The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Portico II opinions? Channel Strips
Old 29th January 2010
Lives for gear

Portico II opinions?

I have been considering buying a pair of Portico 5012's, a pair of 5043's, and a 5033, to use either as two mono channel strips or as a stereo channel strip. The portico II however looks very attractive, and it works out to less money for a pair of them then for the five individual pieces. It's not a straightforward substitution, however, because every piece in the chain -- preamp, compressor and eq -- is a little different in the portico II than in the discrete units. The eq in the portico II has a de-esser, for example, but it's missing a band that's present in the 5033.

I would use these above all for tracking vocals, but also for recording instruments via mics, and as a DI for bass and keyboards.

I'm wondering whether anyone has any experience with the Portico II and might be able to compare it to the original portico pieces.

There was another thread asking a similar question in the high end forum, but I didn't see any responses from anyone who actually heard or used the portico II...

-synthoid
Old 29th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
I have been considering buying a pair of Portico 5012's, a pair of 5043's, and a 5033, to use either as two mono channel strips or as a stereo channel strip. The portico II however looks very attractive, and it works out to less money for a pair of them then for the five individual pieces. It's not a straightforward substitution, however, because every piece in the chain -- preamp, compressor and eq -- is a little different in the portico II than in the discrete units. The eq in the portico II has a de-esser, for example, but it's missing a band that's present in the 5033.

I would use these above all for tracking vocals, but also for recording instruments via mics, and as a DI for bass and keyboards.

I'm wondering whether anyone has any experience with the Portico II and might be able to compare it to the original portico pieces.

There was another thread asking a similar question in the high end forum, but I didn't see any responses from anyone who actually heard or used the portico II...

-synthoid
We've just started shipping the Portico II in the last week and would expect them to start arriving with customers shortly. Other than what has been heard at trade show demos, it will be a few more days before I'd expect anyone to be able to answer this in a real world scenario.

The Portico II runs at twice the rail voltage of the Portico's and thus has a bit more headroom.

The EQ is a new design and although, it's base on Mr. Neve's traditional curves it is a different layout than the 5033 (not a copy and paste job by any means).

I think that anyone that is happy with the Portico circuitry would be nothing but pleased with what we've been able to achieve with the Portico II.

Best,

Josh
Old 29th January 2010
Lives for gear

the portico II seems to have parallel compression built in as well...
which appeals to me, but i believe i could just run a line out of the pre, w/o comp, then, with the internal bus, sent that to the comp, record both, and blend them later. i have been researching this decision also... i'd prob be fine with 2 of the pre/eq's and the 2ch comp, which should come out less than the portico II(x2)...
Old 29th January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRND View Post
We've just started shipping the Portico II in the last week and would expect them to start arriving with customers shortly. Other than what has been heard at trade show demos, it will be a few more days before I'd expect anyone to be able to answer this in a real world scenario.

The Portico II runs at twice the rail voltage of the Portico's and thus has a bit more headroom.

The EQ is a new design and although, it's base on Mr. Neve's traditional curves it is a different layout than the 5033 (not a copy and paste job by any means).

I think that anyone that is happy with the Portico circuitry would be nothing but pleased with what we've been able to achieve with the Portico II.

Best,

Josh
My understanding is the EQ on the Portico II will have a little less color or smoothness that the 5033 has since the Port. II has passive components in the EQ high and low filter section. Wish the standard Portico EQ had the same nice labeling of freq's as the Port. II.
Old 11th February 2010
Gear Addict
Still waiting to hear users comments.
Old 12th March 2010
Gear Addict
Sounds very quiet just like the noise floor on a Portico II should be!
Old 12th March 2010
Lives for gear

I haven't been able to put my hands on a Portico II over here (Beijing) yet, sigh. I'm still planning to buy a couple of the new channel strips, and when I do, I'll post some comments.

-synthoid
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

i ordered one about five weeks ago.
just called up at the local shop here in munich, and they said it won't ship before JUNE
Old 11th May 2010
Gear Addict

Rupert really got this unit in the pocket baby! Very low noise floor, incredible gain, tons of control, and shmooth as "Silk"
Old 14th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Another batch has been released to the wild. Hopefully some of these will land with Gearslutz.

We have also been issued our CE approval, and will begin filling the orders to Europe at the end of next week! Apologies for the delay, but your regulations...........

Have a great weekend all!

Josh
Old 2nd June 2010
Lives for gear

just saw the advertisement banner for it here on GS... but still they didn't ship mine.
what's up rupe?
Old 2nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Hello Synthoid, there is only one problem with your math. I believe that you would need 2 5033 units with a 5012 and 4043 to complete a 2 channel set. I could be mistaken, but that would mean a total of 6 units to have a stereo matched set.

That would put the Portico II(two of them) as the cheaper alternative. heh
Old 2nd June 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
just saw the advertisement banner for it here on GS... but still they didn't ship mine.
what's up rupe?
Where are you located and who did you order it through?

We're making progress through the backorders.

Sorry for the wait, but it should be worth it.

Josh
Old 3rd June 2010
Here for the gear

Portico II is GREAT !!

VK Audio shipped mine a few days ago ( S/N 15!! prefaced with P2CH). It arrived fine and I had it unboxed, racked and operational in time for a session. It absolutely floored the bass player. The singer thought I had done something fancy but, alas, just the pre. Noise floor is low. Headroom is huge... and parallel comp (i.e. Blend) is probably what will trend on this channel amp for months to come. Mics used were a U87ai and R122V. I played with Silk and Silk+ a bit, set texture to mid and recorded two tracks for a V/O and acoustic guitar, sent it to the A/R who in turn approved them for the Producer. All this within 1 hour of unboxing the amp!! Didn't hit the de-esser at all !

I have not worked on a 5088 but THAT must be an awesome experience. Rupert and his design team have hit a home run here with Portico II.

DAW: PT HD3 V8.01
System: Mac PowerPC 2.7GHz dual core G5
Converters: Apogee Rosetta 800 (2)
Clock: Apogee Big Ben
Other Channels: 6176, LA-610, VT15, VoxBox

I would say the Portico II is heads up among all of these and does not disappoint. But before laying down 3K for this beauty, I suggest a listening test if you can. I was ecstatic about it (can you tell?) with a leap of faith about Rupert's brand but your ears are always the best judge... not these reviews.

Props to VK ( Jeff and Lindsay) for working thru some tough order backlogs!!
Old 3rd June 2010
Lives for gear
Hey with a revview like that, we want recordings posted!
Old 3rd June 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
what's up rupe?
Oh, my.
Old 5th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRND View Post
Where are you located and who did you order it through?

We're making progress through the backorders.

Sorry for the wait, but it should be worth it.

Josh
justmusic
munich
Old 5th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
Oh, my.
Old 6th June 2010
Gear Maniac

First batch of Portico IIs should have arrived in Germany this last week.

Best,

Josh
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear

ok, cool!
thanks!
can't wait to plug it in.
thumbsup
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear

my unit just flew in today!
Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear

just tried this baby today in a lil' recording session.
using it on electric git, bass and vox.
it was really easy to set up and get it running.
tried the silk mode a few times...
the red one worked perfect driven smoothly on vox (using a SE Z5600a II) and git.
the blue one was very good on our vintage bass.
the eq works really smooth and musical.
the comp is the most flexible i've worked with to date.
i really like the BLEND knob.
havent tried much channel strips, comps and eq's yet,... incl. Focusrite mixmaster, TLA 5013eq, urei 1178, some dbx comps ....

but this one is the shizznit!thumbsup
Old 12th August 2010
Gear Addict

Any further experience by anyone?
Old 12th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddyleewannabe View Post
Any further experience by anyone?
none here. can't get any dealer over here to respond to me about these units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny C
I believe that you would need 2 5033 units with a 5012 and 4043 to complete a 2 channel set. I could be mistaken, but that would mean a total of 6 units to have a stereo matched set.
Two 5033s, but only one 5012 and one 5043 as the latter are both stereo units.

I don't want to go that route because I really want the II, but I might have no choice at the end of the day. I really like the original Portico units so it's not so bad I guess...

-synthoid
Old 12th August 2010
Gear Head

portico II in China

Hi Synthoid,

The first shipment to Beijing of Portico II's just went out yesterday. It should probably take a few weeks to get through, but give Wenduo at YH Audio a call, and he should know more on how long the importation will take.

Sorry it has taken so long.

Thanks
Tristan
Old 18th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Come on guys upload some samples of the work that you have been doing with this Baby!

I'm really interested in this unit, but my RND Dealer have the portico II out of stock, so I can't hear it by my self...

Any of you have been compared this baby against the vintage units... I ask this because Josh told me in a PM that you can achive that sound with this particular unit (I think that the "magic" maybe is on the silk/texture control)

Any comments guys??? PLEASE!!!!!!!

Old 18th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Any body???
Old 18th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanRhodes View Post
Hi Synthoid,

The first shipment to Beijing of Portico II's just went out yesterday. It should probably take a few weeks to get through, but give Wenduo at YH Audio a call, and he should know more on how long the importation will take.

Sorry it has taken so long.

Thanks
Tristan
Thanks Tristan. I asked a distributor here for a quote and availability a few days ago, and I got a price and availability was given as "in stock". So I said, "I'll take two they're small!". Since then, silence. haha. I'll give YH Audio a call.

-synthoid
Old 18th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Da Silva View Post
I have not worked on a 5088 but THAT must be an awesome experience.
Yeah no kidding. I have no desire for an analog console generally but boy I'd love to have that one. Can't afford it of course, don't have any place to put it, but I'd love to have it.

-synthoid
Old 18th August 2010
Gear Maniac

I'm still asking.... No body can say something about that I post before???

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search