The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Low $$$$ solutions
Old 30th May 2003
Lives for gear

Low $$$$ solutions

Okay, here's a question. What low cost solutions has anyone found to any problem? State what the problem was, and how you solved it. I'd try to avoid really individual things, like "my room had a giant hole in the middle of the floor, and Ifound this really cheap way to floor over it." The reason for this, is I'm kind of frustrated by the fact that almost every problem I solve generates a couple of new problems, and the solution almost always seems to be to throw money at them. Latest example, I built new shelving to get my monitors into a better position, but now it's nearly impossible to get at the back of the board to repatch stuff. Solution is going to be a couple of short snakes, and maybe some more patch bay, but again that's just throwing money at it. I'm not looking for other solutions to this one, just that sort of thing, and how solved. Display your ingenuity.
Old 31st May 2003
One with big hooves

Well, about an hour ago I was hungry so I sent the bands roadie out to get me something to eat. thumbsup
Old 31st May 2003
Lives for gear

I wanted to be able to create six individual/unique stereo cue mixes. Since boards with 12 aux sends tend to be a little pricey, I got two sub-$1000 mixers with six auxes apiece, and hooked the inserts (cable plugged halfway in) of one board into the line ins of the other.

When tracking I create stereo stems for each instrument and/or vocalist. For example:

Drums - channels 1&2
Bass - channels 3&4
Guitar - channels 5&6
Keyboards - channels 7&8
Lead Vocal - channels 9&10
Reverb - channels 11&12

Then I can tailor everyone's cue mix to their own specifications for up to six stereo cue mixes using pairs of aux sends. I guess now those "everyone set-up your own cue-mix" boxes have gotten cheaper, so I don't know how much money this system would save anymore, but years ago when i first set it up it was a lot cheaper than everything except the Oz system, which was a little too limited in the amount of stems it could handle for what I wanted...
Old 31st May 2003
Lives for gear

Today, I finished up a mix eariler than expected (around 9pm) at a project studio. A friend had been bugging me to help her cut vocals on a track, which I really did want to do but had just been way to busy to even think about working with her. I have plenty of mics, gear, etc. Problem is, no vocal booth where I was mixing. I set up my U47 in the same room my rig was set up, and between my computer fan, my hard drive bay fan, and the expansion chassis fan, the room noise added up to a constant rumble. This vocalist is very dynamic, and compressor is a nessisity with her, and any compression added to my vocal chain only increased more fan noise. Solution: Built a castle around the fan-based noise with my cases of gear, take several package blankets and place them on mic stands around the mic for a 'goboed' effect. While you could hear some of the noise if you listened, it was acceptable even in areas where the music dropped out.

While this was sort of a time issue as well as a money one, it's nice to know I won't have to rent gobo's in the future there.
Old 31st May 2003
One with big hooves

The gobo's at my studio are packing blankets thrown over extra mic stands, cymbal stands or whatever else is around, like guitar cases. It works pretty well and take up zero space when not in use, unlike a regular gobo.
Old 2nd June 2003
Gear Maniac

killer gobo

I built a huge mofo of a gobo a few months ago. The construction was triggered by the success I was having with the old mic stands and sleeping bag gobo. In fact, due to a major engineering screw-up, it was too big to even fit through the studio door. After some serious self deprecation and swearing, I took it apart enough to squeak through the door diagonally, with the help of several stalwart young musicians.

After reassembling it's mighty 7 foot square frame with a window, I've got a serious gobo. The frame is made 2"x3" lumber with 1/4" masonite dadoed into it, which is then covered with (fire rated) egg crate foam on both sides. If it tipped over on me, I would be squarshed big time.

But now I can do drums in my main tracking room without headphones, and the whole band is in there. The increase in energy for the musicians is major, and the attack and quality of the drums has improved immensely. Making that gobo is one of the best things I've done to improve my drum sound.

YMMV.

wurly
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear