The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What is your feeling about adding a sub woofer?
Old 17th February 2010
Lives for gear

What is your feeling about adding a sub woofer?

If you have some Mackie's, Tannoy Precision, Events, JBL ....you know not the high end montiors, but decent ones, would you recommend adding a sub to fill out the low end. Some told me since your customers or yourself won't be playing the music back with a sub, and you have bass traps in your studio, you won't really need it. Others claim that if placed properly, and you use the sub to just have more low end (control the volume to match the monitors), that they can really benifit your mixes.

What is your opinion on this matter and why?
Old 17th February 2010
Lives for gear
IMO...I believe a sub is necessary to check bass levels. When I was in school I asked the same question and the response I got was "Oh, you don't need one, just get really good monitors" That wasn't a good enough answer for me. Most people listen to music in their car with loud ass subs, so you want a sub of your own to make sure that LF stuff is for sure balanced and under control!

That's just my "novice" opinion.
Old 17th February 2010
Lives for gear

I picked up the HS10W sub for my Yamaha HS50M's. My reason was I like the sound much much better than going with the HS80M's alone...more punchier if I may say, plus the fuller range.
Old 17th February 2010
with ns-10's, I would often forget that i had to deal with shaping the low end. you don't want your control room to sound or feel like Mike Jones's escalade though.
Old 17th February 2010
Lives for gear

No subwoofer for me.. It would misslead me and my mixes would suffer.
Old 17th February 2010
Lives for gear

I have no use for them myself, but that's just me.
Old 17th February 2010
Jai guru deva om

I would rather have a full range monitor than rely on a sub, but maybe that's just me too.

Integrating a sub is not easy in most cases, there are lots of issues like phase coherence due to placement, dealing with another crossover point, to only scratch the surface on issues that can arise.

I've never owned a sub......just full range speakers that reach into the low 40's or high 30's......done.

War
Old 18th February 2010
Gear Nut

The problem with subwoofers (at least among people my age, who grew up listening to booming subwoofers in cars) is that bass turned into something you're supposed to FEEL as opposed to something you LISTEN for.

You can HEAR 50hz just fine on an NS10 (really), but it's going to be in balance with the rest of your low end, not an overpronounced woof that knocks you in the chest like a subwoofer will. And for that reason, I feel subwoofers are unnecessary in mixing situations. You're not hearing anything new; you're only bringing low end out-of-balance.

Check your mixes on a sub while you learn your room/monitors? Sure. Leave it on full-time? Uh, no...
Old 18th February 2010
Lives for gear

your type of music that you record will quickly dictate if you need it or not. Most music doesnt go that low unless its electronic or rap music. Most rock and pop music has a hi-pass filter set above 50hz. Get a pink noise tuned room to see what it is that you are hearing and whats missing.
Old 18th February 2010
Gear Maniac

I think subs get a bad rap! I use a Coleman Audio LS3 switcher between by Dynaudio BM6As, my Yamaha HS50Ms and my Blue Sky sub, and I generally use the sub with both pairs of speakers. I have the sub at an almost inaudible level. Or at least it seems that way when it's soloed, but it gives me just a touch of extension on the low end that is always useful to me, at least with rock mixes. It never leads me astray. I think people just crank the sub up too much, which is de rigueur with most consumer systems. It's funny actually. You can always hear my neighbor's sub on their $50 multimedia system blasting through the apartment walls, but with a full range system you don't need anywhere near those sub levels. You can never hear my system polluting the apartment with stray sub frequencies.

I'd say, buy one and try it, but it may take some work to get it set up correctly. Use a room frequency analyzer to make sure you're not overdoing it. Also, if you don't have any acoustic treatment in your room, definitely do that first! You may not realize the fidelity of your system when it's masked by poor acoustics. A sub would just worsen the situation.
Old 18th February 2010
Lives for gear

I've got a KRK 10" sub in my living room for my surround system. However for mixing- no thanks. I find them nice for tracking on occasion, when you're either tracking in the room with instruments, or you need to edit and find super low sounds (chair bumps, etc) that are creeping through.
Old 18th February 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
If you have some Mackie's, Tannoy Precision, Events, JBL ....you know not the high end montiors, but decent ones, would you recommend adding a sub to fill out the low end. Some told me since your customers or yourself won't be playing the music back with a sub, and you have bass traps in your studio, you won't really need it. Others claim that if placed properly, and you use the sub to just have more low end (control the volume to match the monitors), that they can really benifit your mixes.

What is your opinion on this matter and why?
I think a sub is beneficial, but if it's not adjusted 100% correctly your mixes can have "not enough" bass in the them because of the wrong amount of sub that you are hearing. I use the old KRK E8's & I love what I get on my bottom end in the end result of my mixing with them. I don't plan on getting a sub but it's all taste for different people when it comes to subs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search