The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which "turntable" to get?
Old 26th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yup, anyone whose ever tried to drive one of those up a long crescendo knows how WAY underpowered they are.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
Yup, anyone whose ever tried to drive one of those up a long crescendo knows how WAY underpowered they are.
Word!

****, I just broke character.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i have an old (self restored because it was broken) belt drive technics SL-D202 wich does sound way better than the sl1200 i had before. It just has a Shure 44-7 cel and for the rest it's restored to full original specs.

I've got it almost for free (swapped it for an old not used Siemens crt television without remote) and it does a great job. I've seen those on our local variation of craighlist for 25 till 100€ (depending on the condition) second hand...

other good not to expensive belt drive tt's are those old from Lenco, Dual and Denon. They may not be popular in the 'hi fi' audiophile scene, but they do a more than decent job for little bucks and beat a sl1200 anytime when in good condition and with a good cel/needle.

But if you got a lot of money to spend, there are better option altough (see posts above)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
cel?? are you talking about cartridge?

and the term is "stylus" not "needle"-- which is something you sew or shoot up with. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
cel?? are you talking about cartridge?

and the term is "stylus" not "needle"-- which is something you sew or shoot up with. heh
it seems that names differ depending on where you live. Cell and needle are often used in the UK and belgium (needle becomes 'naald' in dutch wich means the same, cell stays the same) for what you in the us seems to call cartridge and stylus, so that's why i use it. But if it helps, yes that's what i ment.

anyway ...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have been buying vinyl playback kit for close on 40 years. First 20 years of which I went through 7 TTs from the likes of Dual, Linn, Garrard, Thorens. They all broke or didn't really work very well.

Then 20 years ago I bought a pair of Technics 1210s. Still going strong and with a couple hours work would scrub up like new.

Stick with the standard. It makes sense.

The belt drive automatically sounds better vs direct drive was largely the product of an over enthusiastic salesman's logic. In reality there are good and bad examples of both. Actually nowadays the lot of hi-fi type shops have changed their tune and now recommend 1210 themselves.

Possibly because they have found they can sell 4" square metal plates for $150 dollars - and a $1,000 arm to go with it. Some places now even do the 'replace all wiring with silver' and 'separate out the power supply' type upgrades. So you can spend as much as you want.

I use a standard Stanton 500AL MM for playing out and rough handling, a Denon DL-103 MC for everyday listening and a AudioTechnica 440MLa MM in a special heavier headshell for ripping to FLAC.
📝 Reply