The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Macbook Pro for live sound situation Audio Interfaces
Old 8th February 2010
Gear Nut

Macbook Pro for live sound situation

I have added a couple of Mandala pads to my drumset, they are multi-zone electronic drum pads, I am using Battery 3 software and all is working great.

I still have my first interface ( Alesis I/O 26) and was using that for my sound output and headphones, but I could only get the latency down to 10ms. I have found that by just running out of the Macbook Pro I am able to get it down to 3-4 ms.

The problem is, I need a way to get it to a mixing console and into my headphones and there is only one output. I thought about running into a 2 ch. direct box and then send the signal to the console and to a headphone amp.

Anybody have any better ideas on this?
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

apogee duet should have a good latency... a di-box woudl also work, yes!
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

Transformered split box would do this for you just fine fif you wanted to keep things balanced to your headphone amp. Otherwise a couple DIs would be fine.

Radial makes some impedance-matching boxes that might do all this for you.
Old 8th February 2010
Gear Maniac

And why don't just send the output of the MacBook to the main console(or to the the monitor console, if you're using one) and have the Battery samples returned to your headphones with the rest of your monitor mix?
Old 8th February 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlock View Post
And why don't just send the output of the MacBook to the main console(or to the the monitor console, if you're using one) and have the Battery samples returned to your headphones with the rest of your monitor mix?
I did think about that but the thing that scares the hell out of me is the possibility of a bad monitor mix.
Old 8th February 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVogi View Post
apogee duet should have a good latency... a di-box woudl also work, yes!
I have thought about the Apogee, you think it would get down to 3-5 ms, that is a nice little interface from what I have read and its made for Mac.

Yorke
Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

I'd get a little optical --> analogue box and use your MBP's optical out. Forget drivers and induced latency. Jim Williams posted a while ago about a great little DAC for $79. Would just need to glue a spdif optical --> coax adapter somewhere on it.

The MBP's sound output isn't really suited for what you are using it for. A better DAC will sound better than the MBP headphone out. For live, though, you don't need a super-expensive DAC. It's just live sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search