The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me choose an amp!!!
Old 21st October 2005
Lives for gear

Help me choose an amp!!!

I run Tannoy Reveal Passive as my 2nd pair at home. I used to power them with a regular Hi-Fi amp. However this amp is needed somewhere else now.

So what am I gonna get for those speakers???
Can anyone recommend an amp please?

The cheaper, the better. Preferably something i could get of ebay...

Thanks
Old 21st October 2005
studio standard is a Bryston 4B... if you wanna go high end, get a Krell or Mark Levinson
Old 21st October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd world order
studio standard is a Bryston 4B... if you wanna go high end, get a Krell or Mark Levinson
ok, but thats not exactly cheap!
Im looking for something in a WAY lower price area. Its just Tannoy Reveals......
Old 21st October 2005
Gear Maniac

If you are looking for cheap - try a B&K ST202.

I have been A/Bing it with a Krell the past few days and it holds up better than I expected. I am in the proess of of upgrading to a very high end ($$$$$) power amp in the near future so it will be interesting to A/B it against that as well.

good luck

Craig
Old 21st October 2005
Lives for gear

I just got 2 4B's today at a studio auction for 500 each. Look around and you can find them for a great price.
Old 21st October 2005
Lives for gear

Adcom GFA-535. Or 535-II. Or 535-II/L... also 545, etc. Any of these can usually be found on ebay for <$200. I love the old "t" series Carvers, but they do have some very slight transformer hum. Great sound for the price, around $300 or so. NAD can be decent. I just sold a bunch of old Haflers, I didn't care for that soft sound.

Steve
Old 21st October 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg
ok, but thats not exactly cheap!
Im looking for something in a WAY lower price area. Its just Tannoy Reveals......
if you go cheap make sure you get a lot of power. I went cheap and got a used Meyer MS-1000A sound reinforcement amp for $800. 1000 watts a side.. i use it with B&W hifi speakers, NS-10s, and an Auratone bridged in mono.. all switched with a cheap ADCOM 3 channel speaker switcher. It all works reasonably well and the whole setup was cheaper than my old Genelec 1031As.

I do think amp headroom matters a lot and that it's harder to blow speakers with a powerful clean amp.. it's less likely to clip and put out square waves
Old 21st October 2005
Here for the gear

I 'd suggest a hafler p3000 or used Bryston 3BSST.
Old 21st October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug
Adcom GFA-535. Or 535-II. Or 535-II/L... also 545, etc. Any of these can usually be found on ebay for <$200.
Thats exactly the price range I'm looking for.
I didn't find any Adcom here in the UK. Neither did I find any Meyer.

The only brands (in my price range) I found in UK stores were:

Alesis and Samson

NADs all looked liked regular HIFI amps. Not that I would mind, I'm just not sure if those were the models you were talking about:

Like this one:

Old 21st October 2005
Gear Nut

I'm interested in this as well. We in the UK don't seem to have a great choice of amps - Bryston is WAAAAY to expensive over here (I get the feeling Bryston amps are significantly cheaper in the US), and the Alesis and Samson models don't exactly inspire confidence. Another option would be the Hafler P3000 (£600 ex. VAT from KMR).

fish
Old 21st October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
Another option would be the Hafler P3000 (£600 ex. VAT from KMR).

fish
Yeah, looks like the amp situation in the UK is quiet different to the USA.
Those Hafler are probably great but in my particular case they are too expensive.
Max 150 Pounds would be perfect.
Old 21st October 2005
Lives for gear

Sorry Jorg, I missed that you are in UK. I don't know how common used Adcom would be there, but quite available in US. Yes, NAD is hi-fi, some models are likely better than others, but overall a good reputation. Those Adcoms and NAD are low power, but very good sound quality.

re the huge power headroom -- I agree with that for most standard power amp/speaker situations. Always best to prevent clipping, as long as you don't go the other way and blow them up!

But for nearfield monitoring with the little Tannoys I don't think that's the most critical requirement, I believe quality of sound at a reasonable level is more important. I'm actually using a 25 wpc McIntosh tube amp for my PMC monitors, can easily get absolutely clean 105+ dB from that.

I've not used the Alesis/Samson/etc. For a good price/quality ratio I believe the used market is your only choice. If you can't get Adcom, Carver, or NAD, maybe consider used Ashly (MOSFET), QSC, Yamaha, or Crown.

Steve
Old 21st October 2005
T9c
Gear Maniac

I have a pair of Reveals running through a Hafler TA1600. Sounds good for low-dough monitoring. Unfortunately, they're out of business now. You should be able to ebay one for cheap.

Rick
Old 22nd October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T9c
I have a pair of Reveals running through a Hafler TA1600. Sounds good for low-dough monitoring. Unfortunately, they're out of business now. You should be able to ebay one for cheap.

Rick
I had a look. There is a chance here in the UK to get that amp. It's kinda rare though. I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks for the tip.
Old 22nd October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPhilbeck
I've got this powering my reveals

http://www.jolida.com/catalogue/models/jd1501.shtml
What'S the price tag on that thing?
Old 22nd October 2005
Lives for gear

I just got a hafler 1600 for $150 at AMS.

i like it so far, but of course i can't afford a REAL nice one to compare.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item-...%20TA1600.html
Old 22nd October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_who
I just got a hafler 1600 for $150 at AMS.

i like it so far, but of course i can't afford a REAL nice one to compare.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item-...%20TA1600.html
Jeeeeezuz!!!
Whats with the prices here in the UK????
I found one used for 440$ and one used on ebay for 240$ and there are still 3 1/2 days to go.
look here

The shop u posted, offers international shipping. I might be cheaper buying it new there (incl int. shipping rates and customs) than buying one used in the UK.

The prices here are well f***ed up!!!

dfegad UK price tags
Old 22nd October 2005
Lives for gear

I've had my Bryston 4B for 12 years now and it's STILL under warranty and sounds great.
Don't skimp here unless you're mointoring for post.
Remember the chain is only.................blah, blah.............

Solid as a rock ( or a Chevy?)
chap.

or get powered monitors.
Old 22nd October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap
I've had my Bryston 4B for 12 years now and it's STILL under warranty and sounds great.
Don't skimp here unless you're mointoring for post.
Remember the chain is only.................blah, blah.............

Solid as a rock ( or a Chevy?)
chap.

or get powered monitors.
Good point. But these Tannoys are my 2nd pair. I use them with a 15'' Tannoy sub. Unfortunately the sub powers only itself. My main pair are Genelec 8040s.
That's why I don't wanna spend too much money on an amp for the Tannoys. The Hafler for 150$ looks like a great deal.
Old 22nd October 2005
Lives for gear

Oddly, I use my Bryston to power my Tannoy Little Golds. Great combo.
My main monotrs are Adams S3A's but it's nice to have a different sound to check things.
The Bryston will hold it's value whereas anothe power amp will not.
just my 2cents,
best,
chap
Old 14th March 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg
Jeeeeezuz!!!
Whats with the prices here in the UK????
I found one used for 440$ and one used on ebay for 240$ and there are still 3 1/2 days to go.
look here

The shop u posted, offers international shipping. I might be cheaper buying it new there (incl int. shipping rates and customs) than buying one used in the UK.

The prices here are well f***ed up!!!
BUMP! Do the Hafler TA-1600 have a "universal power supply"? I.e. can I use an amp purchased from the US-dealer above in Europe (220-240V/50Hz).

I'd also use it to power a pair of tannoy reveals.. looking for alternatives.

edit: found the manual online. careful inspection of the back panel illustration reveals "115V, 60Hz" so no go. back to the drawing board..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search