The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do a compressor affect the sound even when the threshold is not triggerd? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 21st January 2010
Gear Nut

Do a compressor affect the sound even when the threshold is not triggerd?

Ok, so i like my mic(Studio Project C-1), my preamp(Groove Tubes The Brick) and i now need a compressor to protect the perfect take to be scrapped by some occasional peak on my sound card due to popping,or too much emotion from an inexperimented singer,wich are the ones i record on my computer home studio.

I am not looking for changing too much the dynamics of the vocal or adding color, as i prefer plug-in i can experiment with after recording.

Used in this maner, do i realy need a more expensive compressor, or would something around $100 like the Presonus Comp16 do the job?

The general question could be: do a compressor affect the sound even when the threshold is not triggerd?

Thanks!
Old 21st January 2010
If you want a cheap compressor that doesn't mess with the tone, seek out a used Aphex 651. I got all three of mine for $100. I think they are amazing for the money, and if you send it out to Jim Williams @ Audio Upgrades it will probably become your favorite compressor.
Old 21st January 2010
Gear Addict

Don't track so hot. At 24bit you have 144dB of dynamic range.

Try tracking so that you peak between -18 and -21 dB. Your DACs will thank you for it.
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halexx View Post
The general question could be: do a compressor affect the sound even when the threshold is not triggerd?
Yes. Try using a good vintage plugin set at 1:1 and check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Russell View Post
Don't track so hot. At 24bit you have 144dB of dynamic range.

Try tracking so that you peak between -18 and -21 dB. Your DACs will thank you for it.
Id say just keep it around -6db, thats the threshold for distortion on most converters. When you track to "quiet" you end up using makeup gain on the compressors, eqs, etc, which raises your noisefloor 12 db when you could have just tracked it at -6 in the first place.
My 2c
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethedrummer View Post
Id say just keep it around -6db, thats the threshold for distortion on most converters. When you track to "quiet" you end up using makeup gain on the compressors, eqs, etc, which raises your noisefloor 12 db when you could have just tracked it at -6 in the first place.My 2c
Really? What decent A/D converter distorts at 6 dB headroom? I'd probably like to return that equipment as faulty... Or am I missing something (sure if you track RMS values to -6 you'll have peaks over 0 dBFS, but I don't usually measure RMS when tracking)?
Old 21st January 2010
Deleted User
Track with a good outboard compressor. It will give you more flexibility in the long run to "experiment" with plugins. Get it sounding awesome when you record it, and then fine tune it (or squash the **** out of it) later to get it to fit in the mix. Why on earth would you want to record something that wasn't awesome? Yeah yeah, money, blah fvckity blah...

Great performances come with great musicians with great headphone mixes, which come from great signal paths. If you have to compress or eq the **** out of something during mix, you're not giving the artist what they need to make a great performance.

Oh, and if you're clipping your inputs, the singer either has the dynamic range of Pavarotti on crystal meth, your you're recording too hot. Turn the **** down. You said you have plugins, turn the **** up later.
Old 21st January 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks all.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search