The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Trend: Vocalists sounding a little "loose" or dragging in tempo?
Old 12th February 2010
Lives for gear

Trend: Vocalists sounding a little "loose" or dragging in tempo?

I've noticed on some tracks that the vocalists (especially in hiphop style music) that it almost seems like each phrase is slightly out of time, usually late.

Some of the vocalists ive heard doing this, are not "GOOD" vocalists, and so I find it hard to believe that they have good enough tempo/rhythmic control to do this on their own.

Is there some trick where the engineers are bumping/time stretching (without altering pitch) to get these vocal tracks slightly late?
Old 12th February 2010
Gear Maniac

care to share some examples of not so good singers doing this? the first one that comes to mind is cheryl cole, and when i hear it it's pretty clumbsy sounding. i just know theres more and i can't think of them!

but the good singers make it sound good, so i reckon it's just what the vocalists are doing, it's not a hard concept to grasp, although i rap so maybe i'm a bit more tuned in to it than the average singer.

other than that i can't imagine theres anything special about the way timestretch is being used, if at all. you could quiet easily move the first few words of a line back a bit and you're done.
Old 14th June 2014
Here for the gear

I wonder this myself. I messed around with all musical styles myself, just home recording. And, what I have found to be the case is that almost all rappers, at least modern rappers, have the vocals moved forward by milliseconds -- such as a starting phrase, forc certain parts, as well as for the back end of the phrase. Additionally, I have noticed, rappers have a basic idea of how they want to flow their raps, were they to do it perfectly. Instead, they will spit 1 bar at a time, based off of how they want their flow to sound, sometimes spitting 2, or 4 or 8, then having it pieced together by the producer, or person recording. I really hear this effect, on all rapper from Lil'Wayne, Rick Ross, and I think Lloyd Banks and 50 cent. Yet, I could be completely wrong, about all of this.

As far as old wu-tang, it sounded like they were raw, just going in, like on some radio freestyle, there is always that sense of rawness.

Actually, I imagine this is just standard in the industry, across the board, not just rap. Certain genres of course frown on techniques like that, I'm sure like classical, but as far as radio hits go -- not that I listen to the radio, purposely -- now a days, it sounds like everything is moved by the producer, no matter the talent.

Wow, I Had not realized how old the topic was, I just found the topic in a google search and found it interesting.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search