The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 6B Lunchbox power supply was improved when?
Old 20th February 2010
Lives for gear

API 6B Lunchbox power supply was improved when?

Hi all

I'm thinking of buying an API API 6B Lunchbox..... maybe new, maybe used....

I heard rumors that at a certain point - the power supply was improved by API.... and the newer versions are better than the older ones...

If this is true - if I was to buy a used lunchbox - is there a way to tell if the supply is the old version or the new version?

thanks
Old 22nd February 2010
500 series nutjob

let me see what i can dig up, this has been discussed, i should have kept better notes
Old 24th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
... - is there a way to tell if the supply is the old version or the new version?

thanks
Yes – there is a way! It’s called the serial number. Here’s the scoop;

In December of 2006 we re-designed the power supply of the API Lunchbox® to accommodate a larger AC transformer to supply more overall current for the Lunchbox. The prior transformer was a pcb-mount (printed circuit board) device, whereas the replacement is a toroid transformer with wires that are soldered to the pcb. This was the largest transformer that we could find that would fit into the Lunchbox without modifying the enclosure.

The new power supply boards were installed in Lunchboxes in Jan or Feb of 2007 with serial number 501.2352 and higher. All Lunchboxes after that number have the most recent power transformer in them – (the wire-toroid we call it).

If you want to be absolutely sure that the Lunchbox you are looking at has the wire-toroid, and you don’t trust the serial number, simply remove the 5 front panel screws and look into the power supply area. If you see a white round transformer with colored wires coming out of it – it is the most current capable Lunchbox that we make. While we don't believe there is anything wrong with older Lunchboxes, there are some 500 series devices out there that want to suck up more milli-amps than their neighbors.

As a side note – there have been rumors that there are differences in the Lunchbox units that have a back-plane revision on the main board. If you look into an empty Lunchbox, below card slot #4 you will see either a Rev --- or a Rev B- in the text. The only difference between the two is the thickness of the printed circuit board back-plane motherboard – provided by a different board manufacturer. It is the same power supply, same circuit, same performance. Operationally, they are exactly the same. There is no reason to favor one over the other.

Thanks for asking. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 24th February 2010
500 series nutjob

thanks API Sez...!!!!!
just my two cents here, but to the best of my knowledge, their is only a couple of high current draw units on the market, short of having a box full of them, i would not personally be to concerned as to rather it was a older lunchbox or not.
Old 24th August 2015
Lives for gear

My buddy's lunchbox has this serial... Can anyone confirm if this is post-2007? Cheers!

5786-10*

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search