The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So how did you get the $$$ for your gear???
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

So how did you get the $$$ for your gear???

Just wondering on a boring Sunday night....

It's a combination of all sources for me - a little credit cards, saving some cash, and the last few years some hefty work bonuses (from real job no less) that's enabled me to construct a a good studio. It's taken me about 5-7 years though to amass about $15K worth of gear.

What about you? You some rich kid?fuuck Win the lottery? Rob a bank?grudge Up to your ass in CC debt????
Old 26th May 2003
member no 666

Ex-drug dealer.
Old 26th May 2003
urumita

Ex?
Old 26th May 2003
Ex-gambler.
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

Ex?
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

web and software design when I was younger and anyone could make money off the internet ;-) I have a friend who drives a mercedes convertable because he built/maintained a WWF website and was a genious at making money through on site ads. One of the pioneers of all that pop up crap. Oh yeah. He's turning twenty in two weeks. I didn't make near that much, but have enough after years of careful investing and some gear trading to own a crane song spider and some other heavy duty pieces of outboard gear, as well as a few top flight mics.
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

Slowly over time, I got all my stuff "the old fashioned way... I earrrrrrrrrrrrrned it!" heh

... For the life -o- me I can't remember who the actor was in that Smith-Barney TV commercial (John Hausen or something?) but I still can see his face.
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L
Slowly over time, I got all my stuff "the old fashioned way... I earrrrrrrrrrrrrned it!" heh

... For the life -o- me I can't remember who the actor was in that Smith-Barney TV commercial (John Hausen or something?) but I still can see his face.
Close, John Houseman......

It's kind of funny actually - When I just started out, I kept every piece of equipment I bought for a good while. Now, when I have the $$$ (or at least enough to keep afloat) I go through gear like women at a bar - "I don't like this one - on to the next!!"
Old 27th May 2003
Here for the gear

Student loans bought me some of my first pieces of gear.
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Guru

I worked at a studio for five and a half years. In that time I bought a lot of gear off my earnings. I had other sources of income, so I could use the studio money for gear often. I got my 24-track, and had it rebuilt, a Drawmer 1969, a G$ for at home mastering (that the boss didn't get a piece ofheh) some mics and a Joe Meek SC2.2 and a few other pieces I can't think of right now. When The boss decided to get out, I got a loan from my folks and bought the stuff I liked and let him keep the stuff I didn't (DBX silver series, ADATs). He kept a few of the cooler things (U87, 4050s, Eventide) but he still lets me use them.
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

Well I work and still work in IT although only 2-3 days a week. The $$$'s are good otherwise it would be hard to upgrade of the studio $$'s alone. Keep wanting to give up the IT job and do the studio fulltime, altough I keep wanting more gear...
Old 27th May 2003
There is only one

sperm donor dfegad
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Addict

Student loans are the shiznit. I've gotten a fair amount that way and for jobs I do recording. Also I build computers for people, although normally I just charge a case of beer for that. I am also an out of work prostitute.

I really am only buying mics right now though until I get a real job. I can afford $300 here and there and maybe $1000 twice or so a year. I'll start getting good A/D and micpre's when the prostitution picks back up.

Beez
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Beezoboy
Student loans are the shiznit. I've gotten a fair amount that way and for jobs I do recording. Also I build computers for people, although normally I just charge a case of beer for that. I am also an out of work prostitute.

I really am only buying mics right now though until I get a real job. I can afford $300 here and there and maybe $1000 twice or so a year. I'll start getting good A/D and micpre's when the prostitution picks back up.

Beez
I knew there were some *****s here.....

What about any of you who are in the big leagues? Has anyone plunked down cash for that SSL 9000J??? I knew of one guy in Arizona who plunked $1M in cash to get his studio up and running....he was a busy prostitute...
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown soldier
I knew there were some *****s here.....

What about any of you who are in the big leagues? Has anyone plunked down cash for that SSL 9000J??? I knew of one guy in Arizona who plunked $1M in cash to get his studio up and running....he was a busy prostitute...
What's with the censorship? I've read all kinds of profanity, and something like a slang word for prostitute gets edited? That makes a lot of sense...
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Maniac

any means possible. Mainly saving pennies. I worked in a bakery for six years. Then my band got signed and I bought some neves....needless to say, I've got nice preamps, but I can't pay my bills. grudge
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
sperm donor dfegad
I can do that!!!! Do you get payed per event or by the ounce?

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown soldier
Close, John Houseman......
Bingo... thanks.
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Maniac

the profit after expenses (from my fee) goes towards new gear. well most of it... i got other bills too.
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

In the beginning my performing subsidized my studio. Then after a while it actually began to break even. These days, I can actually turn down some of the less desireable performance gigs because my studio is making some money.
Old 27th May 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

The restaurant business.

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Nut

I got the $$$ like battleangel - web and software desgn. The Internet hype days were sweeeeet indeed for my gear collection. Now that that's all over though, I'm investigating a new angle - GRANTS!! I've a friend who got thousands to set up a temporary experimental radio station as a conceptual art work, so I figure that I'm due a little funding as well...and over here, artists don't pay taxes!

Any suggestions for how a studio could be pitched as a work of art deserving of government funding?
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Nut

Combination of buying and selling some stuff like records and guitars, income from my day job (IT) and all the money I make from gigs. THEN I ask my wife if I can spend it.
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

I started from webdesign money and now music alone generates small amounts, so I can buy something small twice a year...

architecture study kills almost all my time, so I can't work now...
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Head

real estate
buy/fixup/sell
Old 28th May 2003
Gear Addict

You have to be creative and never under estimate what can be done with a balaclava and a water pistol. Take care Logan
Old 28th May 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted
The restaurant business.

Talk about a rough business to make a buck in.
You make a profit in food and then spend it
on gear?

Wow, I'm impressed.

Me, I just rob banks.
See the "Sutton Mountain Boys" songs
on my website.
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

Physician during the day.

Project studio owner/Engineer/Musician at night....Thank God one job pays the bills and lets me buy new toys.

I really respect you guys that can run a profitable studio year/year out....I'm getting there slowly but won't quit the day job yet.
Old 28th May 2003
Gear Nut

I get all my money through working at an Accounts firm in the summer in between uni semesters. I don't pay tax!

It's damn hard when you don't work full time. I find that hunting for bargains and having to save up really makes you consider what you really need next.

It wouldn't be fun if i had it all to start with.
Old 28th May 2003
Need new gear?

Ski mask time!

Old 28th May 2003
Gear Maniac

I've found some pretty amazing deals at pawnshops..

Sony DPS V77 - $189
original U87 - $450
All sorts of older Roland and Yamaha outboard for cheap.
Kay M-1 upright bass - $600

However, the past 6 months or so have been pretty slim pickings. Must be the economy.

Still waiting to find that Fairchild at the flea market in some small town!

Mike

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search