The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
You guys are gonna hate this!!! Dynamics Plugins
Old 25th January 2010
You guys are gonna hate this!!!

Ok, Simply put.
SSL Duende Studio PAck, Or The Softube CL1B, Fet and EQ's. And then maybe the 4k on my UAD.

Ok, so I own a load of stuff, Waves Platinum, and the SSL package.
My UAD Quad has some of the neve, the Fatso, 1176, Fairchild and so on...

So, I have an 1176 emu, but I think the Softube Fet sounds better... (Although I am still a huge fan of the UAD one, it has served me well for years)

I own the SSL emu's from waves... I have no idea if the Duende is gonna be better for me. I am not so fussed about the strips as I have "good" emu's of them (waves). I do slightly prefer the 4ks, and I am well aware the duende is a different beast.

I guess what it comes down to is xcomp vs CL1B...

I am running the demo of CL1B and I do love it... xcomp.... How good really? Drum strip??? Might be good, and the emu's... better than the waves I have, or the 4ks (which I do prefer and would have got instead of the waves if UAD had been a little quicker) I have expired demos of?...

Money wise if I didn't get the Duende I could get a few different bits. Maybe the sound packs for Gladiator and some other stuff...

Ok I think you guys are gonna get what I am asking here.

Feel free to bitch moan, bring up the old uad vs duende vs powercore and all of it. It will all help, and part of my brain is having a huge battle with another part of my brain over this!

I know a lot of this has been covered in other posts, and I have read many of them, and I am still undecided.

Love you guys!

TheScientist
Old 25th January 2010
And a Bump....

Is this thread in the right section?
Old 25th January 2010
Lives for gear

what's the questions ?

i've done a LOT of comparisons, and i think the Stillwell Rocket is better than the Softube. not by much, but still. and it's cheaper ! but it's ugly...

did you try the Waves CLA ? it's kinda "cheating" cause there's some kind of EQing going on, but it's very nice.
Old 25th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScientist View Post

Ok I think you guys are gonna get what I am asking here.

TheScientist

Ummm...?
Old 25th January 2010
Yer sorry guys, late night ramble...

I guess what it comes down to is, do I buy a fully loaded duende, or do I get the softube stuff, and then just get the 4k stuff on my UAD Quad (I do prefer this to the waves).

Is the xcomp "That" good? Would you rather an xcomp or the Softube CL1B?

I think my first post kinda makes sense if you read it 4 times. haha

I have decided not to give waves any more money for the time being. After paying for years of the WUP my platinum got like 5 new plugins. I have had platinum for years, I got it when it was the top package, and I figured the WUP would keep me with the top package, so they took my money, then Diamond, Then Mercury... And if I want to now own the top package I would need to sell my blue bottle, or my car! Oh but no I am paying for it to be up to date and have the latest versions.... Why? The old original ones sound the same, and still work I might add!!! Sorry I don't want to make this an I hate waves thread, cos I do love their plugins, I just feel a little ripped by the WUP. I will in time just bite the bullet and get Mercury (or maybe the SunGodRah package by then, which ever one if their full range). But untill then buying a bundle at a time is going to cost more in the long term!
Old 25th January 2010
Oh and I have the Stillwell plugs. Big fan!!
Old 25th January 2010
Gear Addict

Ahhh, OK...

I'm not familiar with Duende (I use Logic & DP) so can't comment on their bundled plugs. Same goes for Waves...

However, I do use 2 x UAD cards, and am totally happy with them. IMHO they have some of the best emulations around, and if you're mixing ITB or even hybrid I think that's where I'd spend my money.

Actually,it's where I HAVE spent my money!

My 0.02c

Good luck, Mike
Old 25th January 2010
Cheers Mike

And yer I have spent a lot of money there too. I am loving their new stuff. :-)
Old 27th January 2010
Lives for gear

comparin the x comp and the cl1b is the wrong debate cause it's so different !!

it's like why studios with ssl consoles have racks and racks of ua , tubetech , avalon , dbx ....

so same here , the duende will conver every technical needs (and the bus comp is crazy) , the character will be covered by the fet , cl1b , tridant....for acoustic the cl1b is the king , for vocal (hip hop high level) the fet and it's fast attack rules , can't wait to mix my boy jahbo (really hot singer) with the cl1b on the comp ....

i'm happy with my duende , and softube is what i miss for a long time , that + i missed from the good old analog dayz ....grab softube and the duende but only the channel strip and the bus comp and you're strapped (as i am) for a long time !!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search