The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New studio gear, advices.... :)
Old 9th February 2010
Gear Maniac

New studio gear, advices.... :)

Hello....

I am planning to invest 25000$ in my new ''studio''.

I am producing electronic music, mostly vocal house, etc. Till now I worked all ITB. But now I would love to get benefit from OTB gear too. I would love to give some warm sound to my VSTi's. So, what do you suggest me to buy? If it's possible, I would go mixer less, but if it's neccesary to have one, please suggest one or two. Currently, I am using Mackie MR8's as my monitors, maybe some improvement on that field will help?

Also, I've been using Cubase last 8 years, I love the new 5 version. But, as I see most of the ''better'' studios have MacPro's and Logic, only hype or it is really that better than pc + Cubase? I also have the UAD2 Quad, love the sound of it's plug-in's, but again, wanna know if my mixes will benefit if I support them with some outboard gear!!!

Btw, I wanna get my hands on Virus TI2, so count it in that 25000$.

Of course, I would need some mic's for vocals and for clean electric, acoustic and bass guitar, so....suggestions for mic's, preamps, etc....?

Every tip is welcome....so which audio interface (maybe RME Fireface 800?), converters, mixer (if really necessary), channel strips, compressors, saturators, etc....?

Thank you very much!!!
Old 9th February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomcore View Post
Hello....

I am planning to invest 25000$ in my new ''studio''.

I am producing electronic music, mostly vocal house, etc. Till now I worked all ITB. But now I would love to get benefit from OTB gear too. I would love to give some warm sound to my VSTi's. So, what do you suggest me to buy? If it's possible, I would go mixer less, but if it's neccesary to have one, please suggest one or two. Currently, I am using Mackie MR8's as my monitors, maybe some improvement on that field will help?

Also, I've been using Cubase last 8 years, I love the new 5 version. But, as I see most of the ''better'' studios have MacPro's and Logic, only hype or it is really that better than pc + Cubase? I also have the UAD2 Quad, love the sound of it's plug-in's, but again, wanna know if my mixes will benefit if I support them with some outboard gear!!!

Btw, I wanna get my hands on Virus TI2, so count it in that 25000$.

Of course, I would need some mic's for vocals and for clean electric, acoustic and bass guitar, so....suggestions for mic's, preamps, etc....?

Every tip is welcome....so which audio interface (maybe RME Fireface 800?), converters, mixer (if really necessary), channel strips, compressors, saturators, etc....?

Thank you very much!!!
I can help you with this. Send the money to my paypal account and I'll go shopping for you........lol

Hm where to start? You can definitely go mixer less. That's what I do. Every now and then it'd be nice but you can get by without it. Look into a monitoring control system like the Mackie Big Knob or the Presonus Monitor Station (the one I use). These will give you analog control of the volume and headphone mixes, multiple inputs, etc.

If you really like PC and are comfortable with it there is no reason to not stick with it. All the DAWs do the same stuff pretty much. It's a matter of preference and workflow...if you are that comfortable with Cubase and have no complaints don't worry about it. Maybe upgrade or build a new PC though? Don't know what kind of system you run. The one thing about Mac things is that they come all set up and ready to roll, but if you know what ur doing on PC you can customize it just fine.

New monitors, microphones, compressors...so many options with 25k! I can't tell you what interface, I'll leave that to someone else. I have a Digi 002 interface (BLA modded though!), so that's all I know but I know there are better ones out there.

For outboard gear, there's just so many options. I'm sure others will weigh in. Find the mic that fits your (or the singers) voice best. But the gold standard is generally the U87. I'd get a distressor for a compressor, very versatile. Maybe a Neve Portico preamp. Especially if you only need one or two channels of recording at the same time, you can really get classy.

However, there are SO many options, I hate to get too specific. good luck!
Old 9th February 2010
Look into Dangerous music products. The D-box is a summing amp that will add some analog warmth to your digital mix.
Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

25k for one decent vocal chain right? Youre not recording anything but vocals right?

Antelope audio isochrone OCX word clock, $1300.
Antelope isochrone 10m $6000. (maybe not)
Universal audio 2192 AD/DA converter $3k
Purple 1176 compressor $1600
Distressor w british mod $1400
Neuman U87 $3000
Sony c800g $7500 (maybe not this either lol)
api lunchbox $400
api 512c pre $700
Purple Biz pre $700
A designs P1 pre $700
Great River MP500 pre $700
Api 550b EQ $1000
A Designs EMPQ $1300
Barefoot monitors $7500 (very pricey!)
Acoustic treatment $1000

woops... $38,800
Maybe lose some of the overkill pieces

Key points for house music, which from what I understand is 90% ITB, converters, proper clocking, and monitoring will be your friend. Is it just your voice that you are recording or several? 500 series pres would make it easy for you to get a lot of different flavors, one of each. API's lunchbox can hold 6 or 10.
An 1176 and distressor can really cover any type of compression and vibe youd ever want.
Youve got quite the budget! Have fun and don't rush into it!

Old 9th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Hey...

Thanks for answer!!!

25k $ is not only for vocal chain....I want it to be for mixing tracks, recording of 1 female vocal and elec/bass/ac guitar....one per time, don't need to record all of it at once at all.

That means, I would like to mix ITB but with some use of outboard gear to give my sound a bit of warmth, possibly without mixer, but as I stated if it's necessary to have one, please, suggest one.... And of course, for recording as I mentioned above.
Old 9th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Anyone?
Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

I'd consider these 5 categories:

1)
Mics:
I'd get a used U87 (maybe an old one..), or a Violet Design Amethyst Vintage (or a Globe Vintage), and a BeesNeez Arabella (you will have a lot of bases covered with those mics for vocals)...you could always "experiment" in the future with other mics like a coles 4038 and an sm7 i.e... but those will get a great foundation where to start.

2)
Preamps:
Considering seriously:
Aurora Audio GTQ2 and an Avedis MA5 (500 series) with a lunchbox, you could always add different "colors" later, and maybe a preamp on the clean side like a Buzz or an Hardy.. or you might like a tube one..
other great preamps to consider are Great River NV series, the juggernaut twin, which will give you different tones..

3)
Compressors and EQ:
UA1176, or maybe a EL fatso, or an LA2A.. I think you could do 95% of your work with those
maybe an API2500 on the mixbuss?
EQ's..: I'd get an Avedis E27 and a Electrodyne 511..but this a long list
from 3.5k 'til...?

4)
Converters:
Consider the Aurora, the SSL or a modded Alesis HD24XR by Jim Williams.. depending on how many channels do you need, and what will your workflow be..
from 2k 'til 3,5k

5)
Mixer:
If you want to mix OTB I'd consider a Soundcraft Delta modded by Jim Williams, the faders are spectacular and it sounds great...it's one of the best bang for the buck you could get out there these days.. or some studers like the 900 serie or the 169.. depending the channels that you need..
3 or 4k depending on the channels..maybe less?

6)
Room: (last but definitely not least)
treat your room..very important..
from 0 'til 3k (depending how it already sounds)

7)
Monitors:
I'd consider a pair of Focal CMS 65 with the CMS sub, or a pair of Focal Solo6...or the Barefoot MM35 (I don't know your room though, but those are great speakers IMO)
4k 'til 5,5k

Of course YOU have to audition the gear, you might like some stuff and dislike some others...Try to get some used stuff if it's possible..
You'll discover that you probably need less stuff to begin...but I think that with this list you're more or less around 25k
Even if you pick only one item from this list you'll have a great home studio

I hope this helps
just my 0,02$,
Bests

Cheu
Old 9th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Thank you very much man, this helps a lot!!! :D thumbsup

If someone else has suggestion, please write!!!
Old 9th February 2010
You have all the money waiting, or are you taking up a loan?

Personally I would not take up a loan for the studio, but I dont know how your economic situation is, especially regarding your musical life (is it work or hobby?)

Anyways.

I would start with the acoustic treatment. I would probably put alot of the money for a studio-space with several rooms, so you could seperate tracking and control-room.

Then I would get an acoustician to come and measure, and be certain to treat both rooms as good as possible.

Then good monitors. Id love to get fullrange monitors if the space allowed it. If not, Focal twins or Barefoots are great choices.

Then I would get a good converter and a good pc (intel i7 based if your not there yet).

Then Id get a few choice pieces of gear. I dont have much experience with pre`s and mics, but for compression and modulation duties Id get the Soundtoys bundle, the Softube stuff plus an Eventide H8000 and maybe an UBK Fatso (plus maybe a buscomp).

No use in getting lots of fancy gear if you cant trust your room!

Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragletrollet View Post
Personally I would not take up a loan for the studio, but I dont know how your economic situation is, especially regarding your musical life (is it work or hobby?)

I would start with the acoustic treatment. I would probably put alot of the money for a studio-space with several rooms, so you could seperate tracking and control-room.

Then I would get an acoustician to come and measure, and be certain to treat both rooms as good as possible.

No use in getting lots of fancy gear if you cant trust your room!

+1!
It all depends the level of the room you're in right now.. a good acoustician could cost some bucks, but is usually worthed (if the room needs treatment)..
for saving some bucks you could build the treatment yourself.. and doing some major works yourself..

bests,

Cheu
Old 14th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Avalon 737 SP or AMS Neve 8801 as premic?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search