The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are you using for your mixing desk's scribble strips? masking tape?
Old 17th October 2005
Gear Maniac

What are you using for your mixing desk's scribble strips? masking tape?

any suggestions which look nicer and don't leave a lot of residue behind?
Old 17th October 2005
artist tape
Old 17th October 2005
Gear Maniac

You might laugh, but I've found that the 3M correction and cover up tape works great. It leave minimal residue behind, is avail. in different sizes and is easy to find at any office supply store...
Old 17th October 2005
Lives for gear

it's funny but my desk has a scrible strip (magnetic) you write on it (please no waterproof color) and you whipe it with a your fingers if you want
Old 17th October 2005
Lives for gear

why label anything, it just allows others to jump in
Old 17th October 2005
Here for the gear

White (beige really) Painters Tape. Its less sticky than masking tape and less expensive than Artist's Tape.
Old 18th October 2005
Lives for gear

artists tape
Old 18th October 2005
Lives for gear

I went to the hardware store and found some 3/4" wide, white vinyl tape, the perfect width for the Mackie 24 x 8 board. I use a black magic marker to write on it, lay it out once a year or so as I usually keep the board configured the same all the time, but make minor changes. After a while, I'll change the whole strip and re-new it, keeps it fresh and current. This tape removes easily with no residue. Costs about $2.00 for a small roll, but a roll will last me for 2-3 years.

It's made by Scotch and they call it "Decorate and Repair" tape.
Looks great !!

Also on the Mackie, there's switchable inputs so I'll also put down a strip of yellow 1/2" electrical tape with those inputs marked on it, just under the white tape. Works great for me.
Old 18th October 2005
More cowbell!

Painter's tape here also, best deal goin--off-white is great, but we even use blue if we cant find white. The blue is fine with a big black sharpie. Painter tape is also available i a few very nice widths. We use 1" most the time, but sometimes use 2" for bigger or more info--all depends.
Old 18th October 2005
Lives for gear

I buy about 1" wide cash register paper rolls. You know, those rolls of paper receipts get printed on. Available at any office store.
Then I just tape each end to the board with cellophane tape.
Whats nice is, when the projects done, you can fold up the paper and keep it on file if you need to for recall..

Works great for me and my board stays marker and tape residue free.
Old 18th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon
any suggestions which look nicer and don't leave a lot of residue behind?
I Use 3M Post it tape. When a band is done tracking I stick it on the back of the control room door then I start another project... Does anyone else use this stuff?
It works great!
Old 18th October 2005
Gear Guru

artists tape for me. Low tack and unlike masking tape you can write on it with anything- even ball point.

I stick them on the door when I am done- no so much for recall- more like for trophies!
Old 18th October 2005
Lives for gear

Artist's blue tape 1". For some reason I got rolls of the stuff...can't remember who gave it tome, but it works great.
Old 18th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq
artists tape for me. Low tack and unlike masking tape you can write on it with anything- even ball point.

I stick them on the door when I am done- no so much for recall- more like for trophies!
Where do you buy artist tape? I will give it a try?
Old 18th October 2005
Gear Guru

any art-supply store - the kind where they sell paint and brushes and canvases and little berets and pencil-moustaches....
Old 18th October 2005
Gear Head

Real estate signs.

You know, 'house for sale' and 'Open House this weekend' stuff. It's free if you go gather it up and just hang it off the amps with duct tape.

Just make sure to annotate it with channel numbers so the engineer knows where they're coming up on the board when he looks out the window.

If your engineer doesn't know where the channels are then you need a new engineer, right?

This aint rocket surgery, huh?

Guess what. I'm thinking about becoming your newest troll.

Got any more dumb questions?

No, wait, I have to go look...
Old 18th October 2005
Gear Nut

I use BIN. with one of those little trim rollers. Sometimes takes two coats, if someone has used a red sharpie on the last layer. Every couple years, a few minutes with a leatherman takes it down enough so I can see the panpots again.

zowd
Old 18th October 2005
Lives for gear

You can buy scribble tape from Markertek.
Old 18th October 2005
urumita

Artist tape is the classic. I can't find it near me.
Old 18th October 2005
Lives for gear

Funny, I thought "oh, I'll help these guys out and give them the brand name & part # of the artist's tape I always use" so I grab a roll from the studio and the only identification marking it has anywhere on it is the words Artist's Tape written several dozen times across the inner spool.

So it's artist's tape all alright.
Old 18th October 2005
Gear Maniac

we use 3/4" or 1" white tape (maybe it is artist tape, we have always called it console tape...) the brand on the inner spool says "Permacel"
Old 19th October 2005

I use a black plastic strip attached above my main faders and clear plastic tabs above my small faders and on my outboard units. I have the plastic custom cut at the local trophy shop and it is very cheap to have done. using plastic with a high gloss surface makes for easy writing and clean and quick wiping off. A crucial factor is to use Tech Wipe lint free 2x2 cloth( can be purchased in large bundles from video supply sources) to wipe writing off so you don't get lint from regular cloth. White china marker for writing.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you using for your mixing desk's scribble strips? masking tape?-tab3.jpg  
Old 19th October 2005
someone already said it but i'll second the motion:

3M post-it tape.

doesn't leave a sticky mess like masking tape... can be moved around a lot
Old 19th October 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Funny, I thought "oh, I'll help these guys out and give them the brand name & part # of the artist's tape I always use" so I grab a roll from the studio and the only identification marking it has anywhere on it is the words Artist's Tape written several dozen times across the inner spool.

So it's artist's tape all alright.
happy little tape
Old 20th October 2005
Lives for gear

Artist's tape as well. White for everything coming from the multitrack, as well as subgroups. Red or blue for FX returns.
Old 20th October 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd world order
someone already said it but i'll second the motion:

3M post-it tape.

doesn't leave a sticky mess like masking tape... can be moved around a lot

went to staples. didn't see Artists tape but got this 3M post-it tape. Works great. nice recommenation.
Old 15th June 2010
Here for the gear

magnets under the channel faders

Below the channel faders of my humble Mackie 1402-VLZ3 mixer I have placed a line of magnetic strip taped with the magnetic bit facing up (the bottom part of the mixer is not magnetic). I have small magnets saying 'Vox', 'BVs' etc which I put down under each channel as appropriate, for each part of the mix session - which sometimes changes.

I thought this to be be an elegant and quick solution to my noobie questions requiring prompt answers - such as 'is guitar on channel 3 or channel 6?'.No one else here seems to use this method. I'm wondering if there is a reason for that.

Mackie did have the same sticker idea on a now-discontinued headphone mixer - although that used them along the sides not the bottom, as its routing was different.

My audio engineering question is this: Is the magnetic field of the magnets likely to cause any problems with the audio quality of the mixer? Mostly it is used as a playback mixer from the DAW, but on occasion it is used as a mixer for recording also (it has a useful submix function).
Old 15th June 2010
Gear Head

electrical tape and whiteboard pens

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search