The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
recording a Wurlitzer EP: tips/tricks?
Old 28th May 2003
Gear Nut

recording a Wurlitzer EP: tips/tricks?

Can't imagine a better place to raise this question. Curious how you guys approach this instrument. DI? Guitar amp? Mic the Wurly's internal speaker?

Thanks in advance...
Old 28th May 2003
Gear Maniac

recording a wurly

I use a hot-rodded 1962 Bassman head (modded for extra crunch) into a Fender 2x12 cabinet, and then mic it as if it was a guitar, using old Sennheiser 421's.

I'm interested to see how others approach this.

wurly

by the pond
Old 28th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Most of the time I record my model 200 with a Radila DI; the jack is one of the two on the bottom. Sometimes I'll run it into a Fender amp and mic that, and sometimes I'll put a mic in front of the Wurly speaker - that can be very cool.
Old 28th May 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
Most of the time I record my model 200 with a Radila DI; the jack is one of the two on the bottom. Sometimes I'll run it into a Fender amp and mic that, and sometimes I'll put a mic in front of the Wurly speaker - that can be very cool.
How about.... Anyone got an easy way to tune a Wurli or some sort of short cut?

Upon first blush, it looks entirely too complicated.

Mark
Old 28th May 2003
Gear Maniac

wurly shortcut for tuning

My shortcut was to buy one with perfect action that was already in tune. It cost me $800 from a Canadian (Winnipeg) broker, who delivered it personally, with no customs charges. Yes, I paid a premium price, but that baby is PERFECT, with no wear on the action, and verified in perfect tune by my piano tuner who put the old strobe on it.

I personally would seek out an experienced technician if I had to get one tuned or repaired. I'll work on Hammond wiring, but nobody but a pro will mess with the action or reeds or tines on my wurly or Rhodes.

Question for Dave Martin: Don't you get a lot of finger and keyboard noise when you mic the wurlitzer speaker?

wurly
Old 28th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Re: wurly shortcut for tuning

Quote:
Originally posted by wurly

Question for Dave Martin: Don't you get a lot of finger and keyboard noise when you mic the wurlitzer speaker?
Sure, but the only times I've done that I wasn't after any sort of pristine sound; the volume and the tremelo were cranked all the way up. In context with everything else, it worked fine.
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

Like Dave,
I've gotten a good sound miking the internal speaker...it was quiet and had to crank up preamp gain but a cool,useable sound...kinda gritty.
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

What about Rhodes Stage? I have no cab to mic and use cheap TL Audio FatMan as DI, getting usable, but not as focused result as I'd like to get. What DI would you use if you have no cab around?

I thought it sounds OK, until I had chance to play 88 suitcase... wow so fat and velvet-like sound, is this because of amp/cab?
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by matucha

I thought it sounds OK, until I had chance to play 88 suitcase... wow so fat and velvet-like sound, is this because of amp/cab?
Well, the suitcase had that fat stereo vibrato thing happening - to get the same sound with a stage piano you'd have to use a simulated effect out of a box. How well it works would probably depend on the quality of the box (and the skill of the box-tweaker...)
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

Wurli----> 1965 fender deluxe or an ac-30.
Old 28th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by matucha
What about Rhodes Stage? I have no cab to mic and use cheap TL Audio FatMan as DI, getting usable, but not as focused result as I'd like to get. What DI would you use if you have no cab around?
On the Rhodes, I use another Radial DI; if I want to add chorus or phase shifting, I'll use a TC Fireworx or a PCM81
Old 29th May 2003
Gear Addict

I like to mic the speaker as well. I like to take a u87 (or something like it) and jam it as close to the speaker as possible. It's a great sound. I've even gone so far as to duct tape a foam padded u87 to the piano. The speaker has a sound that no amp will deliver. That said, amps are a cool sound too!
Old 29th May 2003
Gear Guru

I usually DI and cheap tube compress my Model 200.
Old 29th May 2003
Lives for gear

I wish I had a wurli

I record a Fender De Ville amp together with my Rhodes Stage piano. I'd like to have those old Roland stomp boxes with two switches - they made a major chorus sound with my Rhodes.
For me it's always fun to record keys through different amps
(even an old DX7 )

Jo
Old 29th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by studjo

For me it's always fun to record keys through different amps

Jo
I need more amps!
Old 29th May 2003
Lives for gear

I need more of everything (oh slutty slutty me )

I have an old ART SGX guitar multifx thingy. It sounds like shit on guitar (IMNSHO), but you can do some crazy stuff with ringmodulation, flanger, chorus and distrotion. When I need some spice on keyboards I give this thing a try. Sometimes it works - sometimes not ...

Jo
Old 30th May 2003
Gear Head

I use my Fender Twin (silver) for rhodes or wurly
lovely attack, full mids. lows
mic it like a guitar, something Shure

works for me..
Old 30th May 2003
Gear Maniac

Fender Twin w. Rhodes

One day while crawling through Rhodes info on the net I read that when they made and tested Rhodes at the factory that a Fender Twin was the standard evaluation amp. I am still not a Twin fan as they seem over powered for studio use, but sometimes I do get the urge to check my suitcase stereo Rhodes through a Twin.

wurly
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear