The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So how did you get the $$$ for your gear???
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So how did you get the $$$ for your gear???

Just wondering on a boring Sunday night....

It's a combination of all sources for me - a little credit cards, saving some cash, and the last few years some hefty work bonuses (from real job no less) that's enabled me to construct a a good studio. It's taken me about 5-7 years though to amass about $15K worth of gear.

What about you? You some rich kid?fuuck Win the lottery? Rob a bank?grudge Up to your ass in CC debt????
Old 26th May 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Ex-drug dealer.
Old 26th May 2003
urumita

🎧 15 years
Ex?
Old 26th May 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Ex-gambler.
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ex?
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
web and software design when I was younger and anyone could make money off the internet ;-) I have a friend who drives a mercedes convertable because he built/maintained a WWF website and was a genious at making money through on site ads. One of the pioneers of all that pop up crap. Oh yeah. He's turning twenty in two weeks. I didn't make near that much, but have enough after years of careful investing and some gear trading to own a crane song spider and some other heavy duty pieces of outboard gear, as well as a few top flight mics.
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Slowly over time, I got all my stuff "the old fashioned way... I earrrrrrrrrrrrrned it!" heh

... For the life -o- me I can't remember who the actor was in that Smith-Barney TV commercial (John Hausen or something?) but I still can see his face.
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L
Slowly over time, I got all my stuff "the old fashioned way... I earrrrrrrrrrrrrned it!" heh

... For the life -o- me I can't remember who the actor was in that Smith-Barney TV commercial (John Hausen or something?) but I still can see his face.
Close, John Houseman......

It's kind of funny actually - When I just started out, I kept every piece of equipment I bought for a good while. Now, when I have the $$$ (or at least enough to keep afloat) I go through gear like women at a bar - "I don't like this one - on to the next!!"
Old 27th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Student loans bought me some of my first pieces of gear.
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I worked at a studio for five and a half years. In that time I bought a lot of gear off my earnings. I had other sources of income, so I could use the studio money for gear often. I got my 24-track, and had it rebuilt, a Drawmer 1969, a G$ for at home mastering (that the boss didn't get a piece ofheh) some mics and a Joe Meek SC2.2 and a few other pieces I can't think of right now. When The boss decided to get out, I got a loan from my folks and bought the stuff I liked and let him keep the stuff I didn't (DBX silver series, ADATs). He kept a few of the cooler things (U87, 4050s, Eventide) but he still lets me use them.
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well I work and still work in IT although only 2-3 days a week. The $$$'s are good otherwise it would be hard to upgrade of the studio $$'s alone. Keep wanting to give up the IT job and do the studio fulltime, altough I keep wanting more gear...
Old 27th May 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
sperm donor dfegad
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Student loans are the shiznit. I've gotten a fair amount that way and for jobs I do recording. Also I build computers for people, although normally I just charge a case of beer for that. I am also an out of work prostitute.

I really am only buying mics right now though until I get a real job. I can afford $300 here and there and maybe $1000 twice or so a year. I'll start getting good A/D and micpre's when the prostitution picks back up.

Beez
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Beezoboy
Student loans are the shiznit. I've gotten a fair amount that way and for jobs I do recording. Also I build computers for people, although normally I just charge a case of beer for that. I am also an out of work prostitute.

I really am only buying mics right now though until I get a real job. I can afford $300 here and there and maybe $1000 twice or so a year. I'll start getting good A/D and micpre's when the prostitution picks back up.

Beez
I knew there were some *****s here.....

What about any of you who are in the big leagues? Has anyone plunked down cash for that SSL 9000J??? I knew of one guy in Arizona who plunked $1M in cash to get his studio up and running....he was a busy prostitute...
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown soldier
I knew there were some *****s here.....

What about any of you who are in the big leagues? Has anyone plunked down cash for that SSL 9000J??? I knew of one guy in Arizona who plunked $1M in cash to get his studio up and running....he was a busy prostitute...
What's with the censorship? I've read all kinds of profanity, and something like a slang word for prostitute gets edited? That makes a lot of sense...
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
any means possible. Mainly saving pennies. I worked in a bakery for six years. Then my band got signed and I bought some neves....needless to say, I've got nice preamps, but I can't pay my bills. grudge
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
sperm donor dfegad
I can do that!!!! Do you get payed per event or by the ounce?

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown soldier
Close, John Houseman......
Bingo... thanks.
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
the profit after expenses (from my fee) goes towards new gear. well most of it... i got other bills too.
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In the beginning my performing subsidized my studio. Then after a while it actually began to break even. These days, I can actually turn down some of the less desireable performance gigs because my studio is making some money.
Old 27th May 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The restaurant business.

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I got the $$$ like battleangel - web and software desgn. The Internet hype days were sweeeeet indeed for my gear collection. Now that that's all over though, I'm investigating a new angle - GRANTS!! I've a friend who got thousands to set up a temporary experimental radio station as a conceptual art work, so I figure that I'm due a little funding as well...and over here, artists don't pay taxes!

Any suggestions for how a studio could be pitched as a work of art deserving of government funding?
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Combination of buying and selling some stuff like records and guitars, income from my day job (IT) and all the money I make from gigs. THEN I ask my wife if I can spend it.
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I started from webdesign money and now music alone generates small amounts, so I can buy something small twice a year...

architecture study kills almost all my time, so I can't work now...
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
real estate
buy/fixup/sell
Old 28th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
You have to be creative and never under estimate what can be done with a balaclava and a water pistol. Take care Logan
Old 28th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted
The restaurant business.

Talk about a rough business to make a buck in.
You make a profit in food and then spend it
on gear?

Wow, I'm impressed.

Me, I just rob banks.
See the "Sutton Mountain Boys" songs
on my website.
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Physician during the day.

Project studio owner/Engineer/Musician at night....Thank God one job pays the bills and lets me buy new toys.

I really respect you guys that can run a profitable studio year/year out....I'm getting there slowly but won't quit the day job yet.
Old 28th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I get all my money through working at an Accounts firm in the summer in between uni semesters. I don't pay tax!

It's damn hard when you don't work full time. I find that hunting for bargains and having to save up really makes you consider what you really need next.

It wouldn't be fun if i had it all to start with.
Old 28th May 2003
Founder

Need new gear?

Ski mask time!

Old 28th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I've found some pretty amazing deals at pawnshops..

Sony DPS V77 - $189
original U87 - $450
All sorts of older Roland and Yamaha outboard for cheap.
Kay M-1 upright bass - $600

However, the past 6 months or so have been pretty slim pickings. Must be the economy.

Still waiting to find that Fairchild at the flea market in some small town!

Mike
πŸ“ Reply