The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API pcb colors?? 500 Series Preamps
Old 3rd February 2010
Gear Maniac

API pcb colors??

just curious as to whether there is any significance in the different pcb colors used on API 512c pres. I recently bought a second 512c and noticed that the board was bluish, whereas my other 512c is definitely green. do the colors denote any difference in the modules or their production?
Old 3rd February 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVeganDude View Post
just curious as to whether there is any significance in the different pcb colors used on API 512c pres. I recently bought a second 512c and noticed that the board was bluish, whereas my other 512c is definitely green. do the colors denote any difference in the modules or their production?
Different PCB colors in API gear means nothing other than different vendors for PCB's (who we bought the boards from). We did ask a board vendor to go to the blue PCB's a while back, but when troubleshooting a board, finding the traces on a blue board is much more difficult than on the green boards. The board material is the same, the copper traces are the same, the only difference is the color. We have now gone back to the green PCB's just about everywhere.
Old 3rd February 2010
TRA
Lives for gear

It's also pretty difficult to find shorts caused by solder blobs on opaque boards. The standard green or even plain copper clad can be held up to light to see through it and find broken traces or shorted pads.
Old 3rd February 2010
Gear Maniac

awesome. I thought there was no big difference, but it never hurts to ask. thanks!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search