The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dead Nord Lead 3 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 28th January 2010
Gear Addict

Dead Nord Lead 3

Hey,

I have a Nord Lead 3 that's misbehaving. When I turn on the power, it keeps repeating the Welcome sequence, ""Welcome to Nord Lead 3... Nord Lead 3 Version 1.20... Welcome to Nord Lead 3... Nord Lead 3 Version 1.20... Welcome to Nord Lead 3... Nord Lead 3 Version 1.20..."

Pretty evil. This thing has barely left the studio, but it must be 4 or 5 years old now.

Any ideas?

So far it let me reinstall the OS 1.20, but nothing else, cuz it won't turn on! Waiting to hear back from Clavia.

Cheers
Adam
Old 28th January 2010
Gear nut

I had a Nord Lead 3. I sold it because this synth sounds wonderful, but is very sensitive to the power coming in.

It would be on, and if anything else with a large power draw was turned on (guitar amp, etc), the Nord would reboot. So basically it would reboot itself any time the power became less than completely stable. Apparently, the workaround is to buy a power regulator. There were posts about this on the old Nord forums.

I opted to just sell mine.

So maybe it has something to do with the power supply?
Old 28th January 2010
Gear Addict

Well I'm hoping that the power supply isn't completely dead.

I've never really had power problems until now.

Cheers
A
Old 28th January 2010
Lives for gear

it's just very happy to see you and gives you a warm welcome.
Old 29th January 2010
Gear Head

I'm not particularly familiar with that model, but something to try would be to find the manual and see if it has a battery for internal memory. If so, yank it and reset it. There may also be a keypress combination that resets it to factory defaults.
Old 3rd February 2010
Gear Addict

Still trying to figure this out.

No internal battery, no factory reset sequence, just a bulk midi dump to restore the factory patches. I can't access the menus on the nord in order to initiate that sequence.

Cheers
A
Old 3rd February 2010
Gear addict

did you e-mail clavia ?
Old 3rd February 2010
Gear Addict

yes, no response yet.

A
Old 8th March 2010
Gear interested

I have EXACTLY the same problem.

5 years old, never left the studio and the same error!

It seems to work for a few seconds when I flash the OS, but after that,

the same problem again...
Old 20th August 2010
Gear Addict

Mine is toast.

Looking for a buyer for parts.
Old 13th September 2010
Gear Addict

Still trying to find a buyer for my dead board. Don't know what to do with it!
Old 14th November 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0r35 View Post
I have EXACTLY the same problem.

5 years old, never left the studio and the same error!

It seems to work for a few seconds when I flash the OS, but after that,

the same problem again...

Same problem, very frustrating
Old 15th November 2010
Gear Addict

Advice: Send to Clavia or a repair center recommended directly by clavia.

good luck!

A
Old 11th December 2010
Gear interested

Hello

I own two Nord Lead 3s (one for spare) and I had this issue on one of them (the keyboard suddenly reboots with no warning. No sound data is lost, but still quite annoying during a show :-)

I had the internal power supply replaced - but still had the issue.

While no. 1 was repaired I used no. 2 - and every now and then it did exactly the same.

I am powering my system by UPS, which should be very stable.

The general impression that the NL3 is very picky about the quality of the mains supply. Never happens to me in the studio, only in live situations (very frustrating...)

I may try with another power regulator.

if any of you nails it please tell.
Old 13th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiocat View Post
Mine is toast.
hi
How do you know it's toast ? Did you get a reply from Clavia ?
I've occasionaly had this same problem for a month or so. It seems like a more permanent thing since yesterday. Now the Nord doesn't boot at all, it just gives me the "Welcome to Nord Lead 3... Nord Lead 3 Version 1.20" sequence...
craap, are we ****ed ?
Old 13th December 2010
Gear Addict

Dead Nord Lead 3

Mine is toast. It was irreparably damaged during an attempted repair. Yours still has hope.

Contact Clavia directly and follow their instructions. Send it to their recommended technician or to Clavia directly. Potentially a very tricky repair that needs to be done right.

Adam
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiocat View Post
Mine is toast. It was irreparably damaged during an attempted repair. Yours still has hope.

Contact Clavia directly and follow their instructions. Send it to their recommended technician or to Clavia directly. Potentially a very tricky repair that needs to be done right.

Adam
cheers.
oddly enough, the unit works normally again.
was it room temp, dirty power ? i don't know.
but this is a bit worrying, i wonder if i should still contact Clavia.
Old 7th April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro View Post
cheers.
oddly enough, the unit works normally again.
was it room temp, dirty power ? i don't know.
but this is a bit worrying, i wonder if i should still contact Clavia.
Sell while it still works!!
Old 7th April 2011
Gear interested

Nailed it (meesa think)...

My friend, who's an electronics boffin (besides being a busy musician) finally had time to look into my shaky NL3s.

So here's what we found. (cheap, working and easy fix follows!!)

First of all we needed to reproduce the failure. A vacuum cleaner did the trick. When (turned on and) plugged into the same socked, the Nord Lead rebooted consistently :-)

It turns out there is a slight design flaw on the PSU board of the NL3. The board delivers 12V (for analog bits), 5V and 3V3 (for digital bits and the 100s of LEDs).
All three supplys are build in a very standard way, however the 3V supply lacks the reservoir capacitor that you'd usually find. The capacitor helps smoothing the voltage, and also counterworks 'brownies' on the mains supply. The PSU actually delivers 3V ok-steady, but measuring before the final voltage regulator reveals a significant voltage ripple.

The fix we suggest below made both my Nord Lead 3s hoover-resistant, and they haven't been spontanously resetting since. The fix is quite easily implemented, very cheap – and at you own risk of course.

THE FIX.

1. Open the NL3

2. Locate the PSU board, it's right side of the cabinet. Looks like this:

3. Locate the 3V voltage regulator

4. Mount a 2200 µF 10V electrolyte capacitor across the input side of the regulator. Solder the capacitor legs directly upon the legs of the regulator. Important to get the polarization right. The component is a mere 1€ / 1$. Doesn't need to be excactly those specs, similar or higher capacitance values should work ok, but it needs to handle at least 10V.

5. Close up and enjoy your improved Nord Lead 3.

// Henrik Munch & René Thalund, Denmark

Last edited by thalund; 7th April 2011 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 2nd July 2011
Gear interested

Have the same issue with my nord compact! But my circuit board looks a tad different. And the regulator you said to solder that piece to seems to have come stock with it any ideas?!?
Old 13th July 2011
Gear interested

@ Davids nord compact

You're right, it seams Clavia put in the additional capacitor already (near the 'U2' print on the board).

However they put it on the OUTPUT side of the regulator (whereas our fix puts it on the input side).

Configured like this a larger ripple on the input may cause the regulator to shut down entirely for a short moment, which in turn could be too much for the output cap to handle.

I'd suggest, not to remove their capacitor, but try to add an additional on the input side (the leftmost two legs).

Please let me and other users know if this works for you

/rené
Old 20th August 2011
Gear interested

I tried what you said and it made it worse :-/. So I took off the output one and just put one on the input. Works great for now, but that's always what it seems like, then later on it gets in it's freak startups. I'm using 35v 440. For input. That ok? The stock one that was on the output was 10v 220
Old 20th August 2011
Gear interested

Meant 35v 470
Old 29th August 2011
Gear interested

440 µF should be ok, a bit on the lower end, though I can't say for sure.

Our Nord Lead 3 solution is based on oscilloscope measuring of the ripple problem of the specific PSU board inside this keyboard. Of course I can't promise the same remedy will work in your case…

// René
Old 28th September 2011
Gear interested

Hi All.

First time here.
On a related note, I have a Nord electro 2 which re-booted constantly, and also would often change parameter settings to where the knobs happened to be - frustrating live, to say the least.....

Eventually I took it to bits, removed and re-seated all the ribbon cables, but most importantly (I believe) discovered that a screw holding the bracket of the PSU board to the bottom plate was missing. Fitting that screw may have been the solution - my guess is that it's needed for correct earthing of the PSU board.

The problems have not happened once since, even during a live festival gig where the power from the generator went low enough to cause repeated failures and re-boots in a Kurzweil K2000 set for 240v.

Hope this tidbit helps in some way...

cheers,
Dave
Old 9th October 2011
Gear interested

Which screw was it? Because I realized that there were some missing ones on mine.
Old 10th October 2011
You guys are awesome. =) Ive played a nord lead myself and the sound coming from it was nice. Even though I dont play keyboards yet I could tell it was quality. The construction is there and the keys are like rock. Keep on playing those things.
Old 18th November 2011
Gear interested

hey guys all good? camon, none of those answers are right, just stick your nord lead at the sun or near something hot to take of humidity, and its gonna be rocking all over again , i have the same problem here and the nord lead was not even mine, so i work it out, the studio was lock out for a cold and rainy weekend, monday it didn work, so i freak out when i read this post here seeking for info about what was the problem, its humidity inside the nored lead that make the circuits go nuts, no problem, just try to let it dry and its gonne
hope it work for u to, saves time and money
Old 21st April 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalund View Post
My friend, who's an electronics boffin (besides being a busy musician) finally had time to look into my shaky NL3s.

So here's what we found. (cheap, working and easy fix follows!!)

First of all we needed to reproduce the failure. A vacuum cleaner did the trick. When (turned on and) plugged into the same socked, the Nord Lead rebooted consistently :-)

It turns out there is a slight design flaw on the PSU board of the NL3. The board delivers 12V (for analog bits), 5V and 3V3 (for digital bits and the 100s of LEDs).
All three supplys are build in a very standard way, however the 3V supply lacks the reservoir capacitor that you'd usually find. The capacitor helps smoothing the voltage, and also counterworks 'brownies' on the mains supply. The PSU actually delivers 3V ok-steady, but measuring before the final voltage regulator reveals a significant voltage ripple.

The fix we suggest below made both my Nord Lead 3s hoover-resistant, and they haven't been spontanously resetting since. The fix is quite easily implemented, very cheap – and at you own risk of course.

THE FIX.

1. Open the NL3

2. Locate the PSU board, it's right side of the cabinet. Looks like this:

3. Locate the 3V voltage regulator

4. Mount a 2200 µF 10V electrolyte capacitor across the input side of the regulator. Solder the capacitor legs directly upon the legs of the regulator. Important to get the polarization right. The component is a mere 1€ / 1$. Doesn't need to be excactly those specs, similar or higher capacitance values should work ok, but it needs to handle at least 10V.

5. Close up and enjoy your improved Nord Lead 3.

// Henrik Munch & René Thalund, Denmark
Hey dudes, thanks so much for posting this info. I've struggled for 5-6 years with a broken NL3. Kinda sad too as it was my main keyboard/controller. I have a good buddy who works at Clavia in Stockholm who tried to fix mine but couldn't. Now I'm gonna give this a shot. I'll let everyone know what happens after the fix.
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Ha, I have a nord electro 2 that has done the same thing.. I called clavia and they said " oh n, we have never heard of this problem! ".

Lying sacks o crap it sounds like.. They refered me to an authorized repair place who couldn't find anything wrong and charged me 100 bucks for the pleasure.. Said they did some random soldering on the board looking for cold joints...

I have to say it has only done it a couple of times since but I can't trust it fully.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search