The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best (most suitable) amp for Auratones
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

Best (most suitable) amp for Auratones

O-kay so... My auratones need an amp. I've been using a Bryston 4Bst which is overkill like a mofo. It will now be used on my NS-10's. Can anyone suggest a decent amp for them? Let's face it, I'm lookin department store, phone hold, prison radio, subway fm, 2 way ring, etc amp... This is for "my" set up... Thus far, I've been able to kick ass with what I have, however, if I had access to Auras I'd save a lot of time from doing 'car tests'.

Any suggestions? Average street prices? Honestly, I'm properly going to point the Auratones in the direction away from me (similar to what a lot of mastering engineers in LA seem to do anyway).
Old 26th May 2003
Mindreader

Are there many horrortones knocking around in the US? They're pretty difficult to come across over here, but a boutique manufacturer is making 'identical' (apparently) sounding cone replacements.

I love them. Want some. For overall balance I just 'get' them.

When I did have them they were powered by a quad.
Old 26th May 2003
A speaker switcher box? And just use the same amp?

Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

Radio Shack?
Old 26th May 2003
urumita

Minimus 7's are too hi-fi as a speaker if that's what you mean.
Look for some used Dynaco amps, or maybe they're still making kits, it's fun and doesn't take that long , you can have a zen moment with your profession. Maybe they're too hi-fi also.
The speaker switch (ProCo makes a good one, NS-10's to KRK is OK) is what kills these speakers, you're looking for something around 15 watts a side max.
I use a panasonic radio with a CD input and its own amplifier (7 watts), I use it 90% while tracking, mixing and mastering (rarely, when I do it myself). I've been accused by a few friends that this is also too hi-fi because it has the bass boost button and an EQ, but you can take it out. A lot of the time I work in idiot mode, just to save me the hassle later.
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Nut

BevvyB

Who is making replacement cones for the auratones? I have a pair and they seem to have just fallen apart from being so old. I'm going to look into getting them re-coned, cos i really like them.

Cheers
Olly
Old 27th May 2003
Mindreader

I was at Funky Junk the other day and they had a few pairs that were off to be re-coned by 'someone'.

I'm not sure who the someone is. You could always phone and ask. Talk to Bruce.
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

try a Hafler P1500...and auratones r wonderful
Old 29th May 2003
Lives for gear

Good Lookin' out Mike...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search