The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How do you mix down to 2t and why do you use what you do.
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Can people post what their mixdown technique is ? What is your signal chain to 2 tr? Do you mix to DAW, tape, Masterlink, CD, something else ? ect... Please say why you prefer your technique over others, thanks !
Old 2nd February 2010
RTR
Lives for gear

I was wondering the same thing. I am thinking about getting the Masterlink and would like to know if other people that use it like it and why!
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

I just run all of my tracks through an empty bus to a stereo track in the same session.

If the song is going to be on its own I put some goodies on its inserts to polish it up and then bounce it to disc as a wav or mp3 file. If the tune is intended for an 'album' I import that stereo track to a 'Master Session' to polish it up with its track mates.

Now let's hear from someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
I just run all of my tracks through an empty bus to a stereo track in the same session.

If the song is going to be on its own I put some goodies on its inserts to polish it up and then bounce it to disc as a wav or mp3 file. If the tune is intended for an 'album' I import that stereo track to a 'Master Session' to polish it up with its track mates.

in other words you mix back to your DAW ?
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
We mix to tape usually via the Neotek. Normally the MCI or to Nagra.

We also use masterlink to mix occasionally.

We normally transfer the mix from tape to Masterlink via Mytek to send to the ME.

We prefer tape for mix. Masterlink is nice. It sounds best with a good converter (like mytek) in front of it.
Do you use any of the processing functions on the Masterlink ?
Old 3rd February 2010
Out from my console to Apogee converters to masterlink.
Old 3rd February 2010
Masterlink here straight from my DA7. Used to be Ampex and MCI ATR's, then it was DATs, then it was high priced specialty CD burners, then it was low cost CD burners and sometimes direct to computer, now it's the Masterlink, it's a great machine.
Old 3rd February 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post

Lol
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot View Post
Mix out from analog board into stereo track in DAW, then export file formats as desired.

If the mix is going to a mastering house, I don't put anything on it.

If not, I'll run it through a touch of compression, and something like Massey L2007 (mix into stereo Aux with plugs inserted, Aux output to stereo audio track).
OK......

So here is a question........

Right now I'm mixing onto a stereo track and putting any optional goodies on those inserts to be bounced to disc.

I wonder if I would get a cleaner bounce by printing those effects to said track via stereo aux before the bounce.
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

from desk to DAT (sometimes with a compressor in between)
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

desk to DAT???? People still use DAT? I'm just curious, is there a functional reason for doing so?

I just spent so much of the 90's getting DAT tapes eaten and clogged heads and just generally annoyed with DAT that it now seems like a bad dream....
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

yes I am wondering about the DAT thing too. Are they older units? how many bits ?
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRockit View Post
Can people post what their mixdown technique is ? What is your signal chain to 2 tr? Do you mix to DAW, tape, Masterlink, CD, something else ? ect... Please say why you prefer your technique over others, thanks !
ATR-102, mostly.
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot View Post
I can't really say. I don't BTD for several reasons, and I know there are people who don't trust it, which is a whole other debate I won't wade into.

Why don't you try both ways and do the null test?
Yeah...I think I will.

Happy with the results I'm getting, though, so not a big deal.
Old 3rd February 2010
Gear Addict

I come out of PT with three stereo stems and two mono tracks (eight channels total), through my DA converters, sum in a D-Box, then run the summing output through whatever mix buss processing I'm using, back through the converters (AD), and into a Masterlink. I monitor the Masterlink in record mode during the final mixdown, so I know exactly what's going to "tape." It works well for me!
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

I usually mix into or through the MasterLink in order to keep the mix from converters(apogee). If I mix through the Masterlink, I will record to two tracks in my DAW, (DP7).

Bryant - Hames Music
Old 4th February 2010
Gear Nut

Hi, total hobbiest here, but have found sending out single tracks from logic to Metric Halo uln2 and summing/mixing in their software gives me the best results. Have a Midas desk too, but love the recall of software, though not the screen work.
Old 4th February 2010
Lives for gear

Anybody mix from a console into a Tascam DV-RA 1000HD? Are you using converters in front of the Tascam or just going into the unit?
Old 4th February 2010
Gear Maniac

I mix to a Masterlink thru a dbx Quantum or to an Ampex 440. Tape is niice and I like razor blades.
I also sometimes use a Sony R 700 for a front end to the Masterlink. the Sony has some of the best converters I've used.

Derek Studios
Old 4th February 2010
Lives for gear

Layayette.
GT
Attached Thumbnails
How do you mix down to 2t and why do you use what you do.-lafayetterecorderopen.jpg  
Old 4th February 2010
Lives for gear

wow so many Masterlink users ! seems they cornered the market as a mixdown box. I guess its handy of you want to record a 44.1 session to 96 since you cant do that bouncing back to your DAW. Do you give the Masterlink file to a mastering guy ? Do you cut a CD yourself from the Masterlink and get it replicated?
Old 5th February 2010
KMC
Gear Head

Mixdown? What is that? haha everything gets done straight to 2 track on SADiE or Pyramix here... from small ensembles to mad musical extravaganzas!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search