lots of great talent from up here! Randy, Mike Fraser, Mike Plotnikoff, Bob Rock.................Celine Dion? Sorry about that.
Rush is the most talented 'thing' from Canada
but I think Software is a big thing up there
Computer Animation was pioneered there

wavefront , softimage etc....
Old 21st February 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamiel View Post

possibly even the snow shovel
Old 22nd February 2010
Gear Head

Lots of people employed by EA up here, strong beer and cutting edge technology!
Old 22nd December 2011
Here for the gear

Ultimate Guitar Interview, very informative:

Randy Staub On Black Album: 'The Idea Was To Get A Huge Drum Sound'

Randy Staub On Black Album: 'The Idea Was To Get A Huge Drum Sound' | Interviews @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post

I would agree that Rush is definitely one of the best, but there are others...
Neil Young/Bruce Cochburn/Gordon Lightfoot/Alanas Morrisette/Joni Mitchell/Sarah Mclachlan/Amanda Marshall/Shania Twain/Brian Adams/The Band (Levon Helm-US)/The Guess Who/Steppenwolf/Feist/Daniel Lanois/Payolos (Bob Rock)/Paul Anka/Barenaked Ladies/Diana Krall/Arcade Fire (key talent is from US)/Jeff Healey/April Wine/Blue Rodeo/BTO/Leonard Cohen/Oscar Peterson/Kathleen Edwards/Anne Murray/Stan Rogers/David Sanborn/Tom Cochrane/Ian Thomas/Marc Jordan/Nelly Furtado/Jann Arden/Great Big Sea/The Wailin' Jennys/Wintersleep/Rankin Family/Ronnie Hawkins/Sloan/Celine Dion/Spirit of the West/Teeny Bobbers...Justin Bieber,Avril Lavigne,Sum 41/I have to mention an icon...Stompin Tom Conners...and many others.
So, not too bad for a population of 34 million

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search