The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU828mk2 vs. RME HDSP9632 real quality difference? Audio Interfaces
Old 19th January 2010
Here for the gear

MOTU828mk2 vs. RME HDSP9632 real quality difference?

Need your help guys.

I'm producing electronic music. home recording. no guitars or natural instruments.

Here's what i got and how i play/record:

Mac Pro Firewire Out > MOTU828mk2 In > MOTU828mk2 CHNL1-8 Out > Yamaha O2R CHNL 1-8 IN
Few Hardware Synths & Keyboard Out > Yamaha O2R CHNL IN
Yamaha O2R Coax Digital Out > MOTU828mk2 Coax Digital IN > MOTU828mk2 Firewire Out > PC Firewire In > Steinberg Nuendo 4 Recording.

I'm using Mac Pro with Logic 9 for Sequenzer and a PC with Windows XP and Nuendo 4 for recording.
I do always record only 1 track at the time and compile/mix all tracks afterwards inside Nuendo to get the final mix of a complete song.

Using this setup, the good thing is, that i don't need any PCI soundcards on Mac or PC.

However, i now got the chance to buy a rme HDSP9632 PCI soundcard quite cheap, but i'm not sure if there would be a quality difference between MOTU and rme.

i've heard a lot that rme is much better than MOTU, but honestly, will i really hear any difference between a track recorded by using rme instead of MOTU?

i can hardly imagine, that people will hear the difference and say, ahh, the first 5 tracks on the CD are recorded with MOTU and the rest with rme,... much better quality

Before i bought the 828mk2 i did recordings by using a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI card and was able to compare the recording quality between the Audiophile recorded song and the same song recorded by usin MOTU. to be honest, i cannot hear any difference at all, so i doubt that someone will hear the difference when it's recorded by using rme.

i might be totally wrong, so what do you think guys? should i keep or should i change?

i'm quite happy with my MOTU828mk2 but of course i'd like to have the best possible quality for my tracks. i'm just asking to be sure if it's worth buying hdsp9632 or can i save that money and go on recording the way i have done before?

thanks for any help in advance!
cheers
frank
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

If your happy with it, don't change. And yes, if you change nobody's going to notice a difference.
Old 27th January 2010
Gear Head

RME Fireface 800

If you do a side-by-side comparison, you would probably notice a difference. I went from using an old Aardvark Q10 to a motu828mkii and everything sounded like garbage. The clocks in the Motu interfaces are awful. I now have an RME fireface 800 and the top end is crisp and clear.

However, it is possible to improve the quality of your current Motu interface. The guys at Black Lion Audio can modify opamps and clock and make it sing. they have audio sample comparisons for you to listen to. When you're comparing them, listen carefully to the high end. The unmodified Motu is muddy. Once you notice it, you can't forget it.

Black Lion Audio | Home

-Sam
Old 27th January 2010
Lives for gear

The difference between the 828 mk2 and the fireface is big (as in "audible")
I don't know if the RME card you are talking about is comparable to the RME fireface though? If yes then it might be a good upgrade for your setup. Also Motu drivers are (were) so unstable compared to the RME rock solid ones.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search