The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Electrical interference - shield? Saturation Plugins
Old 25th January 2010
Lives for gear
Electrical interference - shield?

Hi all,

I have a serious problem with guitar pickups in my basement studio picking up a buzz/hum. I know the culprit - it is a water meter on the wall. Apparently the motors driving the meter are producing some electrical interference. Humbuckers help, but obviously using just humbuckers would be pretty limiting, not to mention that even with humbuckers there is still a buzz, just quieter.

The studio is small enough, and the signal strong enough, that just having the guitar move away or stand at a different angle doesn't help enough, although both do reduce the effect.

I looked into options to correct this problem, and it seems like the best bet is a Faraday Box built around the meter. Before I go and build one, I was wondering if any Slutz had experiences with this kind of thing.

Thanks.
Old 25th January 2010
Gear Addict

Hi,
I havent had your specific problem but I have had a lot of similiar situations. I have done a lot of Faraday shielding in my studio and it does work. Go to this thread Radio Interference - Will this issue continue?
VP
Old 25th January 2010
Lives for gear
Hi VP,

Thanks for the info. Good to know it doesn't just work "in theory." Any suggestions or warnings about how to build one? I know the basic concept, but have read various opinions about things like preferred metals, mesh sizes, and how many gaps you can have in the shield (vs. using expensive metal tape to seal off as much as possible).
Old 25th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neirbod View Post
Hi VP,

Thanks for the info. Good to know it doesn't just work "in theory." Any suggestions or warnings about how to build one? I know the basic concept, but have read various opinions about things like preferred metals, mesh sizes, and how many gaps you can have in the shield (vs. using expensive metal tape to seal off as much as possible).
I used 3' wide aluminum flashing, no gaps. 100% coverage. If you are sure it is the water meter I would make a removeable enclosure out of plywood and cover it with the flashing, overlap the pieces and use aluminum roofing nails. Then put a copper lug on the aluminum with aluminum screws and connect it to #6 stranded copper wire. Apply Penetrox or equivalent anti oxidation compound to all AL to CU connections, it prevents corrosion. PENETROX A Joint Compound - 8 Oz Bottle Penetrox A
There should be a ground clamp on the water service. I wouldnt touch the existing clamp but get a new one and install it to the water pipe close to the existing clamp. Viola. Farady Shield. I think you should remove the enclosure when you dont need it because it will defeat the water companies transmission. That is how they read the meters now, with radio waves. Keep us posted with your progress.
VP
Old 25th January 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by neirbod View Post
Hi all,

I have a serious problem with guitar pickups in my basement studio picking up a buzz/hum. I know the culprit - it is a water meter on the wall. Apparently the motors driving the meter are producing some electrical interference. Humbuckers help, but obviously using just humbuckers would be pretty limiting, not to mention that even with humbuckers there is still a buzz, just quieter.

The studio is small enough, and the signal strong enough, that just having the guitar move away or stand at a different angle doesn't help enough, although both do reduce the effect.

I looked into options to correct this problem, and it seems like the best bet is a Faraday Box built around the meter. Before I go and build one, I was wondering if any Slutz had experiences with this kind of thing.

Thanks.
rewire the grt w/ shielded wire and line the cavities/pickguard and even the pickups w/ copper foil or copper paint that will reduce much of it. hit stewmac they have it all, luthiers mercantile does too?

the faraday thing sounds like a good idea, you may also be able to use copper or lead shield which is $cheaper$. Also plugging you gear into an isolation transformer can solve similar issues. did I hear graphite works? ferrite shields? so many possibilities it's still all a crap shoot though.

copper foil and shielded wire worked for me. I had a bad 60hz hum. I also run my cables through a copper pipe at one location. If not all grounded properly it can cause other problems as well
Old 27th January 2010
Lives for gear
Looks like I have my project for the weekend. Thanks for the input.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search