The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mytek stereo DAC now shipping
Old 28th May 2003
Gear Nut

Mytek stereo DAC now shipping

Mytek announced on their website that they're shipping their stereo DAC which uses the same converters as their 8x96 series.

http://www.mytekdigital.com/stereo96.htm

ADC will soon follow...both list at $995
Old 29th May 2003
Lives for gear

Wonder how it will stack up against the Benchmark DAC-1 and the Apogee MiniDAC? (All around same price...)
Old 30th May 2003
Gear Addict

we're talkin' mytek here! it oughtta blow the other two out of the water! $995... that is GREAT news! it's about time.

ml
Old 30th May 2003
Lives for gear

maybe, maybe not.

Historically, lots of high-end companies have experimented with budget-level units with mixed results. Sometimes they come up with a winner, but at least as often they are no better than the other units competing at the same price point. (The Lexicon budget reverbs is one example that comes to mind. The Neumann TLM193 and later the TLM 103 might be another.)

Everyone I know that has used the DAC-1 says it is unbelievable, especially at that price. How much more unbelievable can any sub-$1000 DAC be? Just because it has the Mytek name (admittedly a great pedigree) doesn't mean that they can turn lead into gold.

But I will concede, when someone like Mytek or Stephan Paul announces a "budget" unit, I know I will be very interested in how it turns out. Hey, if Massenburg or Cranesong or Weiss came out with a sub-$500 EQ or compressor, I'd certainly want to hear that as well. but a brand name alone doesn't mean it is guaranteed to blow everything else away.
Old 1st June 2003
Lives for gear

i was sure i'd get the benchmark adc1 when it is released, but the mytek could be a good option. i did order the dac1 and am waiting on it's arrival. i'm watching for other mytek comments, i hear more about benchmark for somre reason, but know that mytek is also a great pedigree. we'll see what they come up with.

i do think the tlm103 is damn useful and at least a solid performer at it's price point. with all the cheap mics floating around i think i'd rather use a tlm103 than some of the others. oh well, i'm on a tangent.
Old 2nd June 2003
There is only one

the only thing i would use a tlm103 for is to chuck it at the person who brought it in the studio.... what schwag.
Old 2nd June 2003
Lives for gear

i know the tlm103 ain't high end, i've used much better. i simply consider it usable cheap stuff. some of the cheap chinese mic's are really bad though.
Old 2nd June 2003
There is only one

i dont know what chinese mics you are talking about... but i found the tlm103 to be so void of any personality. i felt like i was micing an accountant.
Old 2nd June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
i dont know what chinese mics you are talking about... but i found the tlm103 to be so void of any personality. i felt like i was micing an accountant.
LMAO
Old 3rd June 2003
Lives for gear

great!!

yes, everytime i use it at the end of the session it has to work on my taxes for me.

Old 3rd June 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Keep in mind, if you're looking at the 2 ch. Mytek as a 'budget' box: if it's comparable to an 8X96 (which it most likely will be), it's $500 per channel while the 8X96 is $312.50 per channel. I don't know, maybe they added some extra features or a higher res. chipset? I have no need to check the specs, but it will be interesting to know. Then again, they might just be charging more per channel because they can, given what their competitors are asking.

I like my Myteks alot, but I'm not glued to them. If something just as good or better came along for the same price or less, I'd probably jump on it, if only to get more sonic variety.

I will say that the Myteks are an extremely good value for the money.
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
maybe, maybe not.
Everyone I know that has used the DAC-1 says it is unbelievable, especially at that price. How much more unbelievable can any sub-$1000 DAC be? Just because it has the Mytek name (admittedly a great pedigree) doesn't mean that they can turn lead into gold.
For all intentents and purposes, the DAC-1 is underpriced. If I were a betting man (which is rare heh) I'd take 100:1 odds that it's pricing was targeted to create a stir in the "recording world" where their name recognition was almost non-existant before the DAC-1. I'd say. That hurdle seems to have been cleared, bringing their AD into the limelight which is every bit as good as their DAC. Few in the recording world, realize that Benchmark has been manufacturing AD/DA for the past 10 years and extremely well respected in the broadcasting, classical and film world. ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, Lucas Films .. co's that can afford anything they want .. have 100's of Benchmark AD/DA.

Pounce:
From what I understand, the ADC-1 will have a little surprise that makes it well worth the wait. So you may want to hold off .... Allen (Pres.) simply won't release something befor it's ready
Old 7th June 2003
Here for the gear

Apogee MiniDAC vs BenchMark DAC1

I will actually wait for the MiniDAC (will be here in the next few weeks according to the Apogee website), from what I've heard this thing is utterly astonishing. Someone I know and respect for his sonic opinions and knowledge listened to the Benchmark DAC1 and Apogee MiniDACwhich he had a chance to beta-test.
Before doing the test he anticipated that it would be one of those 'both sound amazing' kind of listening tests wherebye both are so close that its hard to say anything meaningfull, nothing was less true. Altough the DAC1 indeed is amazing, it evaporated compared to MiniDAC. It was the difference of listening to an amazing recording versus really feeling and seeing the instrument in front of you.

Its kind of funny how the DAC1 works as well, they claim 100% jitter reduction, uhm well I opened one up for giggles and found they actually clock outputs with a crystal and use a samplerate converter. Anyway who cares how they do it if it sounds good I always think, nevertheless in this case the MiniDAC (which I havent seen myself yet, let alone opened up) seems to do the job noticeably better.
I haven't heard of anyone who has used the Mytek yet so that will be interesting in a shootout versus both DAC1 and MiniDAC.

So my 2 cents are if you can get a hold of a MiniDAC, DAC1, Mytek have a listening test, and let youre ears decide. For now I bet on Apogee's MiniDAC

KV
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Apogee MiniDAC vs BenchMark DAC1

Quote:
Originally posted by phase
Altough the DAC1 indeed is amazing, it evaporated compared to MiniDAC.

KV
well, i recently ordered a dac1 and i'm sure i'll be more than pleased. certainly the reviews have been steller.

as far as the above comparison, until i see real production units i know i'm not going to comment. while i appreciate the heads up and will check it all out, this amount of hyperbole strikes me as being unlikely or at least unwarranted in this type of comparison, and i'm still inclined to suspect the difference would have to be more subtle than that. i could surely believe they are both good units. i'm sure my ears will tell me.
Old 8th June 2003

Quote:
Its kind of funny how the DAC1 works as well, they claim 100% jitter reduction, uhm well I opened one up for giggles and found they actually clock outputs with a crystal and use a samplerate converter.
I'd like to know what you think a better approach is for jitter attenuation...

That's how the Mytek works as well. And virtually every other low-jitter DAC ever made for that matter.
Old 8th June 2003
Here for the gear

PLL's

As far as I've seen very few DACs actually use this technique. The fact that Benchmarks sort of explicitly markets this approach might accentuate that but well.
Most DAC's in fact use PLL's , which can vary greatly in quality and performance (one out of many factors making a difference between different products) that reduce jitter.
Maybe you are referring to the oversampling DAC chips which indeed are commonly used, the reasons for using that are not primarily jitterreduction and are in the realm of people who design the converter chips. The reason for this in fact is because a digital reconstruction filter is much easier to do than a brickwall analogue one.

Cheers KV
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

Re: PLL's

Quote:
As far as I've seen very few DACs actually use this technique. The fact that Benchmarks sort of explicitly markets this approach might accentuate that but well.
Both Manley and Mytek also market their converters this way, as upsampling converters. I'm very sorry that your friend didn't like the DAC1, but I guess there had to be somebody that didn't like it. Thanks.
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Nut

[QUOTE]Originally posted by phase
[B] It was the difference of listening to an amazing recording versus really feeling and seeing the instrument in front of you.

Oh great. Now I have to worry about someone feeling my instrument on my recordings. I never had this problem with analog. I feel so exposed.
Old 27th June 2003
Lives for gear

shouldn't we be closer to having the benchmark adc1 become a reality? can you tell i'm ready to buy my new ad converter ? got the dac1 and it lives up to it's expectations. now i have high hopes for the adc1.
Old 9th September 2003
Lives for gear

had anyone heard the comparison of Mytek stereo DAC and benchmark DAC1 from the Mytek site? I've downloaded the Ravel files and I can pick Mytek everytime. Benchmark sounds flatter to me (not freq. vise) while mytek has better clarity too. What did you find?

The question is: can I trust comparison made by Mytek? Can I evaluate hi quality converter on low end m-audio soundcard and pair of events 20/20? ;-)
Old 9th September 2003
Lives for gear

I think it would be really hard to trust a comparison like that unless you were intimately familiar with the source material...i.e. you were there when it was recorded. One could make the argument that the Benchmark is accurately portraying the material as what it really is while the Mytek is enhancing/coloring the sound in some subtle way that flatters the music. I don't know. Just something to think about.

Brad
Old 9th September 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad McGowan
I think it would be really hard to trust a comparison like that unless you were intimately familiar with the source material...i.e. you were there when it was recorded. One could make the argument that the Benchmark is accurately portraying the material as what it really is while the Mytek is enhancing/coloring the sound in some subtle way that flatters the music. I don't know. Just something to think about.
Brad
good point ... I find it hard to bekieve tha the Benchamark sounds flat (relativly speaking) with what that I've heard coming out of the DAC-1 for quite some time now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search