The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic Stand Still Blessed by Dan Kennedy
Old 28th May 2003
Gear Maniac

Mic Stand Still Blessed by Dan Kennedy

I just visited Dan Kennedy at Great River Electronics, to show him the latest and final version of the Latch Lake Mic Stand.

Dan has not seen the developoments over the last year, and I wanted to see if he approved of the changes.

I am very proud to say that Dan Kennedy does like the changes, and he still wants one.

All of the tooling has now been ordered, and we are starting to "gear" up for production, so we'll be ready as soon as the patent applications are approved.

wurly
Latch Lake Music
Old 28th May 2003
Gear Head

Photos please
Old 29th May 2003
Gear Guru

And more info.
Old 30th May 2003
Gear Maniac

cryptic info

This whole photos and info thing is kind of delicate as the patent applications haven't been submitted yet. So sorry, no photos yet.

The patent applications will be submitted shortly, the patent search was unusually long because the scope of the invention is rather broad and has aplications in several fields, including lighting and medical, as well as studio use. In a few months pictures can be shown. All of the tooling has been ordered.

This thing is no lightweight, the base weighs 28 pounds, and aside from being heavy, the base is unique enough to require a patent. And it has wheels.

The vertical part of the stand has three sections. The clutches between sections are unique and will be patented. The boom clutch is seriously unique and strong, and will be patented.

The boom has two sections, and will share the patented telescoping clutches used in the vertical section.

And there is another member of the family, a boom that can be clamped anywhere on the stand, with a boom clutch strong enough to hold an RCA 44BX. Not a new concept, but executed properly for the first time, with patented features.

The stand is strong enough that I can do chinups on it (and I weigh 185 pounds).

So in essence, what we have is a new concept for the base, as well as a new concept in telescoping clutches and a new concept in boom clutches. We're talking quantum leap in technology here.

Replace the clunky with the sublime. Replace slop with strength.

This gear was invented so that I could put one or several mics any where that I want, and have them stay there. No sag, No fear. Stronger and quicker to adjust. More stable than other stands. Sorry it's taking so long, but I hope that my fellow Gearslutz will appreciate the years of thought and hard work that went into this family of inventions.

At times I feel that I was destined to come up with this stuff. My Dad was a mold maker and musician.

I've been recording for 42 years, and involved in manufacturing metal hardware (and killer guitar slides) for 18 years. I saw all mic stand designs as problematic or deficient, and I was off and running.

Thanks for your patience,

wurly
Latch Lake Music
Old 30th May 2003
Gear Nut

Sounds revolutionary! What will be the asking price?
Old 31st May 2003
Gear Addict

Re: cryptic info

Quote:
Originally posted by wurly
The stand is strong enough that I can do chinups on it (and I weigh 185 pounds)
-----------------------------
I saw all mic stand designs as problematic or deficient, and I was off and running.
That's really quite impressive!
I'm a drummer, and I've used cymbal stand bases for importand micing duties for years, but still find that they can tend to twist alot when the boom is stretched out and the mic is at a funny angle, I look forward to seeing your ideas, good luck with it all!
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Maniac

The patent application check is in the mail

The patent man said that all of our unique features look patentable so I sent him a check.

That starts the process. As soon as the application is sent to the patent office and the claims are accepted (not necessarily an automatic thing), legal protection begins, and I can start releasing photos.

The mic stand world will never be the same.

Oh yeah, for the price curious, it's still too soon to talk. All I can say is, more than an Atlas, less than a Starbird. Obviously we will sell more if the price is closer to the Atlas end of things, but we will not cut quality to achieve that goal.

Fingers crossed, foot tapping.

wurly
Latch Lake music

PS: We tried cymbal stands for mic stands three years ago as our first exercise since they are better built than most mic stands. But we don't like standard tripod bases and compared to our real invention, they are not strong enough, are too hard to adjust, and don't go high enough.
Old 14th May 2005
Lives for gear

Are you guys actually selling these now?
Old 14th May 2005
Lives for gear

I think I may have seen your handywork by camp-fire light about a month ago.
Happy to hear your idea is coming to fruition. How's the vintage keyboard collection going? Best of luck in your ventures. JimC (the X-vintage keyboard player).
Old 14th May 2005
Gear Guru

wurly is a long time poster who has contributed to many threads on a variety of subjects and who clearly identifies his affiliation in his sig.

to me spam is when a dealer or salesman posts under an assumed name as a 'civilian' and says "wassup dawgs, I want to tell you all about this awesome product I found"
Old 14th May 2005
This stand is awesome....

I had no idea this existed. I will begin saving now.

Thanks for heads up.

Chris
Old 14th May 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPhilbeck
He is! And I'm looking forward to his new mic stand!
sorry Robert, I missed the heh !
Old 14th May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora
Are you guys actually selling these now?
Did you read the whole thread before you posted? He's not even showing pictures of them yet, so obviously they aren't being sold.
Old 14th May 2005
Gear Guru

Sounds awesome. I am so sick of sagging boom stands. I tighten to the point of breaking the t-handles and the mics are still going down, down, down. This thing sounds like just the ticket. thumbsup
Old 14th May 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecastr
Did you read the whole thread before you posted? He's not even showing pictures of them yet, so obviously they aren't being sold.

that post was made in 2003.
Old 14th May 2005
Lives for gear

My bad. (tail between legs). I guess I should have read the thread a little better.

They seem to be for sale on his website.

http://latchlakemusic.com/products/mk-features.asp
Old 15th May 2005
Gear Nut

How are the Atlas boom stands?

$822 is quite a grip for a stand.
Old 15th May 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck

Wooah. I think I'll take my $35 cheapie and weld it into place.
Old 15th May 2005
Lives for gear

I just purchased one of these: http://mercenary.com/onststhexbas.html from my local dealer and I'm really happy with it. I'm sure there are better stands out there, but for the price I think they're unrivaled. I can hang any mic I own with confidence.

-Z-
Old 15th May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck

It is.. but on the other hand I find it amazing that people go long ways to make the best mic stand possible.
Old 15th May 2005
Jai guru deva om

They wouldn't be building them if there were no market for them.

War
Old 17th May 2005
Gear Addict

micKing™ update

The first actual production models of the micKing™ mic stand will ship in the first week of June. Huzzah.

The price is not $822. (Note to self: correct price in website)

Production was delayed by many factors, principal among them a profound lack of cash caused by indirect 9/11 effects, and a shortage of labor in-house to refine the invention caused by the afforementioned lack of cash.

We are now at a stage in the patent process where pictures can be posted.

Our sales have now recovered, and staff has been added to make parts and do the final assembly work. Since first being introduced at AES New York, several refinements have been made.

The boom clutch on the micKing™ is even stronger than before. The microphone end now has the extra long easy-spin knurled holder suggested by Fletcher. The boom tubes incorporate a suggestion made by Micheal Wagener. The Xtra™ Boom has a much stronger boom clutch, as well as an added spring to make it easier to attach and detach, and an optional counterweight requested by Fletcher.

We will be showing all of our goodies at the TapeOp Conference in June, and at AES in October. The "Virtual Studio" at TapeOp will feature our products in use on a drum kit or two, and in other applications.

More photos will be added to the website shortly. I'm currently recording a DW kit with seven toms using three micKing stands with Xtra Booms holding a total of 12 microphones. It's a mighty clean and discrete setup.

And FWIW, wurly aka Slideguy is actually me.
Old 17th May 2005
Gear Nut

Sounds good!
I am in the market for a top notch stand. Expensive mics desirve to be on a solid stand.
Old 18th May 2005
member no 666

We have a plethora of "On Stage" stands in our joint... most of the shorter "AKG" type boom stand variety and two of the larger ones. They are absolute pieces of **** as far as stands go... but hey, for the money they keep the mics off the floor and we walked into it realizing that in the long run they were going to be WAY more expensive than getting real stands like the AKG's but we were cash poor in that department and decided to go with quantity over quality.

However, we have a couple of the Xtra-booms [or whatever they're called] and one of the big stands. I also have a huge RCA stand and a real live "Starbird".

The Latchlake stand is just behind the "Starbird", ahead of the RCA and eats the "On Stage" crap for breakfast and ****s it out before lunch.

As the "On Stage" crap breaks [which it will, and during the most inconvenient of times] we will replace them with AKG stands and Latchlakes... the "Starbird", etc. will also be replaced by the Latchlakes.

The latching system, the "once you set it up you'll think you welded the fukker into place" nature of the Latchlake, plus the very high grade materials used and the quality of the workmanship in construction make these a "must have" in my book... in this case, Your Mileage Most Likely Will Not Vary... and if it does, that's your problem.

Peace.
Old 18th May 2005
"Latch the way - ah huh uh huh I liiiiiiike it ah huh uh huh"

Old 18th May 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
Your Mileage Most Likely Will Not Vary... and if it does, that's your problem.

L.O.L.

Classic Fletcher. heh
Old 18th May 2005
Lives for gear

On stage is garbage. I use K&M, which is think is the same as the AKG stands. They're OK, but obviously not high $$ stands.
Old 18th May 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
...They are absolute pieces of **** as far as stands go...
...As the "On Stage" crap breaks [which it will, ...
... in this case, Your Mileage Most Likely Will Not Vary... and if it does, that's your problem...
Fletcher, your website says this:

"you'll be hard pressed to find a solid metal base, rolling boom stand of this quality for this price."

It also says:

"just because it's cheap don't make it crap"

So which is it?

-Craig
Old 18th May 2005
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by midigod
Fletcher, your website says this:

"you'll be hard pressed to find a solid metal base, rolling boom stand of this quality for this price."
$160 USD for a stand the size of the large "On Stage" with the metal base, wheels and extendable boom is indeed pretty damn inexpensive... you will indeed be hard pressed to find something like that for $160-... and they're actually pretty good.

Comparing one to a Latchlake is like comparing a BMW to a Hyundai... at which point you have to say that the Hyundai isn't a bad car for the money... much like the big "On Stage" boom stands don't suck.

Quote:
It also says:

"just because it's cheap don't make it crap"

So which is it?
It's both. The one's I was talking about as being "crap" were the small tripod boom stands that we don't sell but were like $18/dozen [joking, but somewhere in that vicinity].

There is quite a range of product from "On Stage" http://www.onstagestands.com/On-Stag...Microphone.pdf we bought the cheapest, ****tiest ones we could find for our normal studio mic stands and will indeed replace them over time with good ones... however, the big booms, and some of their regular stands are actually pretty cool.

They have one set of stands for live use that have a midpoint clutch that is brutally useful... we don't have those either but they're pretty fukkin' cool.

Sorry I wasn't clearer in my previous description... my bad.
Old 18th May 2005
Gear Addict

Public Apology

Rather than being called out for SPAMMING, (which was done in a most civil and creative fashion) it seems that I am even more guilty of shamelessly using and abusing Dan Kennedy's name and goodwill two years ago when I started and titled this thread. Therefore I would like to acknowlege that I was out of line in capitalizing on Dan's well-earned reputation and stature in the industry to call attention to my mic stand on GearSlutz.

Dan is a great designer and an even nicer human being. I can't do enough for him, but I try. I am priveliged to call him a friend.

I hope that I've learned my lesson.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search