The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Inline, Split or dual path inline consoles?
Old 2nd February 2010
Gear maniac

Inline, Split or dual path inline consoles?

Hi,
I am getting a bit confused with how these consoles differ, my understanding it that inline means that there is a separate fade on each channel specifically for monitoring on playback and split meant that you monitor back on different channels this way allowing volume changes while on playback without altering you input fader level.. am i on the right track.. if so, what the hell is dual path inline, i was looking at an amek Mozart console that is classified as dual path but i dont know what that means, i cant see two faders per channel on this thing.
can someone give a a nice clear explanation on each and the benefits of each..
thanks
thumbsupthumbsup
Old 3rd February 2010
Gear maniac

anyone??
Old 4th February 2010
Gear maniac

Man i thought i would have plenty on help on this one
Old 4th February 2010
Lives for gear

This just refers to the fact that each channel strip has two essential signal paths: the main channel path, and the monitor path. When recording, the main channel path usually accepts mic, instrument, or line level signals, and routes these signals to tracks on the multitrack recorder. The monitor path accepts tape/track signals back, via the tape returns, coming from the individual outputs on the multitrack. Some consoles also provide the option to monitor the multitrack sends (pre-recorder) in the monitor section, as opposed to tape returns, as well as the ability to toggle this feature. An example is the "ready group" function on the SSL.

-Ben B
Old 4th February 2010
Gear maniac

Cool, so i was on the right track, i was just confused because i though all inline desks had the second fader and hadn't seen the term Dual Path inline before but they are both the same thing??
Old 4th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Innocence View Post
Cool, so i was on the right track, i was just confused because i though all inline desks had the second fader and hadn't seen the term Dual Path inline before but they are both the same thing??
I'd like to see the context in which you encountered it, but usually the term "dual path" refers to a normal inline console, with the main channel path and monitor path available in the same I/O strip.

-Ben B
Old 4th February 2010
Lives for gear

Download online pdf's of console manuals. They will show/explain their signal flow. These options are all about how signal is moved thru the desk.
Old 4th February 2010
Lives for gear

Another way to look at it is this:
Ergonomics.
"In Line" or "Dual Path" consoles just moved the tape monitor form a seperate section (usually to the right of the master section), to the channel strips. This makes it easier for the engineer to stay in one position.

My personal feeling is that this occurred during the time when more engineers were taking on producer roles too.
Old 4th February 2010
Gear maniac

Amek Mozart on primal gear, it is described as dual path inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
I'd like to see the context in which you encountered it, but usually the term "dual path" refers to a normal inline console, with the main channel path and monitor path available in the same I/O strip.

-Ben B
Old 4th February 2010
Gear maniac

Isn't that a split console??

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsonic View Post
Another way to look at it is this:
Ergonomics.
"In Line" or "Dual Path" consoles just moved the tape monitor form a seperate section (usually to the right of the master section), to the channel strips. This makes it easier for the engineer to stay in one position.

My personal feeling is that this occurred during the time when more engineers were taking on producer roles too.
Old 4th February 2010
Gear maniac

Thats a good idea, cheers i was just hoping it would be a simple answer and i would have to spend ages ready through tech documents and manuals but it is prob the best thing to do... Stop being lazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Download online pdf's of console manuals. They will show/explain their signal flow. These options are all about how signal is moved thru the desk.
Old 4th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Innocence View Post
Isn't that a split console??
A split console had a seperate tape monitor section, usually to the right of the master section. That meant if you wanted to make an adjustment to input channel 1, you went to one end of the console. If you wanted to make an adjustment to tape monitor channel 1, you went to the other end.

In-line consoles simply put both signal paths on one module (or channel strip).
Old 5th February 2010
I could be wrong but maybe dual path refers to when the inline monitor is more complete, for instance On a D&R Cinemix or an Otari Concept One, essentially both paths have identical eq and either could send to a buss. On the Concept One what the paths share are the aux sends which are in pairs and can only be assigned to a path in pairs, for instance if the mix path uses aux 1+2 the channel path cannot, but can use what isn't being used by the mix path.
Whereas on a regular inline console the small fader path doesn't have it's own full eq usually it's a 2 or 3 band eq.
But like I said I could be wrong, I looked at the Primal Gear Site and that doesn't look like it's the case with the Mozart, I think that console was Cryptic Globe's I seem to recall that the small fader wasn't automated
Old 16th March 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I could be wrong but maybe dual path refers to when the inline monitor is more complete, for instance On a D&R Cinemix or an Otari Concept One, essentially both paths have identical eq and either could send to a buss. On the Concept One what the paths share are the aux sends which are in pairs and can only be assigned to a path in pairs, for instance if the mix path uses aux 1+2 the channel path cannot, but can use what isn't being used by the mix path.
Whereas on a regular inline console the small fader path doesn't have it's own full eq usually it's a 2 or 3 band eq.
But like I said I could be wrong, I looked at the Primal Gear Site and that doesn't look like it's the case with the Mozart, I think that console was Cryptic Globe's I seem to recall that the small fader wasn't automated
Just to clear the air on the confusion here, a true inline console uses groups to send the outputs of the channels to a multi‐track recorder. Each channel does not have its own individual output for tape, so groups MUST be used to send to tape. Most of these have been replaced with dual path inline consoles and are harder to find. A dual path inline console, or dual inline for short, is what we commonly incorrectly call an inline console these days. Instead of needing to use groups to send to tape, each channel has a separate output for sending to tape, and a separate input, called the monitor input, used for monitoring the signal post-tape/recorder. These are the defining factors of inline vs. dual path inline, but now-a-days you will be fine referring to them all as inline (no one uses true inline so they will assume you mean dual path inline).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search