The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
console blues
Old 26th May 2003
Gear Maniac

console blues

This is really baking me. i'm setting up a small (like tiny) Overdub/production room. We've built it properly and have goodsounding/isolated rooms (although not huge). I've also got some nice outboard for tracking through and some good mics. We're going to be tracking to a 007 (16 I/O). ANYWAY I'm in charge of finding the console. We need it basicly for summing. Most of the eq and compression will get handled at tracking or by plugs. Budget is sadly a concern.
I kinda have a couple of different options
A tascam M3500 for about 2k with all the cables and 3 patchbays.
or save up and get an old soundcraft 2400 or something for like 6k.
We're not trying to compete with the big studio's here. But I don't want to have a tech in all the time to fix some old console.
I just want something that is going to work and not drive me nutz!
Any of you fine people out there got any ideas?
Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated!
H.
Old 26th May 2003
Lives for gear

i don't know how many analog inputs you need or if you need any digital inputs on the console...but have you checked into the small used yamaha digital consoles such as the 03d or 01v? i'd stay away from the original yamaha digital console( 01r?) because it sounds like crap...

i'm a big fan of the 03d..18 analog inputs, 8 digital @ 24bits/48k with compressors and eq's on every channel. i don't use the eq's and such anymore but its nice to know they're there if you need them. and its 4.1 and 5.1 ready. heck, i've even done 7.1 on it using the aux sends.

anyway, they're cheap on ebay.
Old 27th May 2003
One with big hooves

The got ya with the M3500 is that's -10 only. A Ghost isn't a bad option. On the weird but kinda cool and cheap side is the Studiomaster Mixdown desks. I've tracked a few things on them and was always pretty happy with the sound of them. Anything that's roughly 10 years old is going to need some TLC once in a while to keep it going. I have a tech work on my Trident once or twice a year and he fixes all the things I can't. Even still, most of the flakey stuff can be worked around like losing the low mid EQ on one channel or losing a buss because of a bad switch.
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
The got ya with the M3500 is that's -10 only. A Ghost isn't a bad option. On the weird but kinda cool and cheap side is the Studiomaster Mixdown desks. I've tracked a few things on them and was always pretty happy with the sound of them. Anything that's roughly 10 years old is going to need some TLC once in a while to keep it going. I have a tech work on my Trident once or twice a year and he fixes all the things I can't. Even still, most of the flakey stuff can be worked around like losing the low mid EQ on one channel or losing a buss because of a bad switch.
Take a look at the Sountracs Topaz series also. Harvet Gerst still has one in his B room, and the one I bought seems very solid.
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

A&H GS3, around a $1000 I would guess. If you get one in decent condition it will be reliable and its cheap enough not to worry about.

Apologies to Jay, but don't touch a Studiomaster, they were the Beringher of yesteryear. Seriously unreliable, earth induced hum problems, useless eq and a sound that was far from neutral. A Mackie is a possible option as well.

Regards

Roland
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Maniac

Budget board with good sound

You might want to look at the Yamaha PM-2000. I am just getting into mine and I love it so far. I will be moving into my studio in another month. It has the basic features, sound and price tag I needed.

jason
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

A well treated Ghost will run about 5k on the used market. It will most likely be the only money you'll have to spend on it for quite a while. Mackies are currently cheaper and of course they sound like it.The A&H is a nice board but under $1500 in good condition will be hard to find.There is absolutely no headroom or gain in a Studiomaster board.Mixdown model has a decent sound but no level and the eq sucks.Soundtracks is a good budget board, much like a Ghost but a bit thinner on the preamps sound. I have no idea what your budget is, but the Ghost is the best under $10k there is. I also like those older Yamaha's..for great sounding pres they're great.Also very high in tonality is the Ramsa board.If you can find one of the 24X8 mixers you have found a real sleeper.
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
There was a balancing kit for the M3500 although most seem not to have it. And aftermarket upgrdes will cost probably more then they are worth s/h
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by sonic dogg
A well treated Ghost will run about 5k on the used market. It will most likely be the only money you'll have to spend on it for quite a while. Mackies are currently cheaper and of course they sound like it.The A&H is a nice board but under $1500 in good condition will be hard to find.There is absolutely no headroom or gain in a Studiomaster board.Mixdown model has a decent sound but no level and the eq sucks.Soundtracks is a good budget board, much like a Ghost but a bit thinner on the preamps sound. I have no idea what your budget is, but the Ghost is the best under $10k there is. I also like those older Yamaha's..for great sounding pres they're great.Also very high in tonality is the Ramsa board.If you can find one of the 24X8 mixers you have found a real sleeper.
Soundcraft desks are ok but fudementally there isn't alot of difference at this end of the market. As one very knowledgeable electronics guy once told me there are basically only three mic pre designs out there (excluding discreet external pre's or vintage) The one that Neve and SSL and other high end consoles use, the one that all the mid and lower price consoles use and Mackie has its own design. Even when the mic pre shoot out was done in these forums the differences in sound were small even amongst widely varying designs.

I would guess that both the ghost and the A&H use a TL072 or the modern equivelant as I am sure that the Soundtracs will do too. Under $10,000 you can buy several useable consoles. Mix buss headroom seems to be a lot of the problem at this price range.

Regards

Roland

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search